Why does Nintendo like to ruin their own products? (VC related)

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
nintendowiifanboy.com said:
Of course, there has to be bad news, and it's kind of big: Herman says that Nintendo is not letting publishers add online functionality to games, VC or retail, and probably will continue this restriction throughout 2007.

Nintendo needs to cut the crap and stop protecting the fucking kids from transparent objects and bats...

Source

In other news:

That Same Article said:
According to Herman, who, of course, can't give details, SNK expects to release "a certain limited number of titles per month," which is enough to have us cheering, because that's a lot more than the N64 is getting. It's also a much brisker release schedule than the Neo-Geo ever had. The best news, in our opinion? Herman is interested in the Virtual Console as a means of releasing lesser-known and niche games.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Discuss.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'd love to hear straight from the people in charge at Nintendo as to what they have against VC games being online.

I can't imagine that if Mario Kart for the SNES or N64 hit the VC with online functionality that its sales and usage wouldn't be anything short of explosive.

They started to get things [online] right with the DS, now they just need to take that next step and start implementing online options into more of their stuff.

Also, this quote is interesting:

"Of course, there has to be bad news, and it's kind of big: Herman says that Nintendo is not letting publishers add online functionality to games, VC or retail, and probably will continue this restriction throughout 2007."

It could be that they [Nintendo] are waiting until '08 to start getting serious with online play, but whether that's true or not, a little more leniency towards online gameplay wouldn't do anything but help them in the long run.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Oh fuck.

If the mainstream becomes aware of Neo-Geo, this website is going to be flooded with new user's...

It may be the real death of NG.com as we know it. :very_ang:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Whart a fucking retarded decision by Nintendo. They let online pass them right the fuck by during the last generation of console wars, and they're obstinant about doing it again now??

WTF, more online games can only be good for them. Maybe I don't understand enough about the costs related to issues like these, but this seems like a boneheaded decision.

Fuck, if KOF games were available for VC w/ online capability I would buy a Wii tomorrow.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I love the Wii and DS but I am starting to think that Nintendo just doesn't really know how to make the whole on line thing work. Sure there are DS games that are Wi-fi and the Wii is on line with varsious channels but other than that, I just don't think they have the experience to make it work.

A lot of the Wi-Fi DS games have a limited amount of players (no more than four for the most part) and it can be hard to find someone to play against. And then you have the whole friends codes thing. I just don't think they know how to make it work and make it profitable.

As far as not letting other companies do it...I have no idea what the problem is there.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I dont like playing games online honestly.

Soniku

Gameoz said:
I just don't think they know how to make it work and make it profitable.

Then figure it out!

Making it profitable is easy... Just do it. Making it work is another story, but I mean come on... Force developers to take a course in TCP/IP implementation or something... It should hardly be an issue.

ResOGlas said:
Oh fuck.

If the mainstream becomes aware of Neo-Geo, this website is going to be flooded with new user's...

It may be the real death of NG.com as we know it. :very_ang:

...I somehow doubt that there's much to worry about...

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
I dont like playing games online honestly.

I use to feel that way. However, after playing COD2, COD3, GRAW, GOW ect. on Live, I have seen how much replay on line play gives a game. I have spent more time on line playing most of those games than off line. The one downside to on line play is that once the on line community dries up, that's it. That really sucks for games like F.E.A.R. ect. that are good games but only offer one player modes off line.

That being said, when it comes to Nintendo systems, I really don't care about on line play. I just want good games for the DS and Wii and for the most part, that is what has happened.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Soniku said:
Then figure it out!

Making it profitable is easy... Just do it. Making it work is another story, but I mean come on... Force developers to take a course in TCP/IP implementation or something... It should hardly be an issue.

...I somehow doubt that there's much to worry about...

I really don't think they care. It may not be worth the effort for the amount of money they think they will bring in (due to sales) from doing so. Their on line efforts have been half assed so far.

For the most part, I don't really care if the Wii/DS are on line as long as they pump out the quality games.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Gameoz said:
I use to feel that way. However, after playing COD2, COD3, GRAW, GOW ect. on Live, I have seen how much replay on line play gives a game. I have spent more time on line playing most of those games than off line. The one downside to on line play is that once the on line community dries up, that's it. That really sucks for games like F.E.A.R. ect. that are good games but only offer one player modes off line.

That being said, when it comes to Nintendo systems, I really don't care about on line play. I just want good games for the DS and Wii and for the most part, that is what has happened.

I played Counter Strike online for like five years.

Its fun, but honestly, I like to be able to see and throw things at the people Im playing with.

I mean, yeah, Pokemon is going to be cool online because I wont have to go out looking for people to play with, but for the most part, meh.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It's either...

1. No online
2. Shitty online, now
3. Good online, later

Pick one. (And no, they can't just improve it later; the key to XBLive's success is its uniformity.)

