MVS monitor help needed ***Updated w/ Pics***

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I’m having a little trouble with the monitor in my 4-slot ver3 big red. The monitor looks good until all black is displayed on the screen. When a black/dark background is on the screen, I notice a few horizontal lines across the monitor…the lines are on slight angel. It’s not screen burn in. When I make adjustments to the monitor these lines change in location. It doesn’t matter which slot I switch to either. Am I missing another adjustment that is located deeper in the cab or on the back? Could it be the power supply? I know that the power outlet is grounded. I’m pretty sure the fan in the power supply is not working…can’t feel any air coming out. I’m guessing it’s the original power supply.

Last edited:

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Could be master brightness is set off. Check the dial on the flyback tx, but be careful monitor voltages can kill

I had a monitor that would get lines like that if the master brightness was set up too high

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Lashujin said:
Could be master birghtness is set off. Check the dial on the flyback tx, but be careful monitor voltages can kill

Would this be behind the back panel? How would this be marked?

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I wasn't marked at all on mine.

Follow the red wire coming out of the suction cup on the back of the monitor. It should go into a largish piece on the monitor pcb. There should be two (unmarked on mine) dials on there. These dials are master brightness and Focus.

On my machine the dials were difficult to reach and you couldn't see them because they were on the other side of the thing. I used a mirror.

Watch though, even when off the monitor carries lethal amounts of power.

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
It does sound like your monitor's brightness might be set too high. Doesn't the remote adjustment board for the monitor have a brightness pot on it? If not, the adjustment would be made on the flyback transformer. If you look at the suction cup device attahced to the tube and follow it back to where it goes, that's your flyback transformer. There should be 2 knobs on it. One adjust the screen brightness and the other controls focus. Make sure to BE CAREFUL when adjust that stuff. I sometimes use a screwdriver when I have to adjust the controls right on the flyback.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The screen voltage adjustment is always the bottom pot (below the focus pot) on the flyback transformer.

Turn just a few deg anti clock and the retrace lines should disapear.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
If you want to replace the fan or power supply itself....The fan could be bought at Radio Shack or online sites..(matching it up).

As I don't know what effect a dead fan could have on the power supply..Could a jammed,humming fan cause such an interference.(?)

A direct replacement can be bought at Happs..and or other places as I thing Betsons might have it.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80007200.htm

80007200.gif

Direct Replacement is the one with External On/Off Cable.

Neo Ash

I just took a picture of the main monitor adjustment board.
DSC00897.jpg

Does anyone have pictures; or could take pictures of what I'd need to adjust on the back of the monitor. I don't want to screw anything up.

Neo Ash

chris1 said:
If you want to replace the fan or power supply itself....The fan could be bought at Radio Shack or online sites..(matching it up).

As I don't know what effect a dead fan could have on the power supply..Could a jammed,humming fan cause such an interference.(?)

A direct replacement can be bought at Happs..and or other places as I thing Betsons might have it.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80007200.htm

80007200.gif

Direct Replacement is the one with External On/Off Cable.

Would it be a good idea to replace the power supply anyway?

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Neo Ash said:
Does anyone have pictures; or could take pictures of what I'd need to adjust on the back of the monitor. I don't want to screw anything up.[/B]

That's something else. What you want to look for is the master brightness on the flyback transformer. As said before, follow the (usually Red) wire out of the suction cup on the back of the monitor, the housing it goes into is the transformer, on there will be the brightness dial.

Neo Ash

Thanks guys.

Should I attempt to make these sorta adjustments while the monitor is on; or would it be safer (for me and the cab) to power it off while making this adjustments?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The adjustment is the one below the focus pot (the lower pot on the lfbt)

B1000462410.jpg

To be on the safe side switch off the cab then back the screen pot off (anti clockwise) just a whisker, just a few degrees. Then check the picture, if you still see the retrace lines repeat untill they are gone.

Neo Ash

ttooddddyy said:
Whats wrong with the existing supply ??
The fan is frozen almost solid. I was thinking the jammed fan could be cause some sort of hum that might cause interference with the monitor.

Is heat an issue???

Last edited:

Neo Ash

Thanks guys!!! I made an adjustment to the brightness dial; the monitor looks fine now. A few more tweaks on the main adjustment board and it will be perfect. :multi_co:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ttooddddyy said:
The screen voltage adjustment is always the bottom pot (below the focus pot) on the flyback transformer.

Turn just a few deg anti clock and the retrace lines should disapear.

Thank YOU!!!

I just used this thread to fix the lines(retrace lines) in my 2 slots monitor..:buttrock: