SSVS Fixed version - the Official Thread

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
The game doesn't really have much of a storyline. It's sort of like a dream match. Your job basically is to defeat all 4 bosses which throw themselves into the game. What little story there is is translated to english, something Playmore was too lazy to do with SS5.

I refuse to play censored games, so with all the dismemberments/fatalities intact I think this is the best SS game they came up with. The presentation and graphics are way better than SS5, plus they didn't have those 2 annoying headswap characters.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
neojedi said:
I've heard nothing about SSVS being on the Xbox. Anyway, the likelihood of SNKP putting fatalities on the Xbox is roughly equal to the likelihood of them putting the SS64 OAV with dubs and subs on the same disc for good measure. :rolleyes:

Well, it seems SNK has been pretty kind to X-Box gamers as far as censorship goes. Look at Metal Slug X on PS1 compared to Metal Slug 3 on X-Box, there's red blood instead of white blood in 3. So I hope SNK learns they don't need to censor anything.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Abster said:
are way better than SS5, plus they didn't have those 2 annoying headswap characters.

Annoying? Oh hell no!! I am Predident of teh
Sankuro fan club!! That character is very original to the series and maybe ethnic(?) even Yumeji is interesting however she could use a little more personality as opposed to just morphing into random opponents. I would have like to see her have a unique fighting technique with the morphing as a special.
I would have had no problems at all if Gaoh-X was X'ed in favor of Sankuro and his team.
-BB

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere else, but are the sound bug fixed?
I understand the fatalities are back, with blood but just without the mutilations.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Lets see. Sankuro is a Genjuro headswap with special moves consiting entirely of strikers, and Yumeji is a Bust Ukyo headswap that uses other characters special moves by turning into them. Entirely unoriginal.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Abster said:
Lets see. Sankuro is a Genjuro headswap with special moves consiting entirely of strikers, and Yumeji is a Bust Ukyo headswap that uses other characters special moves by turning into them. Entirely unoriginal.

Entirely unoriginal overall but not to the series...Sure SNKP got lazy but the concepts were good imo and out of the three,Gaoh-X would have never made the cut.
-BB

pretas

Marked Wolf
what about the stickers and boards?

how do the cart sticker look? (is there a crease line?) iwas reading some of the older threads and it seemed like the sticker would end up creased (whether a lot or a little was not known at the time) from being opened?

the neostore only claims, "no insertion marks" which leads me to think some or maybe even all have evidence of being opened.

also has anyone opened their aes cart since getting it back? it wouldbe neat to know if it was a board swap or an MVS-style fix with EPROMS.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
pretas said:
how do the cart sticker look? (is there a crease line?) iwas reading some of the older threads and it seemed like the sticker would end up creased (whether a lot or a little was not known at the time) from being opened?

the neostore only claims, "no insertion marks" which leads me to think some or maybe even all have evidence of being opened.

also has anyone opened their aes cart since getting it back? it wouldbe neat to know if it was a board swap or an MVS-style fix with EPROMS.

Apparently, there was some creasing on the cart sticker:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1274136#post1274136

I'm not sure about how the fix was performed.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
pretas said:

Ooooh, forgot all about that :eek:
Well, I know that this cart meets the needs of those purists who do not wish to tamper with their hardware.. you get blood,etc but not the cuts..
SSV sold well and it did'nt have the cuts so.... I guess everybody giot what they wanted in the end.
-BB

pretas

Marked Wolf
BIG BEAR said:
Ooooh, forgot all about that :eek:
Well, I know that this cart meets the needs of those purists who do not wish to tamper with their hardware.. you get blood,etc but not the cuts..
SSV sold well and it did'nt have the cuts so.... I guess everybody giot what they wanted in the end.
-BB

quite true, it's just a neat piece of NG trivia in the end. still I'd like to know.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Makismo said:
This game has super dorky fatalities...

Maybe that's because you don't have the full fatalities...