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'd like to see some form of online implementation done where you can pop in a game you want to play, find a server, and search for people who want to play the same game. Select a guy (or couple of people) who have a good connection and BAM, you're playing online. The best part of this sort of implementation is that you could use older games (think Mario Kart Double Dash, Virtua Fighter 4 + 5, Halo 1) that never had online functions implemented. THAT would be the bomb! :D

I'd love to see it happen, but it probably won't. At least not for a long time.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Why don't you guys like online?

I wish we had more and better choices on games across all platforms that are online. Seems like now, if you want to play online, you're pretty much limited to FPS/TPS or MMO games.

I'd like to see a greater variety of games online - Smash Bros./power stone fighters, puzzle games, party games, co-op 2d beat em ups, etc.

To Gameoz - I can't believe you can't get into online games. It ramps up the replay value of every game substantially. Most of us don't always have friends around sitting next to us all the time, so it's ideal.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
GregN. said:

I wish we had more and better choices on games across all platforms that are online. Seems like now, if you want to play online, you're pretty much limited to FPS/TPS or MMO games.

I'd like to see a greater variety of games online - Smash Bros./power stone fighters, puzzle games, party games, co-op 2d beat em ups, etc.

To Gameoz - I can't believe you can't get into online games. It ramps up the replay value of every game substantially. Most of us don't always have friends around sitting next to us all the time, so it's ideal.
First, the reason you only see FPS and MMO games online is because they're easy to predict client-side. Run, shoot, think, live. (couldn't resist the HL boxquote.) Smash Bros would be hell to network, simple because of the precie timing required in some cases. Puzzle games, maybe... they're not that popular. Party games are for parties. Don't know why we don't see beat-em-ups online.

Also, I absolutely hate buying two copies of every FPS I play; one for PC that's playable seriously, and one for the 360 to play with my friends. It sucks. Balls.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
GregN. said:

I do love on line games. There are four or five 360 games that I played a ton of on Live. However, once the on line community dries up, the off line portion better be good. Nintendo makes great off line games, so as far as the Wii and DS go, I am happy with what they have done.

On line really on works if the game is very popular. I realized this when I really got in to Winning Eleven for the DS. I could never find anyone to play and it sucks just starring at a screen hoping someone is going to want to play. Also, as I mention above, if games don't have great off line options (no multi-player) what are you left with with the on line community is gone. Let's look in to F.E.A.R. and Battlefield ect. in a year. Bomberman Zero anyone?

I am just saying that I prefer the game to have great off line multi-player. (Nintendo does this) If they add on line at some point, that is great. I have a 360 if I feel the need to go and curb stomp someone.

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
The whole Buddy code system is just stupid.
I refuse to go trough all that trouble just to play Mario Kart, fck that, I'll rather just
play my regular 360 games and be done with.
I really wish Nintendo would follow the same Fate Sega did and just get the fck out of the hardware business.
I still wish it had been Nintendo rather than Sega and the DC kick the sh*t of the Cube.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
one of the major gripes i've had with Nintendo and the DS is their stupidity for online games. I mean the DS c'mon is great for online, if they would do it right. PSP online kicks the shit out of the DS, but with a 2nd screen, hmmm, what could you do with that...hmmm...say virtual keyboard for chat...hmmm....spell lists....hmmm..mmporg? Phantasy Star Online DS would kick ass if done right, i can't believe it hasn't been done already and it would be so much easier to do on the DS than the PSP. But for now, my PSP gets all my portable online play. Mario Kart DS is boring as hell. you can only take so much of racing with no options for so long. Even Twisted Metal for PSP being released at launch had better online options and play than anything Nintendo has done even to this date. But Socom online is the shit and until Nintendo comes out with something better, it will be Socom for a while.

I do agree with most of this post, Nintendo really doesn't have a clue when it comes to online play, but what do you expect from the company that said "consumers aren't interested with online gaming"

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I haven't read through all the messages..VC and other games not being online is B.S.

This whole protect the kids shit is a cop-out from having to put forth the time and resources to make anything playable online.

This makes Nintendo look clueless at this point, we have virtual console, we can exchange bullshit Mii's...when do you think Nintendo will catch on? I'll tell you when, when it's too late, they will miss this train for sure. The only real question is; will they get OFR (online for real) in the middle of this war, or once it's over? Fuck trading Mii's and new channels, let me play against my friends out of state.

PREDICTION:Nintendo gets online gaming friendly in late 08'.. LOL

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Jeez, where the fuck did you guys grow up? I grew up playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine by myself, or with a couple friends in my room. Sure, it usually ended with me throwing my Nomad at the wall, but that's not the point. These games weren't online when they came out, why should they be now?

