Thinking about a Trip To Japan

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
In the next year or so, I'm thinking of taking a trip to Japan and was curious to get feedback here from people that have been there and who currently live there.

I'm curious about what areas of Japan are good to visit, where the cool import and game shops are? Costs to travel there and expenses to expect for a week trip. Any info would be good to get my research started.

Any do's and don'ts?
Places to stay?

Last edited:

neo>all

Super nO0b
Highlander67 said:
In the next year or so, I'm thinking of taking a trip to Japan and was curious to get feedback here from people that have been there and who currently live there.

I'm curious about what areas of Japan are good to visit, where the cool import and game shops are? Costs to travel there and expenses to expect for a week trip. Any info would be good to get my research started.

Any do's and don'ts?
Places to stay?

do locate a panty machine, don't climb into the panty machine.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Don't bash Sony over there, because they love them. Atleast that's what I hear. I want to go as well, but I was think about waiting until I get out of college or if my school ever offered a summer of schooling there like they did for Korea.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
okay,

lets not derail this like the China thread. I want some good tips and info is possible.

aria

Former Moderator
Highlander67 said:

Any do's and don'ts?
Places to stay?

I took a trip for 12 days in March and I'm going back for a little break from my China vacation in August. Highly recommended!

I did my homework and no problem, I'd be happy to share what worked for me:

• get the Lonely Planet guide for Japan. You'll never need another guide. Top notch for sites.
  • It is overall going to be rather expensive. Don't be surprised. Prices for a good place to stay actually aren't too bad, but it's everything else (transit, food, temples) that gets pricey.
  • if you're planning to see many parts of Japan (or even a few) you'll want to take the Bullet Train. It is very expensive, but the only way to quickly move between major cities. There is a trick to it: visitors from outside Japan can get the all-important JR Rail Pass. It allows you to ride unlimited bullet trains for week intervals. It's about $256 per person per week, but I found with my short trip I had likely got about $600 in tickets. Awesome deal. You must buy it from outside Japan! I'll relay the good travel agent I had at the end of the list.
  • I like to travel at a pretty fast pace. In 12 days I managed Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Tokyo and Nikko. I derived my itinery from the Lonely Planet guide and was not disappointed. Of course, this is basically central Japan, but unless you have a lot of time, this is "Must see" Japan for the intial visitor. You definitely MUST SEE Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo. If you find yourself stuck in only area (or limited by a week), do Tokyo-Nikko-Kamakura (I'd been to Kamakura on a previous visit) or try Osaka-Kyoto-Nara (the Kansai region, as its called). It's very possible to do all of these places with a JR Rail pass and 2 weeks (If you do the timing right you'll only need to get a pass for 1 week and then use the subways for the other days). Then again, I don't get tired like many other travellers. If you're limited by a week, I'd recommend sticking to either one of those trio of cities I noted above, and then you don't want the JR Rail Pass, but will instead take the local slow trains.
  • Import game shops: Superpotato is incredible (just look up the threads already posted), there's also Traders and a few other places. Osaka has some very good branches of these game shops, but the really famous area is Akihabara in Tokyo. So as long as you include Osaka or Tokyo in your trip, you'll only need a busy halfday to have your video game orgy
  • Don't underestimate food at the Convenience stores in the subways or on the street. If you like sushi, you'll be stunned at how good these "low end" stuff is. This can save you money in the long run (but you will want to try at least one or two restaurants. the LP guide had some great recommendations, espcially in Kyoto)
  • Dos and don'ts aren't anything to worry about. Read the LP guide and you'll learn all you need. The great thing is you don't have to tip! The only other major thing to keep in mind is the Tokyo subway stops for the night at midnight! I nearly got stuck a few times (I barely caught the last train on two occasions).
  • Japan is very easy for English-only speakers. Any sign that you'll need will have English translation. Don't expect anybody to speak English, but if you can speak "map" (like a map in your guide book) you will be okay. I had zero problems finding my way around. You won't need a tour-guide or need to go on a paid tour. Everything is easy to get to using the tremendously efficient mass transit (the subways are so timely it will shock you).
  • Because the JR Rail Pass is so controlled, you can only get it from 6 sources. In my research I found one of the tour agencies that's permitted to give them out can make just incredible hotel arrangements (and plane, if you need it -but I got my flights from Northwest Airlines for a good deal). http://www.kintetsu.com/ I can't recommend this agency enough, they know their shit. I told them I wanted around $100 per night, Western-style hotel, and they got me some really nice spots all along my own chosen route.

