Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Watched my bootleg copy of Song of the South. It seems to be a first generation copy of the original VHS, or from some other source. Recorded onto a T-120, with the tab removed, but with printed UK/PAL label and box artwork.

I don't see what makes people so riled up about this movie or why Disney seems afraid to re-release it in the US. No one ever says anything bad to anyone that I could tell, other than the two kids who want to drown the puppy. Oh and the main character kid gets run over by a bull, but it isn't shown. Kind of depressing end but he gets better.

...yeah....so...there's currently all kinds of racial tension in the US...lots of people waling on egg shells at the moment. I'm pretty sure I know why Disney doesn't want to have that one out there...

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
To be fair though, Disney has never released the movie in the US on home video and it hasn't been released anywhere in almost 30 years so it really has nothing to do with modern sensibilities. The movie was always controversial (even at release) and the "tar baby" sequence and the plantation setting just aren't appropriate for a movie aimed at kids.

I personally think the movie should be made available (much in the way other "racist" cartoons and what not have been made available with introductions explaining how what was appropriate back then isn't appropriate now) but Song of the South isn't the victim of some recent social justice outrage campaign. It's been controversial since the word jump.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Watched my bootleg copy of Song of the South. It seems to be a first generation copy of the original VHS, or from some other source. Recorded onto a T-120, with the tab removed, but with printed UK/PAL label and box artwork.

I don't see what makes people so riled up about this movie or why Disney seems afraid to re-release it in the US. No one ever says anything bad to anyone that I could tell, other than the two kids who want to drown the puppy. Oh and the main character kid gets run over by a bull, but it isn't shown. Kind of depressing end but he gets better.

My buddy was confused too until he recently rewatched it, it really boils down to one scene, which is when the slaves are singing and happy like they're Snow White and not being held against their will as forced, expendable labor. I still feel like at the very least they could release a slightly edited official release, although obviously the best case scenario would be them just sticking a little disclaimer on the beginning of the film like WB has been doing with their old cartoons that featured...questionable material surrounding race

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
The problem is that Disney is seen by the public as a child friendly brand. Too many middle-class bubbles would be burst if Disney were to release that movie.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
The problem is that Disney is seen by the public as a child friendly brand. Too many middle-class bubbles would be burst if Disney were to release that movie.

Then they should release it as a Touchstone pictures film, or one of the many, many other studio labels they now own

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
To be fair though, Disney has never released the movie in the US on home video

If it was not released on "home video" then what format was it in when it was played at schools? Played on a projector, that is the first way I recall watching it.

My buddy was confused too until he recently rewatched it, it really boils down to one scene, which is when the slaves are singing

Well see, the movie doesn't give a clear time for when it occurs, and they never use the term "slaves" or anything like that. They are just shown as being there. Uncle Remus has a house, but the workers are not shown if they live there. There is the part where they are singing about Uncle Remus in the woods like a bunch of Druids or something, and then every now and then it shows them walking down the road and singing with their farm tools.

And about Uncle Remus, when he decides to leave, he says his house is the only one he's ever known, and he is an old dude. So certainly he did live there during the time of slavery. But no one makes a fuss about him leaving and he even leaves on the same horse drawn carriage that brings the to and from the house. This would indicate that he is not a slave and has freedom to travel.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Victor Crowley - the fourth Hatchet movie. Micro budget was obvious, but the lead guy is actually pretty good and Adam Green still can make a solid horror movie. Also some pretty amazingly ribald yet effective humor (there was one gag in particular that made my jaw drop, but I did laugh, too).

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If it was not released on "home video" then what format was it in when it was played at schools? Played on a projector, that is the first way I recall watching it.

Bits and pieces of it have been included in compilations and anthologies but it has never been released in full on any home video format (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, etc.) in America. Its last release was in 1991 on Laserdisc in Japan which is where most of the bootlegs come from.

Doing a little googling, apparently it was available on 16mm film (which are the film strips that were shown back in the day in schools) in the 70s for educational purposes. Also it's now illegal for the few universities that still have copies of it to screen it. Fun times!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Marrowbone

a good movie with a plot twist within a plot twist within a plot twist and it's done well. i don't want to give away anything because it's one of those things you got to see for your self.

my only gripe was that the movie has this big family whimsical moments all through the movie which doesn't belong in a horror/thriller but it all makes sense at the end.

the acting was pretty good but some of the accents were off in that in a british family of five kids, some have british accents an others have american.

still was a great watch for the plot twists alone. if you like horror/thrillers similar to nicole kidman's the others, then you would enjoy this.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Black Panther.

It was OK. I don't know much about the character, but I like Cooglers movies, and I like Michael B Jordan. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't even a "bad" movie. It. Was just kinda.... Meh.

