Gamestop's going to start a rental program

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Got some more information. Will correct a few things I initially thought

1. You can have the FREE membership and still be allowed to partake in the program

2. You can indeed check out any game at any value. Found this out after discussing it with the DM of the stores in my area

3. You do get to keep a game of your choice at the end of the program period and there is no cost other than the first $60

This new info does somewhat soften my stance on the program, but I am still not interested.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Obviously they see their demise is coming. We can only pray it's long and miserable, and they suffer a massive amount.

So basically now all their used games will be in even more shitty condition than they are now. Another reason never to buy used at Gamestop. Which kind of baffles me, since the small mom & pop game shop by my house has a professional resurfacing machine.

Game stop seriously pissed me off again.... last time I went there. Picked up a bunch of used 360 games, like $70.00 worth. Took my time looking for games with good cases, and manuals. Checked my bag after purchase and they slipped me a bunch of shitty 3rd party cases, some black, some cracked and broken, with huge chunks missing on the sides. Half of them didn't have the manuals anymore. Glad I checked before I walked away because I had to call them out on almost every single title.

Me: This game had a manual.
Store Clerk : You sure it had a manual.
Me: Yes, I'm 100% positive, and this game didn't have a shattered case.
Store Clerk: Reaches under counter and hand me the manual, and all the other shit they shaded me on.

Experience is similar every time I go. Canceled preorders, items switched out for shittier ones... I mean I was the very first in the store to pre-order majora's mask 3ds special edition and they fucked me.

I guess I'm ranting, sorry. They really piss me off though. If I go to the car dealership, and buy a clean used car, I don't want a fucked up version of that car with a different paint job. No other business does that. I don't know why GameStop thinks that shit is cool even in the slightest.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Got some more information. Will correct a few things I initially thought

1. You can have the FREE membership and still be allowed to partake in the program

2. You can indeed check out any game at any value. Found this out after discussing it with the DM of the stores in my area

3. You do get to keep a game of your choice at the end of the program period and there is no cost other than the first $60

This new info does somewhat soften my stance on the program, but I am still not interested.

If this is true, then it reverts my view back to what it was originally, and I'd be somewhat interested to try it. Ending with a high value game (and only paying $60 for the whole thing) is key.

Obviously they see their demise is coming. We can only pray it's long and miserable, and they suffer a massive amount.

So basically now all their used games will be in even more shitty condition than they are now. Another reason never to buy used at Gamestop. Which kind of baffles me, since the small mom & pop game shop by my house has a professional resurfacing machine.

Game stop seriously pissed me off again.... last time I went there. Picked up a bunch of used 360 games, like $70.00 worth. Took my time looking for games with good cases, and manuals. Checked my bag after purchase and they slipped me a bunch of shitty 3rd party cases, some black, some cracked and broken, with huge chunks missing on the sides. Half of them didn't have the manuals anymore. Glad I checked before I walked away because I had to call them out on almost every single title.

Me: This game had a manual.
Store Clerk : You sure it had a manual.
Me: Yes, I'm 100% positive, and this game didn't have a shattered case.
Store Clerk: Reaches under counter and hand me the manual, and all the other shit they shaded me on.

Experience is similar every time I go. Canceled preorders, items switched out for shittier ones... I mean I was the very first in the store to pre-order majora's mask 3ds special edition and they fucked me.

I guess I'm ranting, sorry. They really piss me off though. If I go to the car dealership, and buy a clean used car, I don't want a fucked up version of that car with a different paint job. No other business does that. I don't know why GameStop thinks that shit is cool even in the slightest.

Yep, always check your purchases before you leave. I don't care if you say "some games don't have manuals" when you switch out a case in front of me that I gave you, and it had a manual. Give me the manual.

