Neo-Geo Deck (Hotel Unit) bios dumped

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Cool! hope the buyer will share what is on that flyer, with that amount of text it would be a shame to let it go again for years... afterall why collect stuff and let nobody know about it!? (^_^!)

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Cool! hope the buyer will share what is on that flyer, with that amount of text it would be a shame to let it go again for years... afterall why collect stuff and let nobody know about it!? (^_^!)

you , are, right.

so simple, so true.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
Hi,

time passed and recently I decided to (finally) clean my Deck Unit, take a look at the pcb and the bios stuff.

As it was a socket type, I decided to dump it, as I was guessing it's afterall still an obscure object, even for those (few) people who actually owns one.

I was right, as the bios actually differs from the others dumped for MAME, so I submitted it and will be probably officially supported on the next version.

Here some screenshot for comparison:

MVS Jap (V1)
jap-V1.png

MVS Jap (V2)
jap-V2.png

MVS Jap (V3)
jap-V3.png

Deck Unit
deck.png

The features are of course the same of other MVS, the differences at a first sight are in the main menu screen, and the missing "Setting up the code number" (the deck unit doesn't support the memcard).

From a production point of view, I think the Deck bios should be placed beetween MAME's "Jap Ver2" and "Jap Ver3" as is the only one dated '93, but with the revision "6" on the upper right corner, logically after the "5" of JapV2.

The most similar bios is probably the "ASIA" (a "6" too) but dated '95 and with the clock feature present on the last JapV3.

asia.png

While RAS (Room Amusement System) is used to identify the Deck too on flyers and the manual, the only detail which makes me wonder is that "Neo-Geo GIT Ver. 1.3" acronym, which is probably referred to the Deck lineup alone:

GIT.png

I'm quite sure the first production run (wooden) was slighty different not only on the chassis.
I suppose mine was actually one of the latest runs, as it have metal chassis and stickers promoting games like Garou Densetsu Special, so it could be interesting to dig on previously made units.

Well, I'm following the MAME update, documenting the Deck pcb with pictures and numeration details, and after everything is done proprerly I think we all can "enjoy" a new NeoGeo bios, saved from oblivion (^_^).

If you don't mind me asking where abouts did you score this unit? I've been looking for some time with no result.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
If you don't mind me asking where abouts did you score this unit? I've been looking for some time with no result.

A friend of mine *managed* an auction and then I picked up it when in Japan.
Now I can laugh at it, but it was a real pita to ship ...(^_^!)

In case pm me for details (ie about EMS fees= AKA "the phantom menace" :( )

Last edited:

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
A friend of mine *managed* an auction and then I picked up it when in Japan.
Now I can laugh at it, but it was a real pita to ship ...(^_^!)

In case pm me for details (ie about EMS fees= AKA "the phantom menace" :( )

Pimm'd

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Thanks a TON for the PCB/internal pictures. They are always interesting (to me anyways), but especially when it's something like this.

Honestly, I expected an MVS motherboard with a custom daughterboard, not an entirely different PCB design as seen here. Awesome stuff.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks a TON for the PCB/internal pictures. They are always interesting (to me anyways), but especially when it's something like this.

Honestly, I expected an MVS motherboard with a custom daughterboard, not an entirely different PCB design as seen here. Awesome stuff.

(^_^) You're welcome!

I expected a "recycled" MVS board too, but the fact it's an entirely dedicated board with no jamma connector, to me testify also the incredible effort SNK putted, especially during the early nineties, at the days of the "new world" project.

Haaaa... a time machine... my collection for a time machine. (DeLorean possibly of course) :cool:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Is nice to see how this unit is put together, thanks for the pics.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Thank you so much for sharing and spending time doing all this massimiliano !

Can the pictures and information be copied and hosted on the dev wiki ? All watermarks and credits would be kept, obviously.
I think some Licenses are now supported, so if you want to add some restrictions it should be possible to do so properly.

Edit: Just realized I read 2019 instead of 2009. Sorry :(

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thank you so much for sharing and spending time doing all this massimiliano !

Can the pictures and information be copied and hosted on the dev wiki ? All watermarks and credits would be kept, obviously.
I think some Licenses are now supported, so if you want to add some restrictions it should be possible to do so properly.

Hey, thanks, sure , please PM me so we can put things together, I don't see any problem!

Edit: Gosh, it's ten years already! o_O!