I guess that makes me a racist, going by face book anyway.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Black Panther.

It was OK. I don't know much about the character, but I like Cooglers movies, and I like Michael B Jordan. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't even a "bad" movie. It. Was just kinda.... Meh.

I guess that makes me a racist, going by face book anyway.

I haven’t seen a Marvel film yet that wasn’t “meh”...

I figured the “OMG best film in the history of film!!!” Black Panther reviews were a bit.......skewed.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
matters not what i think.
watching a rerun of babylon5 a call to arms later. (and crusade short lived series.)
should be clear indication where my bias is. :D

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I haven’t seen a Marvel film yet that wasn’t “meh”...

I figured the “OMG best film in the history of film!!!” Black Panther reviews were a bit.......skewed.
The first avengers, civil war, Thor 3, Guardians 1/2 were great. And yes, the reviews are very skewed.

It's like people are afraid of saying it was just an average film because a certain community will label them as intolerant and racist.

What I don't get though, is the cast was clearly intended to be all black people, but one of the linchpin black characters in the MCU didn't even make an appearance and wasn't even referred to. The fuck..

Also, no James Earl Jones? You done fucked up, Coogler.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
i, tonya - very good...i really like margot robbie but overall all characters were a great cast. and it was slightly better than blades of glory...

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Saw Annihilation last night. It was good, and I really like how almost all of the visuals - even the color correction - related back to the main theme.

hqdefault.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Winter Soldier was great. I didnt like it at first, but after a second viewing I really did enjoy it. But Civil War was still much better. If for nothing else, the Avengers mini-brawl halfway through it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Chuck- Pretty damn good, kept waiting for when he was gonna do coke and he did and went straight from working class hero to Andrew Dice Clay.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
shape of water - meh...what a letdown. movie did not touch me in any way - the best thing about this movie was michael shannon playing in it...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So disappointed, watched two great directors shit the bed yesterday.

Thousand Faces of Dunjia - Yuen Woo Ping movies has always had shitty comedy but the fights were always exceptional. This had shitty comedy with no real fighting. Lots of shitty effects. This look more like a Tsui Hark film.

Manhunt - John Woo's newest film...You got the white doves, slow mo shooting, thousand bullets, etc...Actually there was a little bit of everything from previous John Woo films...It seem like a fanboy director who wanted to pay homage to John Woo films but without the cool factor. The action didn't seem as tightly edited as we are accustom to. The international cast was ok but the Engrish was awful especially the Jap. Wannabe John Woo film by John Woo

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
shape of water - meh...what a letdown. movie did not touch me in any way - the best thing about this movie was michael shannon playing in it...

Bummer...I was looking forward to this one...and I'm a Shannon fanboi...

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Mom and Dad - weird movie. It takes a completely ridiculous premise and then kind of picks and chooses how to warp the movie's reality to fit that. Doesn't work all that well, but Selma Blair and Nic Cage make it somewhat entertaining, at least.

Blade of the Immortal - Miike's "100th" movie, based on the Manga. Awesome. Very good fight scenes and strong characters. Hana Sugisaki yells way too many of her lines, though.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Blade of the Immortal - Miike's "100th" movie, based on the Manga. Awesome. Very good fight scenes and strong characters. Hana Sugisaki yells way too many of her lines, though.

Awesome, i need to watch this still. I did end up watching Miyamoto Musashi TV/mini series starring the same actor Takuya Kimura. This isn't as "epic" as Samurai Trilogy by Hiroshi Inagaki as its impossible to replace Toshiro Mifune but this one was actually quite good. A lot more light hearted and the action scene is quite good.

Thor Ragnorok - Too many silly scenes but wow some nice comic book type battles. Movie had great energy and Hela was pretty sweet along with Valkyrie.

Justice League - Again too many jokes and the characters seem out of character. Batman was terrible because of this. Superman kicked ass but the jokes almost ruined him. Flash was not funny. The rest were pretty good.

First Blood - Watched this with the kidos and they loved it. This movie has always been one of my favs films and decided it was time for them to start watching some R rated films. We will probably watch all of them, not sure about Rambo 4 that was pretty hardcore when i saw that in the theater.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,

Watched this one with my wife and really enjoyed it until it started to get weird. The music and visual asthetics were all great and the creature looked really good but once it got to the
Spoiler:
"sex with fish creature"
it just turned us off. Him eating the cat like Dart from Stranger Things got a good laugh out of us however.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I watched Wind River on Netflix. It's solid. Definitely a slow burn, but it's pretty unique. It highlights the lack of social resources on reservations without being too heavy handed about it. Seeing Elizabeth Olsen actually act (as opposed to her just kind of standing there in Marvel movies) was nice. And there are a few "holy shit" moments. Definitely worth watching.