Discharging a CRT?

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I heard that monitors built after 1990 have the built in discharging circuit, but better to be safe than sorry.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
RGP said:
I heard that monitors built after 1990 have the built in discharging circuit, but better to be safe than sorry.

You DO NOT want to rely on that. If there's a malfunction in the Flyback transformer you could have a charged CRT nail you hard. Just ask my wife - she got hit by one of those little Mac SE monitors - 11kv - when rebuilding the video board once upon a time.

RJ

Mulletron

Kabuki Klasher
Exactly, And referring to my post...

NO MATTER WHAT, ALWAYS ASSUME YOURS NEEDS IT.

I think caps was a tad appropriate.

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
So how do you discharge with the anode off, say if you had it sitting there for a few weeks?

Mulletron

Kabuki Klasher
You could always re-attatch, wait a few minutes, and continue discharging like normal...

or...

Try to discharge it with the tool by touching the clips.

Always safe. Did it a few times today myself. Chassis are the devil, especially when certain companies don't repair them correctly. :mad_2:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
So the tube itself won't have any charge sitting in it?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
RGP said:
Guess not :annoyed:

For safetys sake always asume the CRT (or any other capacitor for that matter) is charged, that way you will not get hurt or killed !

The interesting thing with crts is that after initial discharge a secondary charge builds up, so the tube requires another discharge before safe handling. The shock is not as dangerous as the reaction of dropping the tube and it imploading.

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'm going to attach a Tri-sync chassis ina few week, I already took off the old chassis, so I should be good to attach the new 1.

kb9wvv

Overtop Pathfinder
Grounding to the chassis sounds like a great idea, but where does all the electricity go? Is this assuming that the cab is grounded via the AC cable to a properly grounded wall recep?