Holographic MVS Cart Labels

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
When did SNK start making the labels on MVS carts holographic? Is there a list of which carts have holographic labels and which ones don't? I want to check out some of my carts and verify that they're legit labels.

neo_frank

Captain Shlong,
I am sure someone can give you a more time-frame related answer, but from what I remember SNK America was pretty hap-hazard about being consistent with arcade related releases, wether it was cart color or numbering or holographic labels. So I am pretty sure it was just based on what they were making at the time, and the quantity of the run they were doing. I never remember seeing/hearing about any actual documentation...but maybe someone that worked at SNK can weigh in....nightmare tony?? :)

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It was sometime in '95, I believe.

KoF '97, '98, Real Bout Special, Real Bout 2, Shock Troopers (1 for sure and 2nd maybe), SSIV all have 'em, off the top of my head.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Yes this is interesting I have a few of both. I always perfer the holo but im picky like that.

and like mention before I think it was done for pirating reasons. Kinda tight they did it I say.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A very inconsistent feature for SNK. Even though it came out around 95 there were many games that had both holo and regular labels. Kinda pointless "new" feature.

A lot of bootleg/hacked carts mimicked this feature, for example, I own a KOF 10th Anniversary MVS cartridge that has a halo label. Also I've seen a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 cart with a halo label

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, it was way inconsistent. I don't think my Metal Slug has it. They look cool though. :emb:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Aaron D said:
Yeah, it was way inconsistent. I don't think my Metal Slug has it. They look cool though. :emb:

Once I actually had 3 copies of Matrimelee and 2 had the holo and one didnt and the one that didnt was the number between the other 2.

Also my Shock Troopers didnt have one either but everyone else had one.

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
I have a Last Blade with the holographic label.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Xian Xi said:
A very inconsistent feature for SNK. Even though it came out around 95 there were many games that had both holo and regular labels. Kinda pointless "new" feature.

Yeah, both my Shock Troopers and RBFF2 have regular labels. It seems like SNK only used them if they had them on hand at the time. The chances of a game having a hologram label seem more random than anything else.