Otomedius coming to 360

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
A horizontal shmup by Konami, originally released last year in the arcades.

http://www.konami.jp/products/otome_g/
http://blogs.dion.ne.jp/konaken/archives/7077608.html

The full title of the 360 port is "Otomedius G (Gorgeous)". Release date hasn't been set yet. Looks like it's going to include some new content (at least one new character). Support for up to 3 players (in VS mode). Not sure if it's going to be a retail release or an XBLA release.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Never heard of it before, but after looking at some vids on youtube, this looks really fucking good. Faster paced Gradius with boobage. I'm not a big fan of video game boobage, especially in my shooters, but I am a fan of Gradius. That Egyptian stage looks nuts. Love the how the sarcophagai split open to reveal turrets inside. Bosses look nice too.

Another reason to be picking up a Japanese 360 in the future. This game will never see the light of day on these shores.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
After doing a bit more poking around, it seems that the MSRP was "unofficially" leaked. If true, price is going to be ~$65, which means a (region-locked) retail release is 99% likely.

Another nice thing about the game is that most of the characters' ships are modeled after the main ships from other Konami shmups (Gradius, Salamander, Twinbee, Xexex).

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Well, people were predicting this would be a Wii release. Personally, I'm glad I'll actually have a chance to play some version of this game as there was no hope in hell of me coming anywhere near the actual Otomedius arcade cab.

Great news, especially since Gradius VI is still MIA.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I thought the game would be perfect on the Wii. I head the game used a touch screen for where you would drop a bomb.

Sucks it's the 360, that means we'll never get a chance to play it and I don't have the cash for ANOTHER 360 to play the few Japanese exclusive games that come out for it.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I too was worried about how the touch screen parts would be implemented on the 360. I had imagined that they would be performed with the right analog stick and have a cursor show up or something. But after actually watching a video of the system in action, I'm not really worried about it now.

At around the 0:45 mark, we can see that the main game becomes paused when the touching sequence is activated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ppF3c5kWM&feature=related

Now, I believe that a D-pad/single analog stick would function just fine for this game. Konami could just increase the ammount of time the "touching" sequence lasts to make it more tolerable.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
YuckMud said:
Sucks it's the 360, that means we'll never get a chance to play it and I don't have the cash for ANOTHER 360 to play the few Japanese exclusive games that come out for it.

Well, if you're any fan of manic shmups (Cave) and don't have thousands to drop on a DDP Black + Ketsui board, price of admission on a Japanese 360 is worth it alone. Then you've got Shiki 3 and the recent Raiden compilation. More to come, surely, at this rate...

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah, I may have to consider getting a 360 for this game.

It's a really fun game, but it will be tough using the super bombs that usually utilize the touch screen. Sometimes you had to drag more than one thing. You have some characters who drag a bomb icon as well as their option pods.

I'll bet this game will be a stand-alone game, not an XBLA title. At least, I think Konami would consider it a full-fledged new game.

Kiken

Camel Slug
subcons said:
Well, if you're any fan of manic shmups (Cave) and don't have thousands to drop on a DDP Black + Ketsui board, price of admission on a Japanese 360 is worth it alone. Then you've got Shiki 3 and the recent Raiden compilation. More to come, surely, at this rate...

Exactly. It's worth snagging a Japanese unit for Ketsui alone (Ketsui-Box 360).