Hyperkin Ultra GameBoy

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Why not just buy a PSP and have that and more?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Looks interesting. I'll keep my eye on this, but I don't know why I'd spend close to 100 for this when I have my GB Boy Color that cost £35. I suppose it depends on the quality of the final product.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Hyperkin fucking sucks. Just buy a GBA or a better portable emulator machine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really, really want this to be good. Hyperkin has been upping their game with the last few controllers I've picked up from them (their small Xbone controller is really nice) so I have high hopes for this. Please don't fuck it up like most clone console makers usually do.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
This one is a bit ridiculous. What we need is a GBC clone, with a backlit screen and proper aspect ratio. With Kong Feng's GB Boy consoles out there, a $100 mono colone is a bit much. You can get yourself a real Game Boy and mod it. Heck, you can even get a GB Boy mono and do a backlight mod. Sure, many prefer to simply buy instead of modding, but if that's the case, you can get a GBA, like Famicommander suggested.

Also, in all honesty, the screen doesn't look too spectacular. Here's another video:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Holy cow that screen looks horrible. Why would anyone want this over a backlit GBA SP.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This one is a bit ridiculous. What we need is a GBC clone, with a backlit screen and proper aspect ratio.

I would also prefer a backlit GBC, that would be tits. Still, the GB pocket is a fantastic little system, I love the form factor and the fact that it has a bigger screen than anything else in the GB line for the B&W games.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I was looking forward to the far superior retro-bit Super Retro Boy, but that got put on indefinite hold because of Nintendo filing trademark renewals...on something.

Even Hyperkin's Ultra Gameboy 6 hour battery life sucks compared to Super Retro Boy's 10 hours.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I actually love the concept of this - the original Gameboy is hardware that never really went away as far as fans go. But if they want to make a device people like myself would buy, it needs a way better screen than that. At least get it 1:1 with a biverted screen. The contrast on the one shown at CES looks like garbage.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I was looking forward to the far superior retro-bit Super Retro Boy, but that got put on indefinite hold because of Nintendo filing trademark renewals...on something.

Even Hyperkin's Ultra Gameboy 6 hour battery life sucks compared to Super Retro Boy's 10 hours.

Hyperkin is more likely to put out a good product than Retrobit. Retrobit's SNES handheld is garbage.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Why not just buy a PSP and have that and more?

Why not get (insert linux based handheld ) and get even more....

Hyperkin stuff is straight out of China, but there is a level on convenience there.
It took all of 30min for this thread to turn into the typical discussion of "why not use RetroPi, everdrives, ROMS, OG is best, etc....."

famicommander

15 Year Member
Why not get (insert linux based handheld ) and get even more....

Hyperkin stuff is straight out of China, but there is a level on convenience there.
It took all of 30min for this thread to turn into the typical discussion of "why not use RetroPi, everdrives, ROMS, OG is best, etc....."
No seriously, what is convenient about this thing? No GBA support, software emulation, more expensive than real hardware, worse battery life than real hardware.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If they do it right it could be the single best way to play black and white GB games.

That's a pretty big if though.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If they do it right it could be the single best way to play black and white GB games.

That's a pretty big if though.

No way they do it better than an SP or a Gamecube Game Boy Player with the ultra low latency Game Boy Interface homebrew disc.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No seriously, what is convenient about this thing? No GBA support, software emulation, more expensive than real hardware, worse battery life than real hardware.

Can't say because it's not at retail yet, but all the OG handhelds had ridiculous ghosting and motion blur.

Let me know when you can put a GameCube+ GBA player in your back pocket....

pva

Mega Shock!!
I bet Hyperkin will take the same license-violating ROM-dumping emulator road with the Ultra Game Boy as they did with the RetroN 5. No thanks, I'll pass.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No way they do it better than an SP or a Gamecube Game Boy Player with the ultra low latency Game Boy Interface homebrew disc.

I'm not really crazy about playing GB and GBC on a GBA, the image is very small on the screen and the controls don't feel great on either model. I do use a backlit regular GBA most of the time since it's the best compromise, but a backlit Gameboy Color would be my personal choice for playing the original games.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Can't say because it's not at retail yet, but all the OG handhelds had ridiculous ghosting and motion blur.

Let me know when you can put a GameCube+ GBA player in your back pocket....

The OG handhelds are almost 3 decades old, of course the screen tech isn't great.

But there are three models of GBA that have hardware backwards compatibility and those will fit in your pocket.
And they play Color and Advance games, get better battery life, and aren't designed by a company notorious for putting out garbage hardware. And the screens on them are almost guaranteed to shit all over this Hyperkin garbage.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
WTewY3B.jpg

$150 Shipped.

Last edited:

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Unless this thing is running off an FPGA, I’m not interested. I like idea, but I can’t stand SOC clones. They never sound right, and they usually don’t play like the OG hardware either. I wouldn’t mind having a modern Game Boy, but only if it plays and sounds like the original hardware.