Any more questions (like specific recommendations within cities), let me know. I love international travel, and Japan's been one of my favorite places to see. I can't recommend the Lonely Planet Guide or Kintetsu Travel enough.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Highlander67 said:
where the cool import and game shops are?

Well, if you're there wouldn't they be domestic shops? Unless you were looking for American versions over there for twice what you pay here... :kekeke:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
I took a trip for 12 days in March and I'm going back for a little break from my China vacation in August. Highly recommended!

I did my homework and no problem, I'd be happy to share what worked for me:

• get the Lonely Planet guide for Japan. You'll never need another guide. Top notch for sites.
  • It is overall going to be rather expensive. Don't be surprised. Prices for a good place to stay actually aren't too bad, but it's everything else (transit, food, temples) that gets pricey.
  • if you're planning to see many parts of Japan (or even a few) you'll want to take the Bullet Train. It is very expensive, but the only way to quickly move between major cities. There is a trick to it: visitors from outside Japan can get the all-important JR Rail Pass. It allows you to ride unlimited bullet trains for week intervals. It's about $256 per person per week, but I found with my short trip I had likely got about $600 in tickets. Awesome deal. You must buy it from outside Japan! I'll relay the good travel agent I had at the end of the list.
  • I like to travel at a pretty fast pace. In 12 days I managed Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Tokyo and Nikko. I derived my itinery from the Lonely Planet guide and was not disappointed. Of course, this is basically central Japan, but unless you have a lot of time, this is "Must see" Japan for the intial visitor. You definitely MUST SEE Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo. If you find yourself stuck in only area (or limited by a week), do Tokyo-Nikko-Kamakura (I'd been to Kamakura on a previous visit) or try Osaka-Kyoto-Nara (the Kansai region, as its called). It's very possible to do all of these places with a JR Rail pass and 2 weeks (If you do the timing right you'll only need to get a pass for 1 week and then use the subways for the other days). Then again, I don't get tired like many other travellers. If you're limited by a week, I'd recommend sticking to either one of those trio of cities I noted above, and then you don't want the JR Rail Pass, but will instead take the local slow trains.
  • Import game shops: Superpotato is incredible (just look up the threads already posted), there's also Traders and a few other places. Osaka has some very good branches of these game shops, but the really famous area is Akihabara in Tokyo. So as long as you include Osaka or Tokyo in your trip, you'll only need a busy halfday to have your video game orgy
  • Don't underestimate food at the Convenience stores in the subways or on the street. If you like sushi, you'll be stunned at how good these "low end" stuff is. This can save you money in the long run (but you will want to try at least one or two restaurants. the LP guide had some great recommendations, espcially in Kyoto)
  • Dos and don'ts aren't anything to worry about. Read the LP guide and you'll learn all you need. The great thing is you don't have to tip! The only other major thing to keep in mind is the Tokyo subway stops for the night at midnight! I nearly got stuck a few times (I barely caught the last train on two occasions).
  • Japan is very easy for English-only speakers. Any sign that you'll need will have English translation. Don't expect anybody to speak English, but if you can speak "map" (like a map in your guide book) you will be okay. I had zero problems finding my way around. You won't need a tour-guide or need to go on a paid tour. Everything is easy to get to using the tremendously efficient mass transit (the subways are so timely it will shock you).
  • Because the JR Rail Pass is so controlled, you can only get it from 6 sources. In my research I found one of the tour agencies that's permitted to give them out can make just incredible hotel arrangements (and plane, if you need it -but I got my flights from Northwest Airlines for a good deal). http://www.kintetsu.com/ I can't recommend this agency enough, they know their shit. I told them I wanted around $100 per night, Western-style hotel, and they got me some really nice spots all along my own chosen route.

Any more questions (like specific recommendations within cities), let me know. I love international travel, and Japan's been one of my favorite places to see. I can't recommend the Lonely Planet Guide or Kintetsu Travel enough.

I'm interested in going to Japan as well, but I have no sense of direction heh. Do you know of any full tour packages?

aria

Former Moderator
Fox1 said:
I'm interested in going to Japan as well, but I have no sense of direction heh. Do you know of any full tour packages?