The VC owns. I embrace it any way they decide to drop it, with online or not. Hopefully, I don't sound like HanafudaX. :crying:

Angel

Morden's Lackey
well where i grow up, adults have this thing called a job. You know, it's where they go for 8+ hours a day to be productive for a specific company and get compensated for their time. Well, at this magical place called a job, are different "shifts" that you can work, sometimes, so when you have this thing called a Job, and people have different jobs, working at different times, it's sometimes hard to have a friend come over to play on the same TV. Then theirs another thing where I grow up called, Family, you know, where 2 or more people live in the same household and relatively like each other. Well where I grow up, my wife and my baby don't appreciate me playing games when we could be having family time, so sometimes people have to play at night, which makes it hard for other adults to come over and play.

I believe you get it by now why online play is good. It adds alot of flexibility to multiplayer games.

This is just Nintendo shooting themselves in the foot again. They spouted that consumers didn't want online, they spouted that they didn't need 3rd party to be successful, blah blah blah, i'm suprised they are doing as good as they are right now all things considered, plus this doesn't help their cutesy kiddy image, which despite what ninty fanboys think, is more and more true by the day. Nintendo is kiddy, plain and simple. Just look at the games and how they act.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Where I grew up, there was this other magical thing, it was called a fucking wanker. It's just so happens to be that you are one. Sounds like you're done with gaming anyway. Go home and be a family man. Don't take it out on me that your dumb ass decided to sacrifice your freedom and get married to a woman who doesn't let you do what you want to do.

If you can't see that Nintendo has corrected the problems that plagued their last two systems with Wii, then you're blind as a bat. Outside of your, "Boo hoo, I can't pway games when I wants to, waaaaah" attitude, it sounds like you can't appreciate good games anyway. Go play your Playstation 3 and get the fuck out of Wii threads.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I don't know if they've really corrected anything yet...

From where I'm standing it looks like they've created more problems for themselves.

F:A: N:B: OYs need to relax

Ajax

15 Year Member
How do you figure?

Wii is kicking PS3's ass and it's on it's way to overtaking Xbox 360 too. Seems like proof enough for me.

I'm not really a rabid Nintendo fan boy (I suppose I have a mild case), but with a thread title like this one, what do you expect?

Basically, the only people who say Nintendo is a childish company who aims their stuff at kids are pretentious douchebags like Angel who pride themselves on being adults with jobs that they feel are important.

Not everybody cares about online capabilities. I know I don't give a toss about it. I can't count the titles that I've played online on one hand, and only one of those stands out as being more than average. The core of gaming has never changed and Nintendo seems to be the only company that realizes that. I'll take multiplayer Wario Ware with a bunch of people in the same room over any bullshit Xbox Live shovelware title anyday.

Think about what you're saying here: You're pissed because Virtual Console games don't have online implementation. Nintendo started the VC because they wanted to give younger gamers a chance to see what they missed, how it originally was. The way I remember it, Gunstar Heroes was always two players on one console. Now, if they add online play to VC games, how exactly does that preserve the games as they were?

Soniku

Aaron D said:
How do you figure?

Wii is kicking PS3's ass and it's on it's way to overtaking Xbox 360 too. Seems like proof enough for me.

I'm not really a rabid Nintendo fan boy (I suppose I have a mild case), but with a thread title like this one, what do you expect?

Basically, the only people who say Nintendo is a childish company who aims their stuff at kids are pretentious douchebags like Angel who pride themselves on being adults with jobs that they feel are important.

Not everybody cares about online capabilities. I know I don't give a toss about it. I can't count the titles that I've played online on one hand, and only one of those stands out as being more than average. The core of gaming has never changed and Nintendo seems to be the only company that realizes that. I'll take multiplayer Wario Ware with a bunch of people in the same room over any bullshit Xbox Live shovelware title anyday.

Think about what you're saying here: You're pissed because Virtual Console games don't have online implementation. Nintendo started the VC because they wanted to give younger gamers a chance to see what they missed, how it originally was. The way I remember it, Gunstar Heroes was always two players on one console. Now, if they add online play to VC games, how exactly does that preserve the games as they were?

Chill out there Captain Angry.

I agree with you on most points, but no matter how you look at it, to bar developers from implementing online elements in games is absurd. If Nintendo doesn't want to network their own games then fine, be like that, but don't ruin it for other developers...

There's nothing wrong with online play in old games, it's still preserving it as it was as long as you don't change the actual gameplay... And well graphics and all that crap. The ability to play a game with someone whose not in the same room as you and possibly not even on the same continent as you doesn't change things one bit (aside from making multiplayer modes more accessible and increasing the obese population). If you don't like it, then don't utilize it. :rolleyes:

Oh and most of the people who claim that Nintendo is "childish" are of the hip-hop persuasion and only own Sony consoles... They think that they're "adults", but they're nothing more than the most immature tools on the planet of whom all belong in cages... :annoyed:

Last edited: