super touchy MVS cart issue

the binary c0de

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
20 Year Member
So since the day I got it, my blazing star cart has to be propped just exactly right in my cab, say with a piece of folded paper so as to not have nasty annoying lines & such running through the screen. I took the cart apart from the very beginning & cleaned the contacts, but alas, it changed nothing. This is the only cart that this happens with & in any given slot.

Now.......help me fix it please? Thanks in advance...

~ jov ~

the binary c0de

20 Year Member
anyone please? I KNOW someone has to know. I mean, its the TECH forum of NEO-GEO.COM! Please & thank you, 100 times over...

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Try replacing your current MVS shell with a new one.
BB

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
try cleaning the MVS cart slot also.

Raz

the binary c0de

20 Year Member
Razoola said:
try cleaning the MVS cart slot also.

Raz
How would I safely clean the MVS slots? What would I use? I don't want to snag & leave material inside the slots...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
the binary c0de said:
How would I safely clean the MVS slots? What would I use? I don't want to snag & leave material inside the slots...
Use a thin cloth towel with a table knife and distilled water. Make sure not to tear the towel and leave fabric in the slots.

I have the exact problem with one of my carts. It's not really too big of a deal. You just have to have it inserted at just the right angle and it works fine.

shess

I don't read too much into what happens on the for
May also want to check and make sure none of the contacts in the slots are bent. If one wasn't making good contact with the game then you'd have tweak the game so it hits the board correctly.

Scott

the binary c0de

20 Year Member
Like I said my friendlies, I'm sure its the cart & not the slots in that its the ONLY game it happens with & it happens in EVERY slot. I am wondering though...
contacttips.jpg

Not a pic of MY cart, but the very tips of the contacts have a smaller gold contact, & those are definatly worn away on my blazing star. Could that be my problem? How would I propperly fix that? Thanks for your help crew...

the binary c0de

20 Year Member
the binary c0de said:
Like I said my friendlies, I'm sure its the cart & not the slots in that its the ONLY game it happens with & it happens in EVERY slot. I am wondering though...
contacttips.jpg

Not a pic of MY cart, but the very tips of the contacts have a smaller gold contact, & those are definatly worn away on my blazing star. Could that be my problem? How would I propperly fix that? Thanks for your help crew...
bizump

sorry, but I'm still wondering if the contacts mini extensions could be part of the issue. question mark?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I guess you could try the boards in the mobo outside of the carts case.(via lined up right)

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
chris1 said:
I guess you could try the boards in the mobo outside of the carts case.(via lined up right)
Yeah, just slot the boards. It will not hurt anything. I have done this in the past when games had damaged contact edges or other issues. Besides, the bare boards will not be seen inside your cab when the CP is shut.....ghetto, yes, but whatever works.

SNK-Jorge

n00b
hey i am having the same problem, my blazing star works but has no sound, oddly enough it doesn't let ANY sound come out at all. so if that game none of the games in the rest of the cab have sound. but the game starts up just fine. it is not a bootleg either, it is just weird. i will try that case swapping idea though.

if anyone has any idea why my cart wont play sound i would love some help.

the binary c0de

20 Year Member
chris1 said:
Well, I tried it & am at least a bit closer to the answer: its the bottom board that is so touchy. We'll see what I find out.

SNK-Jorge said:
hey i am having the same problem, my blazing star works but has no sound, oddly enough it doesn't let ANY sound come out at all. so if that game none of the games in the rest of the cab have sound. but the game starts up just fine. it is not a bootleg either, it is just weird. i will try that case swapping idea though.

if anyone has any idea why my cart wont play sound i would love some help.
When I put the bare boards in & moved them forward & back, the sound went out at one point. Doubt this helps, but thought I'd mention it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Been using this method for soooooo long...

I'm thinking you need to get into a deeper cleaning method with this cart..

Say use my method of scotch brite on the connectors only ...with 91% alcohol....

All my carts work

Check the boards against a ruler to see if they are warped...