Nope, that's the one area I'm not good with.

However, you may want to simply go to these places and arrange for tours once you get there. For example, that international company Grey Line and many others are available in all the major tourist areas like Tokyo or Kyoto. If you stay at a decent place they should have their fliers available and your hotel concierge maybe able to help set them up for you.

I also bet you can find different travel agencies who could set you up with everything before you go, but it may be more expensive -still, I'd try different travel companies (including the one above), if you're a college student you may also have STA Travel or similar who may have options too.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I am planning on returning to Tokyo in Januray for a a cpuple of months. If you plan to go I recommend looking at a train map before you go. Get fimiliar with it so you won't be as lost while you're actually there. Japan really isn't that expensive of a place so just go over there and enjoy yourself.

SoloFenris

Sakura's Bank Manager
Everything Bobak said. Also, bring as much money as possible. Even cheap over heare isn`t exactly cheap. Also, PM me before you come and If I am not too busy I will see if I can give you a hand.

Jeff

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
Went to Japan also this summer, and last and a while before. Great place, 10 times better then china. Tokyo is probably the best place to stay, rather expensive though. Flight in couch from NY to Tokyo is about $900. It all depends on what you want to do. For games just spend a day in Akihabara and you will find everthing.

I went to superpotato this year like everyone said to, they had LOTS of stuff. BUT it was way over priced compared to Traders and other shops I went to. Just go to everything, they all have there own sales.

PraiseTheSchwein on AIM for more info. I'll be on after 6pm eastern tomorrow.

Darren870

Oh and if you are looking for a private tour of Koyto...for $200 (depending on the time) I have a guy you can email. Great tour.

aria

Former Moderator
LustForLard said:
Oh and if you are looking for a private tour of Koyto...for $200 (depending on the time) I have a guy you can email. Great tour.

Do we get to ride around in one of those SUVs emblazoned with Kanji and blaring nationalistic tunes? If so, I think I saw that guy. ;)

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Bobak said:
Do we get to ride around in one of those SUVs emblazoned with Kanji and blaring nationalistic tunes? If so, I think I saw that guy. ;)

hehe

So when is a good time of year to visit? Also what would I expected to pay for a week, 2K-3K? Maybe a break would be good.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Anybody up for going? I'm opening up the invite for anybody interested in going a year or so from now.

aria

Former Moderator
Highlander67 said:
hehe

So when is a good time of year to visit? Also what would I expected to pay for a week, 2K-3K? Maybe a break would be good.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Anybody up for going? I'm opening up the invite for anybody interested in going a year or so from now.

That's a realistic price tag.

Winter is surprisingly cold. If it weren't for my 3 years of Minnesota winter I would've been chilly in March. The best time to go is Spring (April-May) when you get the legendary cherry blossom season, followed probably by autumn.

Darren870

Yep, spring is always the best time to go. Thats a good figure too, id say. 2-3K for a week. Avoid anything July and foward, way to fucking hot. Rainy season starts about 2nd week in June.

I believe im going in late june next summer. We will see though.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
PM some members here who live in Japan. They're all white devils so you'll probably get along fine.

Be sure to grope some schoolgirls in the subway!

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
LustForLard said:
Yep, spring is always the best time to go. Thats a good figure too, id say. 2-3K for a week. Avoid anything July and foward, way to fucking hot. Rainy season starts about 2nd week in June.

I believe im going in late june next summer. We will see though.

Yeah it rains like everyday in June and the summer is just brutal. I'll be there next year from january to april and I'm looking forward to going back.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Well, after looks on the net for what it seems like days, I think I found the BEST solution. Rather than going for a "tour" I'm thinking of doing a homestay for 3 weeks or so and see how that goes; found it here: http://www.sta.ch/en/sprachschule_temp/pdf/Fukuoka_EN.pdf

I'm very excited and hopefully I'm able to do this.

Edit: oh btw, has anyone done this before?

Last edited:

Darren870

When I was there I think I saw some Neo-Geo members. Well the only reason I think that is because I was in shops and they were buying neo games and so was I. hehe

Never done that before, but I have stayed in a familys home when I was in 6th grade. That was fun, and interesting.