68K's guide to overclocking your Neo Geo AES

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I've had several members show interest in this, so I thought I would post a guide for you technically inclined folks to try for yourself. So anyways, lets begin shall we!

Before you begin! Make sure you have a basic understanding as to how electronics work, and how to service them, including soldering. If you don't feel comfortable doing this to your Neo, don't do it, simple as that.

Also, this guide is for the early-revision AES console only! (see below)
DSCN0626.jpg

There is one other major revision that has not been tested and this guide does not apply to it! This console's serial # is 015662.

There are some incompatibility issues with some games, so this guide will show you how to install a switch so you can select between stock and overclocked modes.

-Overclocking F.A.Q.-

Q: Does this kill my system or shorten it's lifespan?
A: No. This misconception has been brought on by the PC overclocking world. Increases in CPU voltage input and Heat are the only damaging elements to a CPU. The Neo Geo's 68000 CPU barely runs hotter than room tempurature with even the most extreme overclock.

Q: Won't the games run in fast-forward?
A:This is the most frequently-asked question regarding overclocking. Overclocking does not physically speed up the gameplay beyond the speed of a stock game system.

-some basic parts you will need:-

*4-pin metal can crystal oscillator. This is where your new CPU speed will come from since it generates the clock frequency that is marked on the top of the piece. So if you find an oscillator that says "14.000MHz", when installed, your Neo will run at 14.000 MHz. Make sure you find an oscillator that is within reason and not something obserd like 40 MHz. (most small electronics stores will have these. Radioshack does not).

*A small amount of solid core wire for VCC and GND, as well as a thin wire for the clock signal. A single wire from an IDE cable works perfectly for the clock wire.

*An X-Acto knife

*A small set of clippers

*A 2-position, 3-pin toggle switch

OK I assume anyone trying this already knows how to open your AES, so we'll skip that. Looking at the motherboard, the CPU (a Motorola or Toshiba 68HC000) is located above the cartridge slot. This is what we will be working with (see below in red).

Neomb.jpg

Step 1: Prepping the CPU. Now, locate pin #15 on the CPU as this is the Clock input pin. This is where it can get tricky and a little nerve-wrecking, you will need to detach pin 15 from the motherboard in order to disconnect the CPU from the 12 MHz clock signal. I've found that it's easier to clip the pin close to the board as possible and raise it *slowly* with an X-Acto knife. If that pin breaks off of the CPU, your AES is done. Be extremely careful doing this!!

If your done with that, make sure your raised pin is not touching the other pins next to it or anything else. Carefully hook up your Neo and verify that it *DOES NOT BOOT*. If it does not boot a game, then you can move on to the next step.
_____
Step 2: Wiring the Oscillator for power. Step 1 is the hardest part, so pat yourself on the back for finishing it :). Now we need to take your 4-pin metal oscillator and install it. What we are also going to do is install a switch that will allow for stock 12 MHz operation as well as overclocked operation.

Looking at your oscillator, note the corner that has a small black dot. Now with that noted, look at the diagram below to see how we will have to wire this into the console (Note, this is a generic diagram and "10 MHz" is your clock output pin):

crystal.jpg

Now we need to find a source for a Ground and +5V. Finding a ground is pretty simple and not worth mentioning. If you need help finding a good ground point shoot me a PM. As for +5V, this is pretty simple as well, we will be pulling it from the voltage regulator located below the RESET button. Looking at the front of the console, you will want to hook up your +5V line to the left pin. See below:

Picture of Voltage Regulator with +5V wire attached.

Step 3: Wiring up the clock signal wires.
OK, so you have your Ground and +5V wired up to the oscillator, now lets wire up our clock signals and install our speed selection switch. Use your small wires for clock signals!! What we will do is run a wire from a point on the board where the original 12 MHz signal can be accessed, to one end of your switch, and a wire from our oscillator to the other end, with the middle pin (common) going to the raised CPU pin.

Our 12 MHz signal can be accessed on the underside of the board where pin 15 on the CPU was located. Simply attach a wire to the solder pad and reinstall your motherboard in it's case with the wire ready to attach to your switch (pic below):

Click to see the CPU pins on the backside of the motherboard.

