Worst Street Fighter game

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
kafuin_gaira said:
some anime char, look for a DnC post to sum it up for ya.
No need to look.

To me, it appears that Q's design may have been slightly influenced by that of Robot Deka [Robot Detective] (LINK-1 LINK-2), a 26-episode 1973 live-action Fuji TV series (created by Ishinomori Shoutarou, creator of Kikaider, Hakaider, Kamen Rider, Cyborg 009, etc.) -- Robot Deka was certainly a strong influence on the 2002 anime TV series, Heat Guy J. However, the old manga/anime character design with the strongest resemblance to Q's would have to be the tekkamen [iron mask] robot goons from the manga (and the 3 anime series it inspired), Babiru Nisei [Babil II, or Babil The Second -- released in America as Babel II, and in Italy as Babil Junior]. The tekkamen robots were tall, drab-colored, humanoid automatons, usually seen wearing fedora hats, trenchcoats, pants, and gloves (very similar to Q's appearance/garb). Babiru Nisei was created by Yokoyama Mitsuteru (creator of Tetsujin 28 [aka Gigantor], Giant Robo, Mars, Kamen no Ninja Akakage, etc.). I don't have a link to an image of the tekkamen design as it appeared in Babiru Nisei, but a very faithful interpretation of this design was used in the first episode of the 7-episode anime video series, Giant Robo The Animation -The Day the Earth Stood Still-. Near the beginning of episode 1, Professor Shizuma is rescued by Ginrei, who is (at first) wearing a disguise based on the tekkamen robot design from Babiru Nisei.

BTW, just learned about this 3rd STRIKE character design source:
Twelve's design is based on that of the alien monster in episode 12 (broadcast 12/17/1967) of the "Ultra Seven" TV series. Ultra Seven was the 3rd installment in Tsuburaya Productions long-running series of "Ultraman" tokusatsu (live-action special effects) TV shows. The alien monster in episode 12 was designated "Spehl-seijin" -- literally, "the being from the planet Spehl." The episode's original Japanese title was "Wakusei yori ai o komete" [From Another Planet with Love], while the English dub broadcast by Turner Network Television in the early '90s used the title "Crystallized Corpuscles." Episode 12 is something of a big deal in Japan, as it has been banned there since 1970. The 1999 12-volume Japanese region-2 DVD release of Ultra Seven does not include ep.12 -- vol. 3 contains eps 9-11, and 13. I've seen a number of Japanese auction site listings for bootleg DVD copies of the elusive ep.12. Here's some detailed info on the reason for the ban, taken from the tvtome.com Ultra Seven episode guide:
tvtome.com said:
As of 1970, this episode has been banned in Japan, due to protest from a special interest group for survivors of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in WWII. The episode supposedly portrayed nuclear bomb victims in a negative light (in this case, the Spehl Aliens, whose nuclear tests destroyed their own planet and thus irradiated their own race, so they invade Earth to use fresh human blood to restore their own bodies). However, this controversial lost episode was shown in the Hawaiian English dubbed version in 1975, and was also featured in Turner's English version (featured on TNT) under the title "Crystalized Corpuscles."
For a nice English-language overview of the Ultra Seven series, please the the Ultra Seven entry at tvtome.com.

--Chris

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
yup, you'll always get my vote for "most exhaustively informative poster" here on ng.com

props, and shit.

NeoGeo Hunter

Fio's Quartermaster
followed by the original Street Fighter.

I disagreed with you G (The original Classic Arcade Street Fighter) is the CEO,THE FOUNDER, & GODFATHER of street fighters today we know off.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:

Pfft, you forgot to mention other Q influenced characters can be found in the game Psycho Soldier and The anime Hand Maid May. ;)

I'm sure you could list dozens.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
Oro is cool only if you know his story.

..but Necro? Nothing is great about bald heads, earrings, and purple pants :crying:
Man...Necro, Oro and Q are my three favorite designs in the game... The ones I find bland are the typical anime beautiful people style, like Ibuki and Remy.

@Dash no Chris: glad to see I'm not the only one who made the Q/Ishinomori connection (although you put more emphasis on Yokoyama Mitsuteru). I don't know if you noticed, but in Q's ending, in the shot where his shadow goes across the screen... to the right, you can see a newspaper or something, tacked to the wall, with the words: "ROBODEKA-Q" (although it could be ROBODEKK; hard to tell for sure). I kind of took that as a hint of his link to Ishinomori's Keiji (which are the same kanji as 'Deka". That made me unsure of the name of the comic/show, because in the comic I have, there's no furigana for the title, only for the character's name within the story: Robot Keiji, or "K").

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I guess many of you have yet to play Street Fighter or even worse: Street Fighter:2010

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
sf:2010 has nothing to do with street fighter proper. the name was changed by capcom usa to capitalize on sf's successes at the time.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Pretty divided here in terms of character designs in SF3..

