Mark of the Wolves: AES or MVS?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
he's from italy, it's a cultural thing?

Yea, I was going to mention the Italian thing but didn't want to disrespect the cool older Italian members who actually love the Neo and have been buying Neo games since before shit blew up.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think there is space in this hobby for collecting, as long as it's still about playing the games in the end. There's nothing wrong with an Instagram post showing a collection or new acquisition, or a post to the Collections Gallery, for example. A collection takes time and effort to amass, especially if you're playing the games (rather than just blowing your money overnight on an instant collection) and it's natural to be proud of a sweet-ass collection.

There are definitely less practical things to collect. It's very important to keep perspective of when having a collection is actually making you happy rather just weighing you down.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
why should I not consider resell value when buying a game?

Because, most importantly, your ROI is going to be so bad compared to almost every other investment possible. Pretending you're going to be able to make more money selling your games is bad for you because of the opportunity cost of not putting money into stocks, mutual fund, IRA, or something like that. If you're worried about "investments" or "resell value" when buying something as volatile as videogames, you're missing some key money management skills.

It's also bad for others (i.e. this community which you're a part of) by keeping games from the people who want to play them. Who thinks of others in their community anymore though?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Because, most importantly, your ROI is going to be so bad compared to almost every other investment possible. Pretending you're going to be able to make more money selling your games is bad for you because of the opportunity cost of not putting money into stocks, mutual fund, IRA, or something like that. If you're worried about "investments" or "resell value" when buying something as volatile as videogames, you're missing some key money management skills.

It's also bad for others (i.e. this community which you're a part of) by keeping games from the people who want to play them. Who thinks of others in their community anymore though?
I don't think that's what this thread was about though. Depreciation is probably the bigger concern. "Investment" was probably just an unfortunate word choice.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This doesn't hold up

Only if you care about money more then the game.

Any other excuse is just people trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Edit: RAZO pretty much summed up the idea. Videogames still shouldn't be considered an investment. It's a hobby for playing and enjoying games & not worrying about what you can flip the shit for years later. When you buy games like that it comes off as you'd rather buy a game to not play it or barely play it, keep it on a shelf and think about how much more cash you get later on down the line.

Being a collector I have no issues with whatsoever but buying shit with the mindset of how much cash you'll get later for it is just a terrible train of thought.

P.S. Fuck companies like Limited Run games and that other fucktard company where people sell games sealed forever in plastic cases never again to be touched by human hands.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Now that we have the NeoSD, that argument no longer holds up. OP asked a question that was bound to set people off with a knee jerk negative reaction. But I'll bet everyone in this thread is guilty of some questionable hoarding, collecting or whatever, so enough with the false piety.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Now that we have the NeoSD, that argument no longer holds up. OP asked a question that was bound to set people off with a knee jerk negative reaction. But I'll bet everyone in this thread is guilty of some questionable hoarding, collecting or whatever, so enough with the false piety.

Perfectly said.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

Perfectly said.

Seeing the two people that show up first to make this argument surprises me not even a little.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Seeing the two people that show up first to make this argument surprises me not even a little.

641-08364023en_Masterfile.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

You.

I like you.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

That's true to an extent but not everyone is like that and you fucking know it.

Billy you're the last fucking person who needs to chime in on that shit. Mr Fucking off limits indeed.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
You gotta understand. I had no idea the "hobby" was like this until recently. The stuff I collect (Neo Geo, Arcade, and Dreamcast/Naomi) doesn't come up much in casual gaming circles. Its insane to me that people would pay 100+ plus for a re-release of SF2 that isn't guaranteed to work with a console when a complete copy of the original print in perfect condition is still between 60$ and 100$. Even the investment angle doesn't make much sense. It makes me want to stick my head back into the dirt and go back to playing Crazy Taxi all day.

Missed this post. Don't totally give up hope. As long as guys like you exist everything isn't totally fucked. The hobby has gotten buttfucked pretty hard over the years and eventually it'll reach a breaking point. I actually had a laugh when that guy on Nintendo Age forums pulled out a full case of sealed NES Stadium Events and watched as people literally screamed like little bitches knowing their precious investments just took a massive shit. lol

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Ahh I get it. So if it's more expensive and flipper friendly, buy it. If it's a cheaper version in a different format, don't buy it. You get the same experience from both but go with the one you could make more money off a few years from now. Makes Sense.

You really are the problem with this hobby. When I started buying Neo-Geo games both in Aes and Mvs format, my intentions were never to sell them and I said that multiple times here on this forum. Whether I paid $40 for a game or $800, it didn't matter. I purchased them because I enjoyed playing them and owning them. I also loved the way the Aes format was presented in a nifty case, cool looking cart with label, and manual.

I later on decided to sell the original carts once the NeoSd came out and I gave it a full year test run. Why was I going to own a bunch of games when It was much more convenient to just have one that could play all.

Your mindset is the reason the hobby has gone to shit. It's no longer about just a enjoying a cool game but how much money you could make for it when it comes time to sell.

You know what's cool about your post?