Makismo said:
In order to use the fatality move, your rage gauge has to be at max or it won't work. I found myself letting the enemy hit me to get my rage gauge up. I have never heard of a game where you have to let the enemy hit you in order to win. All in all, this game is crap. :very_ang:

Wrong. You can press A+B+C at any time (even with an empty Rage Gauge) in order to move to rage explosion. Then just do the fatality.

Maybe you should actually play the game before you start criticising it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Gaoh is really the only character of the bunch who isn't a headswap. Plus his armor mode is badass. If I was to like Yumeji or Sankuro, give them original moves instead of stealing others.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
For the two or three of you that would like to know...

Here's a picture of the fixed board...

Linky

The crease...

Linky

The bonus...

Linky

mai.gif

Click Here To Pick Up Your Mai Prize...

kanji

Mega Shock!!
By the way, is there a good translation out there for the text of the game?

I don't know why they didn't just put on a 2nd sticker.

So they did get a flash ROM though... Someone needs to dump the ROM so we can see the "fixes".

B

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
brentsg said:

So they did get a flash ROM though... Someone needs to dump the ROM so we can see the "fixes".

B

Indeed.

Raz

seiken2099

Quiz Detective
brentsg said:

B

:make_fac: YES..

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
BIG BEAR said:
Entirely unoriginal overall but not to the series...Sure SNKP got lazy but the concepts were good imo and out of the three,Gaoh-X would have never made the cut.
-BB
I like Gaoh... I wasn't a big fan of him in SS5, but I'm liking him more in SS5S... Thanks to his new animations, voices and stuff...
He may be a bit lacking compared to his other bosses, like sprite wise, which could have had a better animation... Like for his stance, which isn't so bad, but his weapon isn't moving in a smooth way, and I'm anal about that kind of things... But he's still cool.
(talking about stance animation, Sankuro's has to be the worst in the whole series)
I like Gaoh's design (made by Nobuhiro Watsuki), I like his voice as well... And I like to play as him.

As Abster said, he isn't a clone either... And there's too many of them now. I wouldn't mind if it was the last appearance of the likes of Rasetsumaru, instead. But seeing Gaoh again (and improved) would be cool to me.

Anyway, I like Gaoh much better than Sankuro and Yumeji.
I agree, Yumeji needs to be more of her own character if she ever comes back...
As for Sankuro, he needs to be greatly improved... Especially his look... I don't hate him really, but he is barely half a character to me... I guess I may like him better if I understood Japanese, as he's supposed to say funny stuff from what I gathered...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
nekkibasara1213 said:
Does anyone know if the fixed version of SSVS has full fatalities when using the unibios 2.0?

I would bet that they don't. The "fixed" version has brand new code in it, which in all likelihood totally replaces the original fatalities. I would like confirmation, but I seriously doubt that they're unlockable, even with future versions of the uni-bios. The only way to do it would probably be to re-program the actual roms that were replaced.

P.S. Thanks for the pictures, Tip. It does at least look like they tried to minimize the damage ....

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
I would bet that they don't. The "fixed" version has brand new code in it, which in all likelihood totally replaces the original fatalities. I would like confirmation, but I seriously doubt that they're unlockable, even with future versions of the uni-bios. The only way to do it would probably be to re-program the actual roms that were replaced.

P.S. Thanks for the pictures, Tip. It does at least look like they tried to minimize the damage ....
Yeah, it just took too long...This "FIX" is the equivalent of a Korean Samurai Spirits I'd bet.
-BB

Freelancer

Banned
nekkibasara1213 said:
Pardon my ignorance, as I am new to the Neo Geo, but what exactly is "Bit-rot"?

EPROM chips are burned using UV light. They're not like permanent mask roms. Over time, the information will "rot" away...this phenomenon is accelerated when the chips are exposed and subjected to excessive light.

Granted, some Neo games contain EPROMS (as do most arcade PCB's, which I myself own). But all in all, the information on these chips will degrade over time...20-30 years if great care is taken.