how do you kids pay for this shit?!

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
By now everyone knows what I do for a living. But ANYTHING I own video game wise has been collected from like 1992 up until recently (providing I didn't sell it off). NEO:GEO wise [I own a 2-Slot and like 14 MVS carts + 2 stand alone cabs with RASTAN, and IKARI III: The Rescue + PCB, Marquee and control panel/button layout for MX 5000] it has been a chore since 2003 easily.

Basically, buy what you can when you can.

Before long you'll have an MVS or Candy Cab in your
living room (or garage) and a small but neat collection
of games. My advice though, don't just buy Neo games
to have a BIG collection. Buy only what you know you'll
actually play, play, and replay some more over the next
decade. Which is why save for a few more titles, I'm done
with my collecting.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
You can get a neogeo unmodded system pretty cheap actually. I've seen them as low as a hundred, sometimes lower depending on condition. I mean if you want like a really rugged system that is. Personally myself I never really liked the cheaper games though. I mean there are some good ones but I tend to find the get boring fast. On the other hand, the games that I do like, like Last Blade, are pretty expensive, like 200 plus.

I'm pretty sold on going MVS. Not so much consolized because I think that takes away from the arcade experience. You can generally get a 4 slot machine for like 350, and some games thrown in. At least that is what I have seen them at. The games are def. going to be significantly cheaper, and personally I think they are more collectible, but I know there are tons of people that would disagree. A full kit comes with tons of artwork, and you can also buy some nice shockboxes for them.

You could also go with a consolized MVS system, but generally I have seen these from like 750-450, of course my pricing could be off. I think the price has to do with the type of board you want, and the bios, and the type of job you actually want them to do. There are all kinds of functional consolized systems, some better than others. Open systems, closed systems, s-video, component, etc. Anyway, I think your going to initially pay a lot more for a consolized unit unless you make it yourself, but it will wind up being cheaper in the end than owning a home cart system.

I always if you do get a system and not a arcade (or even with your arcade) you get a custom controller with sanwa parts. You can modify a neostick, or build your own arcade stick, or buy your own online from several different retailers and modify it. But definitely recommended.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
well, when i was renting it was hard to afford much of anything because so much of my paycheck would just go to rent & then bills. i decided to save up & eventually bought an RV & it's completely paid off, so i left my apartment and just live in the RV now. all i pay for now is mainly just gas(i don't drive it much & with gas prices down no big deal!) & occasionally maintenance. i have everything i need in the RV + a gym membership anytime i want a good long shower. i also have a bicycle to get around and thinking about getting a scooter or motorcycle.
but yeah, now i can get games/systems whenever i feel like it. you guys should look into an RV to!.. sure, a new RV is very pricey, but you can easily find used ones for very reasonable prices. :vik:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That's funny. So you live in an RV and play Neo Geo.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I think the key to building my collection was to cut down on buying new games.

I keep this mentality: "Four new current-gen games = One good Neo game."

I quit buying the crap that's out there right now and focused my money on the hot shit.

Living in Japan helped alot, too.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
i though most of us just sold contraband....huh....learn somethin evr-day

im still kicking myself to this day for selling my set about 2yrs back. i scooped up a boxed set with 2 controllers memory card and nam 1975 for under 300. i sold it and now i want an aes again. :(

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
well, when i was renting it was hard to afford much of anything because so much of my paycheck would just go to rent & then bills. i decided to save up & eventually bought an RV & it's completely paid off, so i left my apartment and just live in the RV now. all i pay for now is mainly just gas(i don't drive it much & with gas prices down no big deal!) & occasionally maintenance. i have everything i need in the RV + a gym membership anytime i want a good long shower. i also have a bicycle to get around and thinking about getting a scooter or motorcycle.
but yeah, now i can get games/systems whenever i feel like it. you guys should look into an RV to!.. sure, a new RV is very pricey, but you can easily find used ones for very reasonable prices. :vik:

Wow that's pretty cool.

I don't know. I'm never really gonna be making any REAL money - at least not any time soon. I mean - I pay like 300 bucks to sallie mae a month. 250-350 in credit cards. But my mom pays for just about all my expenses... I suppose that counts as a trust fund... :emb: either way - the only game related purchase I've made in the past half a year is a 360, VF5 and a gamefly subscription.

But I'm gonna scale back in about a month - try and get rid of some of the shit I waste money on, get rid of some cc debt cause I figure on one of my cards alone - if I just pay like 3 times the minimum - I'll save about 2 grand in interest fees.

Anyways, I'm a compositor for a movie. I get paid, but not a lot. Not enough to buy all the video equipment I wanna buy and have enough left over for video games, at least. :tickled:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice! I like that a lot, do you have any cabs in there?! It don't matter though, I always wanted to own a RV, I would most defenately have a cab in there, perhaps a candy...a very small candy, but I wouldn't trade it for living in a house though, I would have both and travel to the south during winter days.

Clessy

Banned
Easiest way to be a neo collector is get a job young when you live with your parents and have no bills. You get a litle crap job making $8 an hour making $1000 a month with nothing to pay. Thats alot of cash money to blow on neo. You'll have a respectable collection in no time.

Or you can go the cheap route like myself.

Neogeo CD and then buy the non cd games on other systems. Mostly PS2 and DC.
Then again you can get an atomiswave or some other cheap arcade board too.

Taito type X2 are nice also ><

haha I didn't care at all about priorities. When I bought my US Metal Slug 1 AES it cost me 1 missed a car payment, 2 missed credit card payments, cell phone turned off and the girl I was dating at the time.......I still stand by my decision.

nice one:buttrock:

now, where the wife put her purse:smirk:

GodOfHardcore

Galford's Armourer
Lets just say I'm a former pastor FOR A REASON :lolz:

Arcade sticks are hard to write off as ministry expenses