NG old stick mod - parts list

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
I have two extra neo geo old style sticks and want to mod then with sanwa buttons and sticks, i know how to do it but i dont know wich parts i should buy for this mod since i have zero experience with sanwa goods.

my main concerns are.

Where to buy ? Akihabara Shop or Himura Games ?

Take into account that im in Brasil and the shipping will be a lot buying in one place or another, i just dont want to wait my whole life for the goods to arrive.

The other joystick i will mod is the Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick from Nubytech.

When buying sanwa sticks i do need to buy then with the mounting plate or the will fit without it ?

Any help will be welcome.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
I modded a few AES sticks with Sanwa parts. The main things you need to keep in mind:

- This process is irreversable. Alot of the plastic needs to be physically cut out for the Sanwa stick to fit.

-24mm buttons snap right in

- You will be recycling the Start/Select board, but you need to hack the corner off the metal mounting plate so it wont conflict with the Sanwa mounting plate

- Use a dremel to remove all the plastic that held the old stick in palce. The Sanwa stick will mount directly to the inside of the top housing.

- Use a sanding bit on the dremel to make some clearance on the botom portion of the base for the bottom of the Sanwa stick

- After clearing all the plastic, when you are installing the new hardware for the stick, tighten crossways like a car tire. You actually have to bend the sanwa mounting plate ever so slightly for a snug fit.

- A key component is a 1/8" thick washer needs to be placed inside the Sanwa stick, at the top of the assembly (above the washer) - this raises the stick just a hair so it doesnt rub against the bottom of the AES stick housing. The above mentioned sanding helps this but the washer helps even more.

Here are some pictures of a finished stick:
120978034_af1c38bbfc.jpg

120978006_be00d9bdce.jpg

120977984_b18a3f4d0d.jpg

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Also, I have used Himura for all of my parts purchases and they are pretty good about shipping, freebies, etc.

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
Dub,

Thanks a lot, if i follow your steps, hopefully i will still have one good hand at the end of the mod ..... :chimp:

One more question, i will use 24mm for the AES mod and for the another mod i should use 24mm too or 30mm ? Whats the standart size for arcade buttons ?

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
If you are converting the above mentioned SF stick, and if its the one I think it is, 30mm is probably the best way to go.

24mm is awfully small compared to the standard size buttons.