Ghostlop Tech Help

NeoGeo on Brain

Kabuki Klasher
15 Year Member
Just bought a EMP20 and want to make a Ghostlop MVS cart. Did a search in this forum and found very little information on making one. Also did a search in Googles and still found nothing. :crying: So now I am looking for someone who owns a working Ghostlop MVS cart to do me a favor. I'm not looking for digital pictures of the boards. I would like for someone to take the pcb and use a flatbed scanner to scan them. Why a flatbed scanner and not a digital camera? Well anyone who has tried to take a picture of a pcb, knows how hard it is to get a good picture. But if you use a flatbed scanner you get images like This and This. Pictures are of the cart I am planning on turning into a Ghostlop MVS cart. The chip layout is the same so it should work. But I would really like someone to send the scans before I put Neo Geo Mr.Do under the soldering iron. Anyone up to the challenge?

P.S. Picture of my repair bench.

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
NeoGeo on Brain said:
I would like for someone to take the pcb and use a flatbed scanner to scan them.

So you want someone to put a pcb with flashroms on it on
a flatbed scanner so you can expose it to direct light? Awesome! :buttrock:

NeoGeo on Brain

Kabuki Klasher
15 Year Member
What, didn't you look at the pictures? Of course the eprom windows need to be covered. Mine are covered with metalic tape. Rock solid closed tight. :buttrock:

Anyone who has been collecting long enough to want a Ghostlop should know about the nature of eproms. With all the bitching about eproms in bootlegs, people do understand.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yeah I want to make a ghostlop cart as well. I bought a blank PROG 4096 and CHA 42G-2 for the project (thanks Andy!). I just figured I would have to find out the jumper settings for myself. I asked about this once before and got no help at all. I guess we'll just have to do it the way the people have been making bootlegs out of legitimate carts for years, by trial and error.

cheers and good luck,
-DT

Lime2K

Host for Orochi
here's a suggestion:

I'm assuming you have the MAME romset for ghostlop. Write down the sizes of each of the roms (c1=2MB, etc), and then try to find another MAME set that uses the exact same rom sizes. You should be able to swipe the jumper settings off of that board.

(I'd help, but I don't have a copy of that romset. You could fix that, though...)
</hint>

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Strip a Samurai Shodown 2 board and put the Ghostlop in chips in the corect places. No jumper changes needed.

NeoGeo on Brain

Kabuki Klasher
15 Year Member
First Try First Failure

Here is what I have done so far.

1. Stripped all the big chips off a SS2 cart. Top board is a PROGTOP and bottom is
a CHA256. Both boards are marked HCMK-C2X.

2. Put IC sockets at all six IC locations. Glad I did that.

3. Took four 27C160 - 100FI chips and programmed then. Also sum checked. Placed chips in sockets at C1, C2, P1, and V1.

4. Took a 27C010 - 150DC chip. Programmed and sum checked. Placed in socket at M1.

5. Took a 27C512 - 150DC chip. Programmed and sum checked. Placed in socket at S1.

6. Boards would not fit into case so I pulled out my MV-1B. Plugged it into my test bench harness. First thing that came up on the screen was about a hundred different colored squares. Next was the normal green colored splash screen, After that was the same screen you get when you don't have a cart installed.

Not sure why it is not working. Chips too slow? The SNK chips from M1 and S1 are 120ns chips. Will take the chips and double check to see it they are programmed right.

Can someone with a working Ghostlop, check and see what chips they have in their cart. :help:

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
desolderer and eprom burner easy enough, I can use the mame set of it as well out here....anyone want to help, and check out a design cart for neo geo while visiting?

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Nightmare Tony said:
anyone want to help, and check out a design cart for neo geo while visiting?

Yes. probably a far, far drive though. Did you make the cart yourself, or was it one of those on ebay?

NG on brain- Part of your problem may be your M chip. The 27C010 is not the correct pinout for that chip. You need an HN27C301 which has the same pinout as the 28 pin Toshiba mask rom which SNK uses for M chips (also some 27C1000 and 27C100, but some of these chips use the 27C010/27C1001 pinout) . The S chip uses the same pinout as 27C010/27C1001.

cheers,
-DT

Last edited:

NeoGeo on Brain

Kabuki Klasher
15 Year Member
Ghostlop Roms C1 - C4 Files?

Ok, Striped the 27c301 off my Neo Mr.Do cart. :oh_no: He is now on life support untill I order some chips. Erased and burned Ghostlop M1 on chip. Tested and still not working. Received a picture of a working Ghostlop PCB. Show that I should only need to change chips C1 - C4, M1, V1, P1, and S1. But the mame Ghostlop roms only have C1 and C2. :conf: What is the difference between the mame roms and the roms running on a MVS Ghostlop cart? Encripted?

Put back all the chips I didn't need to remove. C3 - C8 and V1 - V3.

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Dogtoy: neither. I used to work for SNK myself. Its one of the toys I got to keep from my work days, along with some fun memories.

dogtoy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
NeoGeo on Brain said:
Ok, Striped the 27c301 off my Neo Mr.Do cart. :oh_no: He is now on life support untill I order some chips. Erased and burned Ghostlop M1 on chip. Tested and still not working. Received a picture of a working Ghostlop PCB. Show that I should only need to change chips C1 - C4, M1, V1, P1, and S1. But the mame Ghostlop roms only have C1 and C2. :conf: What is the difference between the mame roms and the roms running on a MVS Ghostlop cart? Encripted?

Put back all the chips I didn't need to remove. C3 - C8 and V1 - V3.

Yeah... I think I was wrong. It is the S chip that needs to be a 27C301 not the M chip. Sorry about that.

cheers,
-DT