Click here to see a closer view of the CPU pins on the underside of the motherboard.

Click here to see a photo of how everything should be installed.

Last, make sure your oscillator is mounted so it won't move around inside the console. Hot glue works great!

Triple check everything to ensure it's all installed properly!! If you are uncertain about anything please send me a PM and I will help you out.

OK, mount your switch how you'd like, put it all back together, and test it out! You should have a Neo that can run in stock and Uber mode!!

VIDEO: Metal slug 2 @ 16 MHz. Right-click, save-as

Any questions you have post them here! Also, if you've done this don't be afraid to post your results. I would like to compile a list of compatible/incompatible games once enough people give this a try. Oh, and Razoola, your Unibios 2.3 works flawlessly at 16 MHz :buttrock:

Last edited:

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
Great guide. I've actually been interested in doing this for some time. Would this cause metal slug 2 to run uninhibited by slowdown?

Last edited:

20 Year Member
RATM said:
Great guide. I've actually been interested in doing this for some time. Would this cause metal slug 2 to run inhibited by slowdown?

I don't have MS2, but I would be curious to see how it would run :).

This guide will work with any Neo Geo board, but the boards vary in design (especially MVS) so you would need to find your own +5V points, etc...

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
You also have to remember that many game start currupting gfx when overclocking but I think I have though of a way to help reduce that.

Firstly is it possible to change the clock speed on the fly without damaging the CPU? If so read on...

Because most writes to the GFX hardware will be written in the vertical blank period and the cause of the gfx glitches is the GFX HW not overclocking to match the cpu... What one needs to do is simply monitor the 68k lines until a vblank interupt is triggered. At that point you lower the clock speed to the normal 12mhz. You then have a timer that would keep the cpu at 12mhz for a very short period (slightly more than the time it takes for the cpu to come out of vblank). At that point you up the frequency back to the overclock. This would certinally fix many of the gfx glitches.

Is it possible?

Raz

20 Year Member
Razoola said:
You also have to remember that many game start currupting gfx when overclocking but I think I have though of a way to help reduce that.

Firstly is it possible to change the clock speed on the fly without damaging the CPU? If so read on...

Because most writes to the GFX hardware will be written in the vertical blank period and the cause of the gfx glitches is the GFX HW not overclocking to match the cpu... What one needs to do is simply monitor the 68k lines until a vblank interupt is triggered. At that point you lower the clock speed to the normal 12mhz. You then have a timer that would keep the cpu at 12mhz for a very short period (slightly more than the time it takes for the cpu to come out of vblank). At that point you up the frequency back to the overclock. This would certinally fix many of the gfx glitches.

Is it possible?

Raz

I have one game experiencing these corruptions; Blazing Star. Thats why I wanted to mention the "incompatibilities". I've tried two methods of switching the CPU speed while the AES was running. CHanging the clock frequency does not damage the CPU in any way since it's essentially just a 5V pulse.

1. Just flipping the switch :)

2. Installing a momentary push-button switch that grounds the !HALT line on the CPU, halting it, then changing speeds.

Both methods just cause the Neo Geo to reboot unfortunately. I don't have a variable oscillator either unfortunately.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
what happens to the oscillator if it doesnt get the 5v it needs, say 4v?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
68HC000 said:
I have one game experiencing these corruptions; Blazing Star. Thats why I wanted to mention the "incompatibilities". I've tried two methods of switching the CPU speed while the AES was running. CHanging the clock frequency does not damage the CPU in any way since it's essentially just a 5V pulse.

1. Just flipping the switch :)

2. Installing a momentary push-button switch that grounds the !HALT line on the CPU, halting it, then changing speeds.

Both methods just cause the Neo Geo to reboot unfortunately. I don't have a variable oscillator either unfortunately.

If you use the switch flipping method with a unibios in, does the system still reset or do you get some error message on screen?

Raz

20 Year Member
Razoola said:
If you use the switch flipping method with a unibios in, does the system still reset or do you get some error message on screen?

Raz

With the Unibios installed it's a mix of rebooting and an address error. I'll snap some pics when I get home.

20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
what happens to the oscillator if it doesnt get the 5v it needs, say 4v?

