Manga Fans: What You Reading?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm glad I read through this. I've never read Vagabond and after seeing all the praise here I did a little research and it sounds like something I will love. I'm going to pick up a couple of volumes straight away.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'm glad I read through this. I've never read Vagabond and after seeing all the praise here I did a little research and it sounds like something I will love. I'm going to pick up a couple of volumes straight away.

you wont be disappointed, mate. if you like the lone wolf and cub movies or ninja scroll, then vagabond would be right up your alley. it's one of the best manga's i've ever read and one of the best depictions of a samurai i've ever seen.

you could also tell street fighter took a lot from the same source material in terms of ryu's and akuma's character.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Only thing I am reading currently is Berserk and One Punch Man. OPM is fun and always sucks me in when I miss a few issues and Berserk... Greatest....manga....ever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
berserk dude is gonna write berserk until he dies. moving at the pace of a glacier doesn't help win over anyone. i guess it's a nice surprise every couple years to check on how many chapters he's wrote but it doesn't really matter anymore.

i wonder what his dayjob is. or how much percentage he gets from sales of berserk.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
berserk dude is gonna write berserk until he dies. moving at the pace of a glacier doesn't help win over anyone. i guess it's a nice surprise every couple years to check on how many chapters he's wrote but it doesn't really matter anymore.

i wonder what his dayjob is. or how much percentage he gets from sales of berserk.

I know.... There is a fresh translated issue close to every 3 months or so.

I use Manga Browser on my phone it uploads pretty fast when a new issue comes out.

Also Attack on Titan, I have not read it but the anime is great. Terraformars is another good one with mans attempt at terraforming mars I believe.

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
The Akira 35th Anniversary box set arrived the other day.... it's very nicely done, worth the money. And so it begins, this epic should keep me going for a while. Great to finally read it unflipped, I only ever read the serialisation in Manga Mania back in the '90s before.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
The Akira 35th Anniversary box set arrived the other day.... it's very nicely done, worth the money. And so it begins, this epic should keep me going for a while. Great to finally read it unflipped, I only ever read the serialisation in Manga Mania back in the '90s before.

akira is also one of my favourite manga/comics ever due to the fact that the original dub of the movie is my favourite movie of all time.

the manga has its flaws but still epic. enjoy it mate.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
you wont be disappointed, mate. if you like the lone wolf and cub movies or ninja scroll, then vagabond would be right up your alley. it's one of the best manga's i've ever read and one of the best depictions of a samurai i've ever seen.

you could also tell street fighter took a lot from the same source material in terms of ryu's and akuma's character.

I can't wait. I love anything Samurai related and the Lonewolf movies and Ninja Scroll are favourites of mine.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
There's been the Manga/anime comic con at Barcelona and I bought those:

Afiche%2BDragon%2BBall.jpg

MMASN071_0.jpg

That's my current reading :-)

Edit:
Greedo, you might like to have a look at Mamoru Hosoda's mangas.
Summer Wars, Wolf Children and The Boy and the Beast are quite good. My fav is Wolf Children <3

Last edited:

BoogerBall

n00b
Nausicaa is definitely worth your time, it is excellent, with plenty of mature/adult themes running throughout it's course (war, environmentalism, greed, power, etc.). The amount of creativity and detail that went into the world of Nausicaa is on a truly epic scale and in my opinion is one of the better examples in the medium (hard to go wrong with Miyazaki). Akira is another manga you might enjoy and deserves it's status as a classic, great art, world, and characters. Domu, by the same creator as Akira, is also great, it is a much shorter read than the aforementioned two, but is highly enjoyable and it might help you figure out if you would enjoy Katsuhiro Otomo's longer work.

Speaking of Vagabond, I've had my eye on that one as well. Blade of the Immortal has also piqued my interest, as well as Lone Wolf and Cub. Just wondering which one of these three samurai manga would you guys recommend if you only were going to start one of them?

-SD-

Camel Slug
The only manga that ever kept my attention was battle angel alita. Really loved it years ago.

It's getting rereleased as three 'deluxe edition' hardcovers, first is out later this month.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Speaking of Vagabond, I've had my eye on that one as well. Blade of the Immortal has also piqued my interest, as well as Lone Wolf and Cub. Just wondering which one of these three samurai manga would you guys recommend if you only were going to start one of them?

if i were going to pick only one out of those three, then i would personally pick vagabond. although blade of the immortal is pretty sweet in its own right, i would say vagabond is the better manga.

lone wolf and cub probably has the better story out of the three, but the art work and samurai action is out dated in comparison to vagabond, and does read slow imo. which is acceptable considering it was written in the late 1960.

as far as recommendations go, i would say read the first volume of vagabond and lone wolf and cub then decide which one you like more.

i would say vagabond is the better samurai manga, but lone wolf and cub has the better over all story.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Nausicaa is definitely worth your time, it is excellent, with plenty of mature/adult themes running throughout it's course (war, environmentalism, greed, power, etc.). The amount of creativity and detail that went into the world of Nausicaa is on a truly epic scale and in my opinion is one of the better examples in the medium (hard to go wrong with Miyazaki). Akira is another manga you might enjoy and deserves it's status as a classic, great art, world, and characters. Domu, by the same creator as Akira, is also great, it is a much shorter read than the aforementioned two, but is highly enjoyable and it might help you figure out if you would enjoy Katsuhiro Otomo's longer work.

