Big news for Turbo Grafx enthusiasts: Turbo Express SOUND FIX!!!!

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Haha, not the biggest new in my world, which would be the Turbo Duo sound fix, but this is the other scourge of the Turbo World!

I was discussing the problems with Duo units with TZD's Steve Garwood and he mentioned that by far and away the biggest problem for them has been weak/no sound from Turbo Express units, even brand new ones! So I asked if he could send a unit of two and I'd look into it. Tried contacting RetroGames Bob Frasure, but no luck (still, if anyone has a way to contact him please let me know!). So off I went with the multimeter.

So I sat with a TE with a weak speaker and started tracing the circuit back, looking for the culprit which I figured had to be a dead/dry capacitor or dead op amp IC. Since there is a dense mask on the system, I had to do a lot of scraping and shining of light through the PCB to find the contacts. Here's what that looked like:
Cap2a.jpg

Notice the Op Amp for the sound highlighted and two little holes through the PCB. These holes are the + and - of a capacitor that leads to the input into the op amp for the audio are also tied to the speaker line which is just above the "03" in L103 on the PCB. Those holes are connected to this capacitor:
Cap1a.jpg

So, I figured, likely culprit. I tapped a new 100 uF, 25 Volt capacitor to the proper holes and SUCCESS@!!@!! The sound amplified to a normal level!!!!!! What I've noticed is that there are varying degrees of the sound issue from weak sound to no sound. This mod works with both and even in the worse case it is amped to a satisfactory level. Meaning there is likely another cap somewhere that needs looking at, but this fix will definitely work.

Here's step-by-step instructions on how to do this. If you copy the location of the image I have and simply remove the "a" that's after the number, before the ".jpg", then you will get the 800 x 600 version.
All these are in this folder on my site:
http://www.multimods.com/TEsound/

OK, on the back of your TE, remove the 4 screws on the outside and the two inside the battery compartment:
TE1a.jpg

CAREFULLY separate the front and back of the unit enough that you can disconnection these connections. The flat cables should be wiggled gently back and forth to make them loose.
TE2a.jpg

On the rear part of the unit, remove the screw indicated in the pic. Note that the two holes we're soldering too are located where the arrow is pointing:
TE3a.jpg

Closeup of the holes with + and - indicated.
TE4a.jpg

Here's the culprit. You can twist the cap off with a pair of pliers but leaving it in is no problem.
TE5a.jpg

Now take an electrolytic 100uF cap (25 V is what I used, but you can use 10V, 15V, etc) and connect two wires to it, preferably close to the cap body as shown so most of the wire and terminals are coved by insulation. I used wrapping wire (30 gauge), but you can use 22 gauge, which is pushing it on how small the spots you're soldering too are. Wires should be about 1.5-2" long.
TE6.jpg

And now connected:
TE7a.jpg

Here I've tucked the cap under the PCB where there is ample space to hold it. Note in the picture I have also added a short wire between two places on the PCB. This is connecting the right and left channels on this unit since the right channel was dead. I'm sure the issue with it can be solved, but this works great for addressing the problem at hand.
TE8a.jpg

Now with the PCB reset to it's place, note the location of the wires. All you have to do now is screw in the proper screws and reconnect the cables (carefully! I use needlenose pliers for the flat cables so I don't bend them) and you're done!!!
TE9a.jpg

So, there it is. You can buy the capacitor dirt cheap in packs of 10-100 from DigiKey or Jameco and even Radio Shack has the capacitor. All you need after that is 3" of wire and soldering equipment. Oh, and a small Phillips head screwdriver.

If you need yours fixed, I will probably start offering to fix them for people shortly. Shipping plus maybe $10 for the fix. So about $20 shipped back to you (you pay shipping out, and then it's about $10 back to you). I figure there are a lot of people that are nervous about soldering such small connections and opening anything electronic like this, so I'll probably offer to do this. We shall see on this, but most importantly I wanted to make this available for everyone!

Next biggy, and the one I'm most passionate about, the Duo sound issue!!!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Nice work! Very commendable stuff.. I wonder if somebody posted this before.. I have a express but mine is perfect.. no dead pixels and full sound. Just need a box so if u have one ill take it! :)

Anyways nice work!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
wizkid007 said:
I wonder if somebody posted this before.. I have a express but mine is perfect.. no dead pixels and full sound.

Luckily I do too.. :)
No Dead Pixels and:
When I bought it the seller had a few,he noted that mine was the loudest out of all the one's he had........and man it's loud..

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Dean you are a Legend. May have to get another GT now that you have the sound fix.

Fantastic post..many thanks.
Just received a GT and has the sound issue so I'll be off to Maplin Electronics to get the stuff and should have it done this weeeknd.

:)