The oscillator just converts the input VCC to a frequency. The result would be a 4V frequency that the CPU probably would not operate on.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Oooooohhh I cant wait to do this to my Neo-Geo tomorrow morning! Thanks for the info man! This is really awesome work here man! Thanks a Million and let me know when you get my 3DO to overclock! ^^

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
68HC000 said:
The oscillator just converts the input VCC to a frequency. The result would be a 4V frequency that the CPU probably would not operate on.

I think this means you have to wait for exactly the right moment between switching speeds. The halt way should work but it its held low for a very short period or else it will cause a reset due to the watchdog.

Raz

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are there any speeds that are compatible with all games you tested so far?

Maybe 13mhz or just 12.5mhz? Would you even notice a difference at those speeds?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also would one of those pots that they use for speaker balance work?

Left is Stock
Right is OC
Middle is both

Start on the left then gradually turn to the right at a certain point. I dunno, just a thought.

20 Year Member
The lowest speed I tested was 14.3 MHz which produced the same results. Overclocking to 12.5 and 13 MHz would produce performance increases that would be difficult to detect.

Using a pot would likely corrupt the clock signal and cause it to lock/reboot, however, a variable oscillator will allow you to adjust a clock frequency without any sort of interruption.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Hi guys,

For a total tech newbie, I have to ask, what's the point of overclocking the Neo?

Minimizing the for-the-most-part-non-existant-slowdown? I thought that was designed into the shooters purposely.

You guys are freaks (but I have mad respect for you).

20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Minimizing the for-the-most-part-non-existant-slowdown? I thought that was designed into the shooters purposely.

Ever played Metal Slug? ;)

The lag does help make some games easier, but in the case of games like MS2, it can get annoying. This modification increases the CPU's overall throughput allowing it to tackle greater loads without slacking.

Last edited:

tsukaesugi

68HC000 said:

Actually, aside from teh romzors, no.

I've always been a Samurai Spirits / Gekka no Kenshi / KOF fan.

Thanks for the answer.

P.S.

You guys are FREAKS!

20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Actually, aside from teh romzors, no.

I've always been a Samurai Spirits / Gekka no Kenshi / KOF fan.

Thanks for the answer.

P.S.

You guys are FREAKS!

High-speed neo gaming!

tsukaesugi

68HC000 said:

The lag does help make some games easier, but in the case of games like MS2, it can get annoying. This modification increases the CPU's overall throughput allowing it to tackle greater loads without slacking.

P.P.S.

You edited your answer and made it clearer. Thanks.

P.P.P.S.

You are still totally and utterly freaky-deaky. I seem to recall a thread where you mentioned overclocking a Super Famicom. F R E A K O U T

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
68HC000 I admire your efforts experimenting with the overclocking of the system, especially going to the trouble of presenting a how too and wish you good luck with the project.

I don't have MS2, but I would be curious to see how it would run .

Does this mean that you have had positive feedback confirming that this reduces the slowdown issues with MS2, or is this an assumption ?

20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
68HC000 I admire your efforts experimenting with the overclocking of the system, especially going to the trouble of presenting a how too and wish you good luck with the project.

Does this mean that you have had positive feedback confirming that this reduces the slowdown issues with MS2, or is this an assumption ?

A member of my forums has confirmed that the metal slug series, especially MS2, showed lots of improvement. He was also able to confirm the Blazing Star incompatibility.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
68HC000 said:
A member of my forums has confirmed that the metal slug series, especially MS2, showed lots of improvement. He was also able to confirm the Blazing Star incompatibility.

@ 14mhz or 16mhz?

If the entire MS series is compatible then I may do this to my next MV1C. I gotta get you a pic though.

Anyone got a pic of the bare MV1C PCB??

20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
@ 14mhz or 16mhz?

If the entire MS series is compatible then I may do this to my next MV1C. I gotta get you a pic though.

Anyone got a pic of the bare MV1C PCB??

He actually OC'd his to 18 MHz, but my AES is set to 16.

I Don't know if he has tested MS4 or 5, but thats what the switch is for (in case it doesn't work). I wish I had more AES games to test, as I would like to compile a compatibility list.