I personally can't stand Yun and Yang, or Remy. Q is awesome. As for Ibuki, I just don't see it...she doesn't come off as an intentional "beautiful person."

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
SLAM DANCE :kekeke:
ELECTRIC SNAKE
:kekeke: :kekeke: :kekeke:

also, twelves special move animations are the shiznit, look at x.c.o.p.y, So cool!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
sf:2010 has nothing to do with street fighter proper. the name was changed by capcom usa to capitalize on sf's successes at the time.

What Success?

The Success of street fighter? That was a failed franchise in 1990. Why not drop the Street Fighter stuff and just call it final fight? That was the more popular francise at the time.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Brother...

To quote the Joker from the original Batman movie, "Wait'll they get aload of me!"

IMO the worst SF game - Hands down 'Turbo Hyper Fighting'.

Hated the insane speed (Counldn't do much when the games moved at regular speed.) and the fact you can't slow the game down didn't help things either.

As far as characters went, hated all the original 8 World Warriors except Chun-Li. Bison (Dictator) and Sagat were the only bosses I did like.
And Cammy, Dee Jay and Fei Long round out the remaining characters I liked as far as the SF II cast goes. Such an overated cast IMO.

I love SSFII. Seems to be the only SF II game where it seemed all the characters were playable (Couldn't do crap even with the ones I liked in the earlier three.). Capcom apparently made SSF geared towards crap players like myself as it's the only SF II game I could actually finish in one sitting in the arcades, aside from Champion Edition (And that was only because I was using Ken and his godly jumping Fierce Punch which beats damn near ever anti-air move in the game! Now I know why my best friend played the hell out of him!).

SSFIIX/Turbo was good save for the BS the improved AI could do get away with.

SF Alpha/Zero started off well enough, but bringing back so many SF II characters pretty much killed what hopes I had for this series. The characters I liked from this series:

Rose
Guy (Prior to Alpha/Zero 2 and up.)
Adon
Karin
Cody (Who captures the essence of FF alot more than Guy did IMO.)
Sodom
Gen
Dan
Sakura

Personally, I still prefer SF III New Generation over the later games. Not to say that 2nd Impact and 3rd Strike and horrible games; just that there wasn't alot for me to get excited about. Hate what was done with Chun-Li. Don't like how the KOF style auto gaurd was sacrificed for Red Parries. Didn't want another character based on Guile's lame gameplay (Remy's only redeeming trait is his reversal Super Art, and even it isn't all that great.). Aside from some new moves for some of the characters and Makoto, there's not much I do care about as far as 3rd Strike goes. Characters I like:

Alex
Makoto
Yun
Yang
Sean (Prior to his bastardization in 3rd Strike)
Ibuki
Elena
Hugo (Warmed up to him since his original appearance)
Urien

Ryu gets a new special and it's the only reason I play him. Seriously!

SF EX had its moments.

Never played SF the movie and don't intend to start.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
ANYONE who says Street Fighter EX is in any way bad, is simply put, a mindless idiot.

I will wager to say that still today, it is the best Fighting Game ever created. Not just on the PSX, but in the whole land of Videogames.

I have yet to see any other Fighting game have a CPU AI that LEARNS through playing. That recognizes your patterns after a while and will capitalize on your mistakes.

I have yet to see any other Fighting game have a Watch Mode that is worth watching, for more than an hour even, because the CPU AI get better and better at playing each other, and the fights will get more exciting.

I have yet to see any other Fighting game CPU do intricate Combos, and switch it up mid play.

I have yet to see any other Fighting game End Boss NOT beat you through Cheese/heightened attributes/faster recovery/faster super gauge/easier throws, but beat you with SKILL.

Underdog

Camel Slug
Necro's design rocks all kinds of face. But the only design I think is really bad in SF3 is Twelve, so I likely have terrible taste.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Ilovejapangirls said:
and the fact that the style it s done with real "actors" makes it suck even more

FOO

best reca'nize.

Ernie Reyez Sr rocked as Akuma. I just wish they used him in the real movie.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Proof positive that Dark Andy doesn't have friends to play games with.

"omg the AI learns..."

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Who here actuly has friends that play fighting games....

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:

Well, I've got my Bro, but I really dislike Competitive games against each other.

Co-op is the way to go with me, like FPS games, and Mario Party games. Shame there's very few Racing games that has CPU players in multiplay mode...

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
DARK ANDY said:
Well, I've got my Bro, but I really dislike Competitive games against each other.

Co-op is the way to go with me, like FPS games, and Mario Party games. Shame there's very few Racing games that has CPU players in multiplay mode...

Are you scared to lose? :spock:

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
DARK ANDY said:
I have yet to see any other Fighting game have a CPU AI that LEARNS through playing. That recognizes your patterns after a while and will capitalize on your mistakes.

Virtua Fighter 2's AI was doing that way back in '96.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:

Me. Several, and the offer great competition.