AES-style MVS replacement shells preview

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's a bit hard to tell the difference between a mask ROM and an EPROM, just from the soldering...

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's pretty easy to tell apart a hand done solder job versus the wave soldering they do at the factory. If it's a mask rom vs eprom argument, it doesn't really matter if it was originally like that. I have a couple carts like KOM2 that have factory soldered eproms on them. An eprom installed by snk doesn't make it any less original.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It's pretty easy to tell apart a hand done solder job versus the wave soldering they do at the factory. If it's a mask rom vs eprom argument, it doesn't really matter if it was originally like that. I have a couple carts like KOM2 that have factory soldered eproms on them. An eprom installed by snk doesn't make it any less original.

Exactly. EPROM doesn't mean boot. There are several official Neo Geo games that use them. 3 Count Bout and Zupapa don't have versions without them. Robo Army has a single EPROM on the bottom board as well. As long as it is original, EPROMs shouldn't be a concern.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have The Last Blade with a whole bunch of windowed eprom chips. But it's original according to the mvs scans.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
I'd be all over some of these, I generally buy pretty trashed carts with no kits so it'd be great to dress them up in these to go with my Omega CMVS.

Now I just need an alternative to shocks that arnt so fucking big ;).

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I'd be all over some of these, I generally buy pretty trashed carts with no kits so it'd be great to dress them up in these to go with my Omega CMVS.

Now I just need an alternative to shocks that arnt so fucking big ;).
Would the neominibox do it, or are you wanting something plastic like a compact shockbox?

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Would the neominibox do it, or are you wanting something plastic like a compact shockbox?

I was eyeing off the Neominis for awhile but never pulled the trigger due to them being cardboard. Long term I just prefer plastic clamshells for the added durability. A compact clamshell for MVS carts would be amazing, hell I'd even make up a properly sized art template and do inserts for every game if it'd help to get them done.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Great idea, good for the CMVS market. Black color and screws would be fine. I hope the price per shell will be reasonable. Lets see the proto.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
shadowkn, any updates with this project?

I have the mounting features put into the design. Time permitting, I'll have the prototype with sticker sometime in the new year, assuming the world doesn't end in a couple days.

Any requests on which game I put on the sticker?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Put Metal Slug 2 on the sticker / label! Also, really looking forward to seeing a prototype. I must ask though, what kind of plastic are you using? Hopefully sturdy quality? And what type of finish / surface on the shells? Smooth or textured?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Put Metal Slug 2 on the sticker / label! Also, really looking forward to seeing a prototype. I must ask though, what kind of plastic are you using? Hopefully sturdy quality? And what type of finish / surface on the shells? Smooth or textured?

The final product will be made out of ABS or something stronger. It'll be lightly textured on the non-label area. Not quite as much as the omega but not completely smooth.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I'm just hoping the plastic will be similar to AES / MVS cart shells and not that horribly crappy plastic you sometimes see on new electronics. The smooth plastic that never has the same color tone over the entire object. From the sounds of things though, these shells will be pretty good. I like how the label space is much bigger AND there's no seam. These new shells basically fix all the problems with the original AES shells.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
This is cool but I wish someone would just make some affordable MVS replacement shells, a shell just like the original ones. The NG:DEV.TEAM guys are getting them made, why can't we make these things available at a consumer level?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is cool but I wish someone would just make some affordable MVS replacement shells, a shell just like the original ones. The NG:DEV.TEAM guys are getting them made, why can't we make these things available at a consumer level?

Anyone can but it just depends on who wants to fork out $5k for the minimum order to keep the cost low at about $6-8 per.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Anyone can but it just depends on who wants to fork out $5k for the minimum order to keep the cost low at about $6-8 per.

I understand that, I just figured that by now someone would have invested the money into a project like that. Maybe the demand just isn't high enough.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I understand that, I just figured that by now someone would have invested the money into a project like that. Maybe the demand just isn't high enough.

We already did that years ago and it took a bit of time to get rid of everything. The remainder was sold to the Neo Store where the price shot through the roof.

I wouldn't mind another run of plain black shells though.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
We already did that years ago and it took a bit of time to get rid of everything. The remainder was sold to the Neo Store where the price shot through the roof.

I wouldn't mind another run of plain black shells though.

I guess I missed the boat on that, I should have become a member here years ago. I saw the ones in Neo store, I figured those were leftover NOS shells from SNK, they're definitely priced crazy high. I think the only way I would consider a replacement shell (AES style or MVS) would be if they were priced under $10, and even that is pushing it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd rock these as long as the footprint is the same size as a normal MVS cart and no bigger.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I'd also be interested in this :)

The plan is to start off with an AES but this may sway me toward a CMVS setup.. who knows... lets see em!!

medic_wheat

Kabuki Klasher
I'm pretty interested, the only other question would be getting re-productions of AES or maybe new MVS lable art to go on these new cases.

Humm if there is a kick starter in the near future count me in...