Phoenix-ed CPS2?

ray_7

What's the deal here?

I read it on an ebay auction and it says about the battery being removed?

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
CPS2 games have a battery and when it dies, the game is unusable. Phoenixed games have had the roms reprogrammed with unencrypted versions so they never have battery problems again. You can find more info about that here:

http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/suicide.html

If you're getting a CPS2 game, that's the best way to do it.

ray_7

J0e Musashi said:
If its been phoenixed you;d get more for it when you sold it on.

Glad to hear that.

So who does this modification? Raz?

ray_7

And it will enable region change too just like what UniBios did in MVS?

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
yes to some game's...and he can make a jukebox..just to play the game music:chimp:

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
CPS-2

If its been phoenixed you would get less for it when you sold it on, especially if it is Progear..

ray_7

thegreathopper said:
If its been phoenixed you would get less for it when you sold it on, especially if it is Progear..

Oh really, and why is that?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
thegreathopper said:

Actually you wouldn't get less.

I think your assumption is based on the fear it might be a bootleg which you should confirm it is not before you buy.

The only know boots are street fighter Anniversary and progear by the way.

ray_7

mainman said:
Actually you wouldn't get less.

I think your assumption is based on the fear it might be a bootleg which you should confirm it is not before you buy.

The only know boots are street fighter Anniversary and progear by the way.

Are there any easy ways to tell if it's a bootleg?

Akraten

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
here is a Progear phoenixed on ebay

Item number: 330121666015

description
Progear CPS2Jamma A&B(PCB)NoSucide battery English Vers

Progear

CPS2 Jamma Game Board(PCB) with A&B for Arcade Game.

YOUR ARE BIDDING FOR 100% WORKING PROGEAR CPS2 JAMMA ARCADE A & B GAME BOARD (PCB) GREEN MODIFIED ENGLISH VERSION.BATTERY HAS BEEN REPLACED AND SPECIAL EPROMS/PARTS ARE ADDED TO WORK WITHOUT THE SUCIDE BATTERY .GAME PLAY AND DIP SWITCH SETTINGS ARE IN ENGLISH.

PLEASE BE REST ASSURED GAME WORKS GREAT AND THEIR IS NO FEAR OF THE BOARD GETTING DEAD DUE TO SUCIDE BATTERY.

I can't tell if this is a Boot or a real progear,
can anyone shed some light on this?:spock:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
neokrates said:

description

Progear

YOUR ARE BIDDING FOR 100% WORKING PROGEAR CPS2 JAMMA ARCADE A & B GAME BOARD (PCB) GREEN MODIFIED ENGLISH VERSION.BATTERY HAS BEEN REPLACED AND SPECIAL EPROMS/PARTS ARE ADDED TO WORK WITHOUT THE SUCIDE BATTERY .GAME PLAY AND DIP SWITCH SETTINGS ARE IN ENGLISH.

PLEASE BE REST ASSURED GAME WORKS GREAT AND THEIR IS NO FEAR OF THE BOARD GETTING DEAD DUE TO SUCIDE BATTERY.

If it's phoenixed its technically a boot, some say. Gwgat usually sells legit stuff though.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Phoenix is the way to go if you don't want to swap batteries out every 5 or so years.

brumma

NEST Puppet
Xian Xi said:
If it's phoenixed its technically a boot, some say. Gwgat usually sells legit stuff though.

Have you bought from him before? I've found that some of these guys have no idea whether or not they're selling a boot...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
brumma said:
Have you bought from him before? I've found that some of these guys have no idea whether or not they're selling a boot...

I've bought MVS off them before but not CPS2.

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
that Progear is bootleg. (trust me) one of the members on the board (see sig) had bought probably that SAME ONE and threw a fit, got his money back, returned it...etc etc..and now it's up for sale again. It's why the seller has so much trouble giving pictures of it out. You'd be better off hitting up ECL or Legend (ecl had one for 330 if memory serves)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Battlesmurf said:
that Progear is bootleg. (trust me) one of the members on the board (see sig) had bought probably that SAME ONE and threw a fit, got his money back, returned it...etc etc..and now it's up for sale again. It's why the seller has so much trouble giving pictures of it out. You'd be better off hitting up ECL or Legend (ecl had one for 330 if memory serves)

Thats why I always like to see the board, a screenshot is worthless if its a boot.

Akraten

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
pheonix progear

I got the progear in the mail today and it looks lagit, i tested the memory and it all checks out, the game is in english and it says Pheonix version when you boot the game.
I opened it up to see if there were MX roms and i only found one attached to a board that is piggybacked onto the game board.
*i was checking to see if the game had the battery still*
it seems pritty solid,
then i turned it on and off then on again because i wanted to see somehting and the game went to this blank color screen,
first it was blue, then this ugly yellow , then red.
i turned it off and waited
the game went back to normal after a few minuits and seems to be working again.
is this common for cps2?
i just got this game and i dont want to mess it up.
-Aaron:conf:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
neokrates said:
I got the progear in the mail today and it looks lagit, i tested the memory and it all checks out, the game is in english and it says Pheonix version when you boot the game.
I opened it up to see if there were MX roms and i only found one attached to a board that is piggybacked onto the game board.
*i was checking to see if the game had the battery still*
it seems pritty solid,
then i turned it on and off then on again because i wanted to see somehting and the game went to this blank color screen,
first it was blue, then this ugly yellow , then red.
i turned it off and waited
the game went back to normal after a few minuits and seems to be working again.
is this common for cps2?
i just got this game and i dont want to mess it up.
-Aaron:conf:

pic of board would help

Peter E

n00b
neokrates said:

description

Progear

I was thinking about getting one of those, he seems to have quite a few of them... :spock:
Seems a little fishy to me though, maybe I'm wrong?