1.) Vagabond-it is without question the best of the three. It's focused, subtle and brilliant. No one, and I mean NO ONE (not even Kentaro Miura) is as good at telling personal tales of spiritual evolution as Takehiko Inoue.
2.) Blade of the Immortal (Mugen No Junin)-It's ALMOST as good as Vagabond, but it's not really quite as personal of a tale. At one point, its cast becomes pretty bloated and Manji and Rin sort of fade into the background and it was difficult for me to connect to the story at times. But I still consider this a top ten of all time.
3.) Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami)-If I have two problems with this manga, it's that the earlier assassin stories are all pretty played out simply by virtue of it feeling so familiar and that it takes a while for the true story to begin. Once you see what Itto Ogami intends to do with the wealth he's amassing, it becomes a story you can't put down. Also, it is the best finale of any comic book I've ever read. Do NOT read New Lone Wolf and Cub, because it's a wholly unnecessary adjunct.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

There was a time when I used to say that the artist must be allowed to craft their art at their own pace, but eventually the artist is obligated to finish is work or find someone that will finish it for him.

It's the same with George R.R. Martin and ASOIF. At some point, its fair to call out a creator for being too slow.

Kentaro Miura is a genius, there is no question. Berserk is my favorite thing ever. But at this point, he's been at this for nearly 30 years! And it's the same arc. Miura needs to fucking do the thing or get more assistants to help him do the thing. Otherwise, he's gonna die with one hand on the IdolMaster controller and the other hand on his cock and the publisher is going to have to give it to someone else to finish, because there is no way the fans will accept an unfinished story after all this time.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
The underlying themes are quite adult, even though the stories are set in a fantasy universe. This reminds me of someone I talked with on a Warhammer forum about John Blanche's art. His argument was that the aforementioned was a bad artist because "The anatomy was all off and shit"

Did you even read my original recommendations? You can't seriously give me an answer in which you tell me I remind you of someone who thinks John Blanche is a bad artist. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I can acknowledge this opinion is based purely on taste. Some of his work I like, some I don't, but I don't think there's anything I absolutely love.

In any event, it was my mistake to recommend gekiga to someone asking for adult work, and listing Ninja Scroll as an example. Judging by the replies, OP was looking for something light, entertaining, and borderline shonen after all. There's nothing wrong with that. At all. I simply overshot it, I guess.

Still, I can't help but comment on the "quite adult" themes you mention. This is how I see the situation we find ourselves in: Someone asks if there are any good western animated movies they should see. Ones aimed at adults, rather than children. I recommend "The Triplets of Belleville", while you recommend "The Lion King". While a compelling argument could be made about the adult themes in the latter, I'd say the former is more adult of the two.

You sound like a robot.

A sophisticated sex robot from the future, who has traveled to the past to change the fate of one lucky lady.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Giving this guy a bump. Since first posting this I have read through most of Berserk, the first 2 Vagabond Vizbig's, Wolfsmund Vol 1, among a few others.

So today I went to get my brother some manga for Christmas, which was a bad idea. All manga and Graphic Novels at Barnes & Noble are buy 2 get one free.

Picked up

Berserk #38
Berserk Official Guidebook (already thumbed through this and it seems really cool)
Gundam Origin Collection 1-3
Gundam Thunderbolt #1

Man, these Gundam Origin Manga are legit high quality. You just can't get this type of experience from reading a PDF. The Thunderbolt quality isn't too shabby as well.

Still so much manga I want to read.

Any new developments in the manga world since this was last posted in?

Already been a year... Time sure flies. I need to buckle down and finish Berserk, but I've kinda been taking it easy, and slowly enjoying it. I can't see ever enjoying a manga more than Berserk.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Still reading One Punch, My Hero Academia (Yusuke Murata is one of my favorite artists), and that's about it. The wait for Berserk is frustrating as it never lasts long enough to really tie you over to the next chapter/volume...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Still reading One Punch, My Hero Academia (Yusuke Murata is one of my favorite artists), and that's about it. The wait for Berserk is frustrating as it never lasts long enough to really tie you over to the next chapter/volume...

That's kinda why I have been taking it slow. I don't want it to end, and have to wait a year between issues.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Just got the 12th volume of Sailor Moon. The manga feels like it goes by quicker than the original anime, but I noticed Crystal seems to move things along quicker at least initially. I still want to read Short Stories I&II afterward.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I can not think of a single instance where this isn't true of a manga and its anime adaptation.

I'm noticing most of the anime I watch tend to be the original work. Martian Successor Nadesico, Tenchi Muyo!, FLCL, original Mobile Suit Gundam. But then again, I also haven't read too much manga since I had a sub to Shonen Jump, I think that went away some years back in North America.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Has anyone published Ushijima-kun in English yet? That's a very good comic. It's the story of a loan shark that's filled with truly awful people, and you get to watch as assorted idiots self destruct through debt.

Just a heads-up, but the comic was adapted into a couple live-action tv series and a couple live-action movies that tie into the tv series. Do NOT watch those; they're fucking terrible, although the lead actor is not bad. But they lighten the tone of the story considerably, turning it into a semi-comedy, which is not what Ushijima-kun is. The comic is often fucking bleak. But interesting.