4slot issues with UniBIOS

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
So I hooked up my MacGuyvered CP yesterday and hooked up the video from my 4-slot to my Sky Shark monitor and turned it on while "pressing" A+B+C and it booted directly to the cross hatch test screen. I shrugged, went through the menus setting things up, then rebooted without pressing anything and it booted into the hardware test again. Everything I tried did nothing and it kept booting to the cross hatches. So I take out the UniBIOS and put back in the original BIOS, boot up and it goes straight to the error:

Video Ram Error
Address 0000061B
Write Read
5555 1555

Which I knew about already. I'm trying to find out from my friend what version of the UniBIOS he burned for me, but I just sent him a pm a sec ago. All I know is that he burned it onto an AMD AM27C1024-200DC chip.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-J

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
so your saying that it was doing this before you put the uni-bios in?

"Which I knew about already"

The Uni-Bios won't fix this

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
Lashujin said:
so your saying that it was doing this before you put the uni-bios in?

"Which I knew about already"

The Uni-Bios won't fix this

I'm just saying that it had nothing to do with the problem. The stated problem is that with the UniBIOS in it goes to the hardware test no matter what I have tried. I put in the UniBIOS to get past this error to see if there were any more problems so that I could get all the chips I needed to save on any shipping. :)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Firstly the EPROM your using for the unibios is to slow, your using a 200ns when the slowest you should be using is 150ns. To see all the errors with the system make sure the hardware test option is enabled in the unibios general settings menu. If it gives no others apart from the videoram then things are sort of looking good as far as all the other RAM is concerned (apart from the vidram error you already know about).

Going to the crosshatch is normal if there is no game in the unit. If its still going to crosshatch with a game in then your going to have to clean all the sockets. If that dosent work there could be a problem with the top PCB of the 4SLOT or the connectors that join both together.

Raz

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
Just to clarify, it should go to the cross hatch if there is no game no matter what? I won't be able to get to any of the rest of the options until I have a game connected? If so, I better get off my butt and get the guy who was going to give me a free cart to look harder for it! ;)

If I could make a suggestion, you might want to specify the 150ns or faster on your website for those who want to burn their own. (as soon as I get a full time job I'm planning on sending you something for your work on the UniBIOS though ;) )

I'll let my friend know and see if he will burn it for me on a faster chip.

Thanks,
-J

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
UncaJJ said:
Just to clarify, it should go to the cross hatch if there is no game no matter what?

Thats correct yes.

UncaJJ said:
If I could make a suggestion, you might want to specify the 150ns or faster on your website for those who want to burn their own.

Yes I think I will add a note to the readme to mention this when I get home again to save confusion. Thanks.

Raz

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
Thanks Raz!

I quess I'm at a standstill until I can get a cart to test this with. I need to be very stingy with my money for a while, so I have to take whatever I can get or borrow for free at this point... Guess I'll just have to play more Sky Shark for a while still... ;)

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
Got a cart... same thing

OK, I got a SS cart, plugged it in, and it still boots up to the cross hatch test, but now the cross hatch looks like colors are missing... hmm.. didn't think to check to make sure the connector to the monitor was on right... might be off by one pin, and that might be why the display looks wrong...

Also tonight I will clean the the cart and the slot to see if that will let me boot to something besides the cross hatch test...

UncaJJ

Mega Shock!!
Ok, video looks good again. I either had it on wrong or the daughter card on my WG 4600 wan't seated properly. Disconnected the plugs, reconnected carefully and reseated the daughter card. Now I have almost perfect cross hatch test.

Didn't get around to cleaning the cart or slot yet...