How to help Identify Rev. 1 Vs Rev. 2 Hyper64 Fighter MoBo

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I figured it would be a good thing to post some pictures showing the differences between the two different Fighter Motherboards on the Hyper64 system. I have seen posts with pictures of both but never a side by side comparison. Hopefully this will be an quick guide for those looking to pick up this Neo Geo system.

First we will look at the bottom of the boards. The Rev. 1 is pretty clean. No wires connected and most importantly there is a lack of the MVS/Jamma switch which allows you to play it with both a Jamma or MVS wire harness.

This is the Rev. 1
rev1bottom5ue.jpg

This is the Rev. 2
rev2bottom7ui.jpg

The easiest way to tell the difference is on the front of the boardset. The Rev. 1 has only 2 white connectors plus the black volume knob. There are also 2 empty connector cutouts. The two connectors on the Rev. 1 are for the additional power requirements (Warning: will work without the extra power, but not recommended as it will damage the boardset!) and for sound. The Rev. 1 should come with the wires and connectors to set this up in the cabinet.
The Rev. 2 has 5 white connectors and lacks the black knob for volume control. The volume control on the Rev. 2 is actually on the board above the connectors and is a small black wheel.

Rev. 1 looking at the connectors. Wires also shown.
rev1front1ah.jpg

Rev. 2 looking at the connectors. No wires come with this boardset.
rev2front8gj.jpg

Hopefully this will be helpful in identifying which Revision boardset you have.

Here is a bonus shot of the two different Revision boardsets side by side.
rev1vsrev27lk.jpg

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Just remember there's also this weird revision that is somehow an hybrid between 1 and 2:

hng64r1.jpg

It actually behaves like a rev1, though.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Thanks for posting that again. Did you actually get that beast to work? Does it need any of the additional wiring that the Rev. 1 needs?

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys! I'll let you know how my board works out when I pick it up tomorrow.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, after I complained to the seller he sent me a true rev2 and I used that without problems, I never bothered to try to make that "rev1" work as I lacked the wiring and I didn't want to risk my carts or my house electrical installation.
I want to sell/trade/give/whatever that extra mobo but no luck :(

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This may seem silly, but are you sure that that board is for the fighting system and not the driving/shooting ones? Mind you, I have never seen the boards for those other 2 systems.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Well, as I mentioned when I got that board, I tried it "as is" with Samurai 2 and it worked OK (graphics and controls), but no sound, I assume because sound had to be wired differently. I played for around 5 minutes and when I switched off my supergun the fuses in my home went out (I guess because of the lack of the extra 5V wiring). So I doubt it was a non-fighting board, if it was I think a fighting game shouldn't boot up. Anyway I don't have any non-fighting game to try it with.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Ok, I have a REALLY lame question for you. Is there any difference in the performance of the two boards, or is it just the wiring?

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just the wiring. I haven't noticed any difference in gameplay.

Amano: Ah, yeah I forgot about that in your other post! :emb:

Last edited: