Scart Convertors - AES RGB Comparison

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Updated - go to page 4 for AES RGB/Composite screenshot comparisons.

=====================================================

I'm trying to find the best solution for getting true SCART RGB quality video out of my Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, and possibly a Neo Geo down the road.

I've heard there are Scart Convertors out there. Has anyone had experience with these? Are they taking the RGB signal or the composite signal and upconverting it?

Found this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-Video...70|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It looks like that converter autodetects composite or RGB, which is nice.

I don't know about the HDMI upscaling one that is there, but I have an Atlona/CYM RGB scart-component converter and it works great. I think I even bought it from the same seller for 60 bucks or so. It's the next best thing to having a true RGB monitor. I have hooked up the Genesis, Master System, Saturn, Neo Geo CD, and SNES up to it and they all look fabulous.

That being said, I have no idea how well the converter you linked to does upscaling to 720p, maybe someone else can chime in on that. I'm still running SDTV up in my crib.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
the 8-pin DIN rgb scart cable for the neo geo only transfers mono audio. doesn't matter for my rgb scart->yuv converter (its like the one u linked to) because it doesn't transmit audio. I just use the stereo headphone socket. the scart standard supports stereo sound.
The saturn and dreamcast output stereo sound- u can get rgb scart cables on ebay for either of these- they would probably both throughput stereo sound.
Probably that hdmi converter u linked to would throughput whatever scart input you put into it- eg mono for neo, stereo for the others. Maybe ask the seller. That looks like one way to go for the saturn and dreamcast. If u have a console with optical out then u would use that for audio.
converting rgb to hdmi would probably get a good result, but usually u try to avoid converting the video too much between the console and the monitor. a monitor with rgb scart input would be good if u can find one. Any converter u get would have to have stereo throughput, unless the console has a heaphone connector (usually older consoles?) or optical audio, or u want to mod the console(or maybe u can mod the rgb cable?).

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:dreamcastav
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:saturnav
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:neogeoav

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Zerminator: Yes, that is the one I have. Mine is branded "Atlona" but it is the same manufacturer, the only difference is that the Atlona ones have a US AC adapter, with the one posted above you would have to buy a generic adapter or power converter.

I forgot about the audio thing. That box needs to be modded for audio, although it is really simple. Here's a link to a previous thread where I posted how to do the audio mod:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177830&highlight=atlona

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Thanks, I sent Chaotic a PM about his homemade Saturn Scart cables. Couldn't you mod the Scart cable to have RCA outs extending from it too? That way you don't have to mod the convertor box. I'll see what Chaotic says...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would be fairly easy, as long as you know which cables are the audio wires. Personally, I'd rather mod the box and never have to worry about it again since it is the same process. You could also just add audio RCA jacks to the system as well. I had to do that to my Master System since using a Genesis 2 scart cable with a 32x adapter doesn't pass the audio signal.

I'm thinking about making a CMVS with a scart out to use with it, but I'm lazy and I already have one with a Neobitz in it.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Do you know where a good guide is for adding Saturn RCA ports to the back of the system?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hmm. Wouldnt it cheaper to buy and RGB>Component converter you can use with your own pinout with like a 8 pin din socket on each console?

R, G, B, S, Ground, +5v, Audio Left, Audio Right.

JROK offers a component only board.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Slightly cheaper, but the cost of making custom cables for each machine you want to use with it is expensive, not to mention a pain in the ass.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What do you mean each machine. I'm talking about install an 8 pin din with your pinout on each console to standardize it. 1 cable, 1 encoder.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Right, so you'd modify each machine you own with a custom video/audio plug rather than simply making a cable for it? :lol:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What the hell are you talking about? You would use the same cable and encoder for each machine. You sound like you would want to make a cable for each system. Why would you do that?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Let me give you an example since you arent following it.

I have these systems:

Saturn
Dreamcast
Sega CD
Turbo Grafx

I have 1 RGB cable that connects to my RGB>Component box. The RGB cable fits into an 8 pin din which is installed on each console. (4) 8 pin din sockets, (1) RGB Cable, (1) RGB>Component converter.

What aren't you understanding or did you misread what I wrote? SCART works the same way so I'm confused as to why you cant grasp it.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I think I've decided to go with the Scart -> HDMI box. Seller says it should work great with a Saturn. Ordering Saturn and Dreamcast homemade Scart cables from Chaotic.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Should? Reminds me of when I asked the Neo Flash team if the Super Converter 2 was going to be 100% compatible with all MVS games with no problems and they said "It should be 100% compatible".

I hope he offers a refund if it doesn't since he said it should.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
In terms of time, fitting an 8 pin DIN socket into all of your systems is pretty time consuming, and I don't think most could do it..

The Sega CD doesn't need one though, that plugs into the Genesis.

I've got one of these RGB SCART to Component converter boxes (from eBay seller speciality audio) and it doesn't work very well on my TV. However I think it is just my crappy TV and I don't have any other with Component input to try it on..

I wonder how the HDMI one fares, you'll have to post here with some results please once you get it Zerrminator.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very true my friend. I dont know how compatible the signals are from the consoles as well for component or HDMI. If it's gonna be 59.xxhz like the Neo you will see some funny stuff happening on you tv if it doesn't like the signal.

Let us know Zerm how it comes out.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Well I've tried regular RGB SCART, XRGB upscan converter and RGB SCART to Component converter and none of them work flawlessly on my Samsung "Bordeaux" 32" LCD HDTV.

I've basically told myself that I'll have to use my 14" "Bush" CRT via RGB SCART until I can get something like a big Hantarex video monitor sometime in the future..

The Samsung rocks as a PC display and for hi-def.. but for SD it is the worst piece of crap ever..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My brother's samsung sucks for PC as it only has a VGA input, I was surprised that it didnt have at least a DVI input.

I would love to have a SCART TV here, that would rock. Anyone in Hawaii by chance selling one?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Converting video....eeeuuuuggghhh.

Should just try and find a CRT with scart. Would be better overall. I can't imagine them being expensive, especially if it's an old display.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
lachlan: Here in North America SCART effectively doesn't exist. That's why component is so awesome on the old systems, up until recently we've never had any quality connections for them. Using the transcoder on a good CRT is the second best thing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
lachlan: Here in North America SCART effectively doesn't exist. That's why component is so awesome on the old systems, up until recently we've never had any quality connections for them. Using the transcoder on a good CRT is the second best thing.

Hey we're in the same boat, I don't think we've ever had scart down here.

You could buy a JROK and build that into a scart cable. Kinda like what Xian was going on about. It would work.