Guitar Thread

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
At the request of Cranky I decided to make this thread. Let your pwnage commence.

Nah seriously:

What guitar brand do you prefer?
What guitarist do you want to be like or do you want to be completely unique? What style of music do you play?
What guitars do you own?
What settings do you prefer?
What scales do you like to improvise in?
Your favorite strings?
What do you hate/dislike in a guitar design?

I play mainly metal and bluesy stuff. Metal and blues are twin brothers as far as I'm concerned. I love the progressions you get with blues, they're infinite and all sound awesome. Me and my jam bro like to play rhythm and switch off. One person will improvise and the other will play solo's (improv also), we toss these back and forth and you can have a ball with this stuff. I love shit like this cause it gets you playing in rhythm and its a fun way to improve yourself.

Brand wise I don't have a true preference yet. I am really digging Ibanez for a nice speedy neck and it just feels great in any position. The rg series is great and I know I'm gonna be huge into this. A Jem is a must down the line. Alot of money is going to rightfully be wasted on Ibanez.

I think Dean is awesome. Want a dean with a nice floyd.. Jackson and ESP look great also. ESP is the shit as far as looks go. We all have different taste though. Jackson has guitars for the exact settings I like.

I want to be able to create a new sound out of guitar, I have and idea for a 'other worldly' sound. Michael Angelo plays some progressions that throw me into that zone and its tough to explain but its very inspirational and awesome just the same. I'm not a neoclassical guitarist and don't really wanna be. I like some phrases, but don't want to be in a harmonic minor rut. I feel that alot of it can sound like the same thing. Theres just something about that scale that can be boring to me. Not to offend anyone who uses it. I feel its good in small doses.

I like other players like Paul Gilbert because he seems like a really nice guy.. He also makes the instrument more fun for those stuck in a rut of the same shit.

For settings I prefer single coil up front. I like the single coil sound. I like really low action because I like fast pull off's. It seems to me that having higher action effects your speed in pull off's. You don't want this kind of unbalance cause its just gonna make things tougher. Everyone has different ideas with this. Yngwie is a master of the harmonic minor and he supposedly prefers a higher action. Couple that with a scalloped fretboard and he has vibrato range thats top notch.
Also regarding action and pull offs:

When I lowed my action pull's became much easier for me, and even when I lowered my action as far as I wanted, it was still to high, my new guitar is different in that it has "truly low" action and its insane how easy this is to play.

Scale improv for me now is the basics:

A minor pentatonic and I'm gonna start playing things specifically in the major scale. The major scale alone is shred when played fast, so you can pick and mix that mofo to death. This is good cause it enables me to memorize those and not get so bored I get nervous and want to do something else.

Ernie strings for me. Need to try more brands.

In a guitar design I cannot stand a high bridge. Joe Walsh is the same way. Having that bridge on the body is a must. I also don't like guitars that have bodies that suck for sitting. This is so important. If you are thinking of getting into guitar DO NOT buy a guitar based on looks or a crazy body. You will be sick of guitar quick because its just no fun to be stuck with a body where you gotta compensate your picking wrist because you can't rest your arm on the body.

Anyway, thats my deal as far as preference/setting is concerned. I'll add new stuff as I think of it. Feel free to include songs you've played or made. Hell, I'm open to anything. The great thing about recording your own stuff is that nobody can touch you in legality. You can play whatever you want and swap at will, its all nice and legal.

PUNJABEE

Banned
LWK said:

Gibson is probably my favorite. Fender is nice as well as Ibanez. For acoustic, probably Takamine or Ovation.

LWK said:
What guitarist do you want to be like or do you want to be completely unique?

I want to be like me. But if you're asking who my favorite guitarist is, I dunno. Maybe Satriani before he came out with Crystal Planet, or maybe even before the Self Titled bluesy record.

LWK said:
What style of music do you play?

Some classical, rock and punk mostly.

LWK said:
What guitars do you own?

92 Gibson SG Standard
90 Gibson Les Paul Studio
1976 Yamaha 150 Dreadnaught (my dads present to my mom before I was born)
2000 Squire Bullet (beater)
Samick Strat Style POS (belonged to my brother-in-law I inherited it when he died)
Samick Strat Style Ice (a guitar I bought in 11th grade) Acrylic body. It looks similar to this - but with a Samick Machine head obviously- Ice

Those are my current ones.

LWK said:

Since I'm a simple player I don't really change things on my guitars. The only "setting" I DON'T like is a floating trem. They irritate me because that's not the style of music I play, so as far as I'm concerned they screw me up.

LWK said:

'dropped' D, Hawaiian E, and of course natural E.

LWK said:
Your favorite strings?

I like medium strings. Don't have a favorite brand. If they resonate, they work for me. I guess I can pop in my favorite pick as well. Dunlop .60. Its a cheaper brand, but that .60 pick kicks ass.

