Jamma Nation X CMVS Consolized MVS system reviewed!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Yours truly has released a video review of the fantastic CMVS from JNX.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Good Job Todd. You can never go wrong with a JNX CMVS.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Great review, that is a lovely quality looking unit too . What are you running the RGB cable through to get to that monitor, the picture looks good!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Has a very 1991 PC accessory look to it. I like it.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Great review! James does great work and he deserves the recognition.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Nice review! I wasn't aware of the dual frequency oscillator option. It would be nice if there was an itemized price list on the JNX website for various CMVS builds and options. I've owned/used CMVS units from all the major builders and JNX is definitely #1. I would recommend getting a unit built with RCA audio outs as the sound quality is slightly cleaner vs from the mini DIN connector. The optional cart slot dust cover built by lions3 and NeoBiosMasta w/VMC are great upgrades. My only quibble with the case is it's too compact to accommodate a socketed bios that would enable easier UniBios upgrades.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nice review! I wasn't aware of the dual frequency oscillator option. It would be nice if there was an itemized price list on the JNX website for various CMVS builds and options.

I can agree with that. I had to ask a couple times about the different options available as I wasn't sure what all he offered or what something (like the dfo) exactly did.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice review! I wasn't aware of the dual frequency oscillator option. It would be nice if there was an itemized price list on the JNX website for various CMVS builds and options. I've owned/used CMVS units from all the major builders and JNX is definitely #1. I would recommend getting a unit built with RCA audio outs as the sound quality is slightly cleaner vs from the mini DIN connector. The optional cart slot dust cover built by lions3 and NeoBiosMasta w/VMC are great upgrades. My only quibble with the case is it's too compact to accommodate a socketed bios that would enable easier UniBios upgrades.

The DFO was only added about 4 months ago. I've also added other things. But the DFO was designed by a chap named Micro on Assembler and he did an awesome job. As for the socketed bios, I'm working on something to remedy that.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Good review. Big fan of the design and I like the small footprint. So around $250 seems like base pricing, but how much does each additional video option cost?

It would be nice if there was an itemized price list on the JNX website for various CMVS builds and options.

Agreed. I'd imagine it would save headaches from lots of people asking for quotes, too.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Good review. Big fan of the design and I like the small footprint. So around $250 seems like base pricing, but how much does each additional video option cost?

Agreed. I'd imagine it would save headaches from lots of people asking for quotes, too.

I thought about a list but since prices change all the time depending on my cost, I chose not to. I don't mind giving people quotes when they choose from the list I send them plus it's hard to itemize a list when you can't exactly factor in labor correctly since I give labor discounts depending on configuration.

As for the video options, that's the pricing problem. RGB by itself is a price but as soon as you want composite or s-video, an encoder needs to be added and so on. This is why I prefer sending the buyer a list of options and then they let me know which combination they want. If they have a certain budget in mind, I work with them on trying to meet it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The DFO was only added about 4 months ago. I've also added other things. But the DFO was designed by a chap named Micro on Assembler and he did an awesome job. As for the socketed bios, I'm working on something to remedy that.

Excellent! It speaks volumes that you are continually trying to improve a product that's already the best on the market.

I thought about a list but since prices change all the time depending on my cost, I chose not to. I don't mind giving people quotes when they choose from the list I send them plus it's hard to itemize a list when you can't exactly factor in labor correctly since I give labor discounts depending on configuration.

As for the video options, that's the pricing problem. RGB by itself is a price but as soon as you want composite or s-video, an encoder needs to be added and so on. This is why I prefer sending the buyer a list of options and then they let me know which combination they want. If they have a certain budget in mind, I work with them on trying to meet it.

Thanks for explaining the pricing situation. Is there a current list of the available options you could post to let potential customers know what is available, along with a short description? Even if you don't include prices, I think that would be helpful and maybe save you some time fielding questions.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Nice review man, James does the cleanest mod work everything looks pro all the way.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I just watched this.

Awesome job Yodd. Very professional, as always. Like the camera pans.

Super impressed with the tidy job on the inside of the unit. I have made the correct choice.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Very nice review. Gotta love how small these are and the look that they have. Been wanting to purchase one of these for a while now and seeing your review does make this an easier decision.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Great review. Also, it should be noted that James did an awesome job communicating and providing updates.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So that means a non Stereo board can be modded to Stereo like headphone AND amplified speaker out?

Never understood why most MVS revisions are Mono? Boombast Neo Sound in Mono ist a crime.

The boards produce stereo. JAMMA output is mono.

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
Honestly, hats off to James who's still doing quality work for the community after all these years...

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I have to say I couldn't be happier with my CMVS. Great review as well!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Excellent job on the review. Perfect length for the video and well done all around. I've been planning on snagging one since this summer and been saving up. This made me even more excited. After all the Xmas spending is done this is next on the list! :)