It's the *exact* opposite of what I wrote. Not even close. You read my post, especially the part of a gamer's priority (which includes, of course, his own finances and how much he's able/willing to spend on a game) and completely ignored it.

I'm baffled.

EDIT: just to explain it a bit further: you took the part where one should be conscious about the possibility of a game holding up value better and, for some reason which I swear to god I still completely ignore why, put that at the top of a gamer's priority.

LOL.

Alright, now I'm starting to enjoy this, let's see if I can make it any clearer.

When buying a game, being a gamer, you should consider, in order of priority:

1 - How much you like the game
2 - How much you think you're gonna actually play it
3 - How much it costs (ie: can I afford it)
[a billion other priorities]
92750827085 - The resell value

There, let's see what comes up now, I'm really interested to see what you guys manage to reply.

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Aes games and even MVS games are collectibles now, it’s just how it is, it doesn’t ruin the hobby as there are cheaper ways to play the games. In that sense things are much better now than they were 15 years ago if all you care about is “playing the game”

For the most part, the idea that someone has to have some special love for a certain game to qualify to buy a collectible version of it is just a different type of elitism

Last edited:

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Not to throw gas on the fire here, but it’s worth mentioning that the idea that “video games are never investments”, or “video games are horrible investments” is not true, especially if you’ve been around a long time. But if it makes people feel better, I would say that most people who have really benefited from the insane and unpredictable appreciation in the retro game market over the past 10 + 15 years bought the games for reasons other than speculation.

So, I guess at the end of the day imho the OPs question was a fair one lol

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
When buying a game, being a gamer, you should consider, in order of priority:

Basically, there's only one question that matters, it's how much joy one has from a game's purchase. How one defines joy is up to oneself. It may be playing, it may be collecting, it may be resell value speculation or having scooped it below market value. You own something you consider as beautiful for a short time, during this short and pointless life just to forget its absurdity. It's all cosmetics, but I mean... what else can we do on Sunday, right?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
The reasons beyond one's enjoyment of a game (but that could really be anything, really) can be anything.

I'd bandwagon though on the thought of someone enjoying a game just for making a profit out of it. That's wrong, but it's also part of the collecting business. I'm not one to judge what anyone should do with their own money, but I personally frown upon people using videogames *only* to make profit.

If you happen to really like a game which 5 years later turns out to sell for double the price, more power to you.

But then, again, look at the insane value some LEGO sets have achieved. That's sheer madness, good god.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Another factor to consider in terms of "games as investments" is liquidity. I'm confident anyone that's had to sell off portions of their collection in a hurry to cover a financial emergency will tell you that many games can't be sold quickly at the "fair market value".

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Another factor to consider in terms of "games as investments" is liquidity. I'm confident anyone that's had to sell off portions of their collection in a hurry to cover a financial emergency will tell you that many games can't be sold quickly at the "fair market value".

It's almost like treating a hobby like an investment portfolio is pretty stupid.....

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't think anyone collects purely based on value. You collect because you have an obsession with acquiring material goods, shelves of them if you must, but you do. We all have done this, some of us have gotten out and some have not.

That's the real issue, we shouldn't detest the monetary motivation for collecting when it's the motivation to acquire items that eventually as a whole outstrip practical use. Why become a museum? a low rent one at that?

Dr Docking

out of control fake account

When buying a game, being Italian, Spanish or French, you should consider, in order of priority:

1 - How your purchase will be viewed by the other autistic shelf queens online ie NGFL . Will you get enough likes and comments to reach climax?

2 - Can you flip this item for more than you purchased it for in a few months or years?

3 - Will this satisfy your OCD impulses or will you have to purchase even plastic to hoard up soon after? Obvious answer, question is rhetorical.

4 - How much it costs (ie: can you afford it? - no doesn't matter you can just sell some conversions or other fake trash to help fund it like stefano or barrow money from family members like Fukk2)

5 - Once all the pictures and collection updates are posted and the circle jerk is complete how much larger will your e-peen be?

6 - If purchasing a potentially fake homecart to try and cement your Big Tymer status online should you fly to America to complete the transaction at the airport or should you just sell all your neo games and buy a Tintin dog statue for 60,000 euros instead? If taking the airport option remember to pose for a picture so everyone can see what a little weasel you are.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd bandwagon though on the thought of someone enjoying a game just for making a profit out of it. That's wrong, [...] look at the insane value some LEGO sets have achieved. That's sheer madness, good god.

Wrong? C'mon, what comes next? That taking drugs is wrong? Or adultery? You want to moralize like my grandpa? He couldn't fool the pope, nor can you. The Bridge on the River Kwai defined sheer madness before you were born and *spoiler alert* it's us, my friend.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member

Yes, this is most likely the case. But, it's the defensiveness to try to come up with an excuse to justify his position. If he wants to buy a game in a particular format because he feels that, in some distant future, he might sell it and he'd prefer to make a profit than lose money...sure, go for it. It just seemed like he was trying to argue it from an almost moralistic position.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Surely buying MOTW on Xbox 360 or Xbox One is the best investment. It’s on a newer console so right now it’s cheap, but give it 30 years and it might be worth GAZILLIONS!