LWK said:

Upturned/reverse machine heads mostly. I know it doesn't affect your playing but damn they look retarded. One thing I hate is the Vai 'handle' that Ibanez has on some of their lines. I just hate the way that looks. I also hate when the put the letters E, S and P on the machine heads. :kekeke:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
My favorite guitar company used to be Gibson, but within the last 2 years I've come to find Gibsons are overpriced and antiquated. ESP makes a much better guitar, IMO. Even their LTD line out performs Gibson.

As far as infulences I try to draw from everything I hear. Most of what inspires me is on the heavier side of things, but I also listen to stuff like Prince, Parliment, Cameo and the works of classical composers (huge fan of Mozart).

What I play mirriors my influences. I can switch up from Misfits style punk to thrash metal crunch to deep Danzig blues chug and most everything in between.

Guitars currently owned:
'50s era JC Penny catalog guitar (Was my Dad's first guitar)
'70's era Epiphone Strat copy (another one of my Dad's old guitars)
'88 Yamaha Nylon string classical
'93 Epiphone Accu Bass
'93 Squier Strat (Has since been heavily modified with Fender US parts, the only Squier left is the name on the Headstock).
'01 Fender Double Fat Strat
'01 Gibson Gothic Explorer
'03 Epiphone Gothic Flying V
'03 Kramer Imperial w/ diamond plate pickguard
'03 Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum
'04 Epiphone Elite Les Paul Custom
All guitars are hardtails (Strats have 5 springs on the bridge to stop them from moving). I hate any and all trem set ups, none of them work.

I'm currently selling off the '01 Explorer, '03 V, '03 Imperial and the '03 Studio to pick up a ESP Eclipse II VTB.

Just picked up a Fender Metal Head 1/2 stack. Holy shit is this thing loud.

I usually run a Megadeth-esque EQ setup to get a nice clean crunch on my sound unless I'm tuned down to C, then I use a warmer distortion.

I mostly mess around with minor scales.

Strings are D'addario XL 10's.

What do I hate in guitar design? Ugly designs. Jackson's Warrior is a great example. That thing is fucking ugly.

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
the guitar brands i prefer are the ltd line by esp, a few ibanez (RGA is not bad at all), the jackson soloist, and a few washburns. fenders? they're just for investment :D

since i like paul gilbert, racer x, symphony x, dragonforce etc, it seems clear that i like metal and shred music. hell yeah i would like to be as good as paul is. wether that can be achieved, is another matter :p

i currently own 4 guitars, a 11 yr old takamine acoustic(starts to sound great now), a fender telecoustic, a yamaha c40 classical and a washburn WR154(needs to get them pickups change though, long overdue).

settingwise, i prefer 8s. yeah, i'm lazy to use thick strings :D i use from d'addarios, esp, music man and ghs strings.

scales, i mess around in major, minor(melodic and harmonic), pentatonic (major and minor), and now am learning the modes.

Rubber Johnny

Banned
hmm.JPG

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
@ Rubber Johnny - Saving picture for future use... :buttrock:

I think Jackson is my favorite and after that, maybe Fender. Ovation are my top choice for accoustic guitars.

What guitarist do you want to be like or do you want to be completely unique?
Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman if I wanted to choose, but I like being myself.

What style of music do you play?
Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Metal.

What guitars do you own?
Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special
Hohner (Gibson knockoff)
Ovation Accoustic

none that I can think of

none that I can think of

Your favorite strings?
D'Addario XL or Elixir

Not many designs I hate, but a shitty paint job can always turn me off. I hate how BC Rich guitars look so awesome but don't play nearly as well as they should. :oh_no:

Rubber Johnny

Banned
me circa 02 after drinking all day.
that's what led up to me getting the fuzzhawk

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
My amp is a shitty fender 15R. I Only like a thick pick because I dont want a pick that flexes. So 1.5 dunlop gator grip here.. =P

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
At the request of Cranky I decided to make this thread. Let your pwnage commence.

Nah seriously:

What guitarist do you want to be like or do you want to be completely unique? What style of music do you play?
What guitars do you own?
Your favorite strings?

I prefer ESP and Jackson guitars. I want to be like John Petrucci in the sense that he is his own unique player and has a skill level that very few attain. I play hard rock/metal with a very devoted side of myself being deeply drawn to melodic finger picking acoustic stuff. I love it. Right now I own a custom Jackson that I need to beef up when money allows. I prefer 10 gauge strings, and you can't beat a set of Elixir strings. That shit just never quits. I improvise mainly in penatonic scales, because that's what mainly sounds good to my ear. Only thing I really don't like in a guitar design is most of B.C. Rich type guitars. The ones like the warlock and such. I play 95% of the time sitting down, so those types of guitars are very uncomfortable for me.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I cant even read music, I want a guitar but I dont even know where to start.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Spike said:
I cant even read music, I want a guitar but I dont even know where to start.

You don't have to know how to read music in order to be a great guitar player. Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about it unless you have plans to be a studio musician or plan on playing with a big musical group or something. The most you'll need to know is how to read chord charts, and maybe tab if you're wanting to cover stuff.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Well, I like the sound of that.

