MVS 4 slot - is backup RAM surface mount?

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
A friend of mine has an MVS 4-slot that's giving a backup RAM error - unfortunately he currently lives quite a way from me and doesn't know enough about electronics to give me the required info, ie are the Backup RAM chips surface mount or not? I ask simply because I can't handle surface mount, yet I could easily replace a non- SMT chip (and socket it, etc - assuming of course the battery simply doesn't need replacing).

Thanks,
IG

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
IronGiant said:
A friend of mine has an MVS 4-slot that's giving a backup RAM error - unfortunately he currently lives quite a way from me and doesn't know enough about electronics to give me the required info, ie are the Backup RAM chips surface mount or not? I ask simply because I can't handle surface mount, yet I could easily replace a non- SMT chip (and socket it, etc - assuming of course the battery simply doesn't need replacing).

Thanks,
IG

From what I understand, the battery won't give that kind of error message. Even when the battery is completely removed, the board should run fine - it just won't save the settings, of course. So I think you can rule that out.

Sorry I can't help with the RAM chips, but I'm not sure about them. I'm sure one of the guys here will be able to help with that though.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks galfordo - appreciated. :)

Now can anyone help with the RAM issue please?

Also, what's a commonly available substitute (say from Farnell or RS)?

Cheers,
IG

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Surface mount. And since you said you can't handle that I won't mention substitutes.

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Well, thinking about it I may know a chap who could handle them ....... so what are the subs please? :)

Thanks,
IG

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109062

These should be OK (edit: no, see below) as long as they follow the pinout in the datasheet. I've ordered mine but haven't received them yet:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...toreId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=141233

On a side note, I was able to force AES mode with the unibios on that MVS mobo even with broken/removed ram. So if you (or your friend) can get hold of a unibios, that may be a temporary solution until the ram is replaced.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
IMPORTANT EDIT:

The replacement RAM from Jameco linked above comes in the wrong package (SOJ) instead of the correct one for the NEO (SOIC). See the difference between the two types:

SOICSOJ.bmp

..........SOIC..................SOJ
.........(good)................(bad)

Basically the pins of the SOJ package don't match the soldering pads of the Neo PCB.

No ram chips from Jameco will do as far as i can see (unless you hardwire it :oh_no: ).