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
spike, powertabs will help you a lot compared to just normal tablature.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Now how about a guitar? Usually when I get into something I really get into it and read up and find out whats best and spend way too much money. I want to go for something basic, and still decent enough to get the job done. And at this point I'm sure my ears dont know what the hell is going on.

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
depends on what type of guitar you want to play. either electric, acoustic or classical. for example, for classical a cheap yamaha c-40 will be adequete for beginners, classical-wise.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Sorry, electric.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Spike said:
Now how about a guitar? Usually when I get into something I really get into it and read up and find out whats best and spend way too much money. I want to go for something basic, and still decent enough to get the job done. And at this point I'm sure my ears dont know what the hell is going on.

What style of music are you wanting to play? I'd recommend something with the action low so you have no problem learning to bar chords, and just play in general. I'd also recommend getting a guitar that'll stay in tune. There's nothing worse than bending a string and it sounding all stupid afterwards. Honestly, in this situation it's best to go to multiple guitar shops and let them know that you're new and want something decent, but not too extravagant. Go to multiple places to hear different opinions, and try out a lot of guitars to see what feels right in your hands. The first guitar is the hardest because you don't know what to look for. Your second guitar will be much easier because you'll have learned what you like/disliked and what features you didn't have that you wanted. Check around man.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Wes said:
What style of music are you wanting to play? I'd recommend something with the action low so you have no problem learning to bar chords, and just play in general. I'd also recommend getting a guitar that'll stay in tune. There's nothing worse than bending a string and it sounding all stupid afterwards. Honestly, in this situation it's best to go to multiple guitar shops and let them know that you're new and want something decent, but not too extravagant. Go to multiple places to hear different opinions, and try out a lot of guitars to see what feels right in your hands. The first guitar is the hardest because you don't know what to look for. Your second guitar will be much easier because you'll have learned what you like/disliked and what features you didn't have that you wanted. Check around man.

I have to agree completely with Wes on this one, surprisingly.

just don't get an ESP :multi_co:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Wes said:
I prefer ESP and Jackson guitars. I want to be like John Petrucci in the sense that he is his own unique player and has a skill level that very few attain. I play hard rock/metal with a very devoted side of myself being deeply drawn to melodic finger picking acoustic stuff. I love it. Right now I own a custom Jackson that I need to beef up when money allows. I prefer 10 gauge strings, and you can't beat a set of Elixir strings. That shit just never quits. I improvise mainly in penatonic scales, because that's what mainly sounds good to my ear. Only thing I really don't like in a guitar design is most of B.C. Rich type guitars. The ones like the warlock and such. I play 95% of the time sitting down, so those types of guitars are very uncomfortable for me.

I agree with the comfort issue.

BTW, I saw Gambale play on this Carvin 60 yr dvd *you can get this dvd free if you go to www.carvin.com*
His arpeggio's are something else. That guy doesn't bring that pinkie far off the board. Michael angelo is the same way.

Gambale has been playing for 40 fuckin years. Thats insane.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
What guitars do you own?
Your favorite strings?

1. ESP/Jackson/BC Rich/Ibanez/Moser custom shop.
2. I like far too many guitarists to name, I'd prefer to be original than be like another guitarist.
3. METAL, mainly thrash/death/melodic.
4. 2 Warlocks, 1 Mick7 NJ signature and a regular NJ Warlock (Old-Skool Max C style).
5. Don't know any scales, I just play.
6. Trems with low action, for amps I like lots of bass and a heavy, chugging distortion.
6. Ernie Ball 11's.
7. Fenders/Gibsons/Rickenbacker/PRS/Gay guitar designs.

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
it doesn't look like they'll be sending the carvin dvd to malaysia lol :D

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
1. What guitar brand do you prefer?
2. What guitarist do you want to be like or do you want to be completely unique? What 3. style of music do you play?
4. What guitars do you own?
5. Your favorite strings?
6. What do you hate/dislike in a guitar design?

1. Ibanez. My second favorite is vintage fenders, mustangs, strats, teles, jags, pretty much any vintage fender. In America I have a 60s Mustang in storage. Third favorite is Gibson SGs.

2. I want to be Prince, Jimi Hendrix, the Maiden guitar guys ....

3. I play Metal, grind, funk, rock whatever pretty much. Even enjoy playing country and finger picking. Just anything. I hate the restriction of genre.

4. Paul Gilbert Ibanez, Fender Mustang, 2 Yamaha acoustics (I love yamaha acoustics, really simple deep sounds), 2 strat clones (a pink one and a black one, forgot what brands, they are back in america.)

5. Dadario 10s.

6. There's not much I hate in guitar design except BORING ass strat clones (yes I know I own some.) I just hate normal looking guitars, they don't inspire me to play. I want to play a pink and yellow guitar in the shape of some fruit with 12 humbuckers. I think the guitar should be from space.

index.cfm

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Dave Grohl has done some wonderful things with Gibsons.