Sometimes, Gamestop likes to bait and switch, but dem's the breaks, I'm afraid.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Never had that happen to me. Whenever I brought a case/box with a manual up to the checkout desk, that's always exactly what I got back. The only "switcheroo" thing I've ever had happen was getting a Greatest Hits disc instead of the original release version matching the box, but that isn't worth quibbling about to me unless there's actually a noteworthy difference between the GH version and the original, which there generally isn't.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
What?? I didn't know they swapped the cases when you buy a used game. WTF...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The cases on the wall are what they call "gutted copies." When you get in a used game that isn't displayed you remove the game, put on a price label, and put the disc in sleeve in the draw. After you've done this twice for a game, any other copy of the game that gets traded in gets put in the draws with the discs from the guts in A to Z order. You are not supposed to sell the cases off the wall until you have sold all the copies from the drawer.

If for some reason you have to shop at GameStop, don't waste your time picking nice boxes off the wall. Ask if they have a nice complete one in the drawer. If they don't and you do want the one from the wall, you could always just ask them. 9 customers out of 10 could care less about the condition of the box or if it has a manual. 10 out of 10 employees could care less about you getting a mint collectors piece, especially after that piss poor company has crushed your spirit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
November 18, 2004. Alien Hominid is released. Best Buy doesn't have it, so Gamestop is the second choice. Get the opened, big ass stickered copy of AH off the shelf. Go to the counter, ask for a sealed copy. Tell me it's the only one they have. Pay for it and the hatred for Gamestop is still there. Am deeply sad it's not gone out of business in the 13 years since then.

People in this thread think Gamestop is in its death throes. No, not at all. They still have a long way to go. If they can get away with selling opened versions of merchandise and still claim it's new, yeah, they can get away with it.

edit: death thralls or death throes? well whatever

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And also fuck them for not accepting sealed copies in trade.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
And also fuck them for not accepting sealed copies in trade.

How are they to know that you didn't go to another retailer and swipe it? Authorities are VERY quick to pull pawn licenses for stores that are found to be receiving stolen property. No one is saying that you stole it, but one bad apple always spoils the bunch.

And it's not a question of breaking the seal in the store and then trading it in. If it's on camera or witnessed by an employee, they still can't take it. That shit gets taken VERY seriously because you're potentially dealing with authorities, with which you have NO leeway in the eyes of the company.

You'd have an easier time trying to get a store credit with an exchange or pulling a fast one and getting retail price back by returning it than you would trying to trade a sealed copy of something in a Gamestop.

Trades are that company's lifeblood. If the pawn license gets pulled, the store pretty much ceases to function. In "high-theft" areas, stores may have to wait anywhere from 7-30 days to sell whatever trades they get in, in case the cops have to re-claim the property.

JoeAwesome

How are they to know that you didn't go to another retailer and swipe it? Authorities are VERY quick to pull pawn licenses for stores that are found to be receiving stolen property. No one is saying that you stole it, but one bad apple always spoils the bunch.

And it's not a question of breaking the seal in the store and then trading it in. If it's on camera or witnessed by an employee, they still can't take it. That shit gets taken VERY seriously because you're potentially dealing with authorities, with which you have NO leeway in the eyes of the company.

You'd have an easier time trying to get a store credit with an exchange or pulling a fast one and getting retail price back by returning it than you would trying to trade a sealed copy of something in a Gamestop.

Trades are that company's lifeblood. If the pawn license gets pulled, the store pretty much ceases to function. In "high-theft" areas, stores may have to wait anywhere from 7-30 days to sell whatever trades they get in, in case the cops have to re-claim the property.

Yep. Just verify the value, Norton, then open it up in the car. No big deal to do so.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I understand their reasoning. And it is fucking retarded.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Heres what surprises me. They refuse to buy Asia/English releases in trade. Then go on to bash Vita claiming it's a failure and the worst handheld ever.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The cases on the wall are what they call "gutted copies." When you get in a used game that isn't displayed you remove the game, put on a price label, and put the disc in sleeve in the draw. After you've done this twice for a game, any other copy of the game that gets traded in gets put in the draws with the discs from the guts in A to Z order. You are not supposed to sell the cases off the wall until you have sold all the copies from the drawer.

If for some reason you have to shop at GameStop, don't waste your time picking nice boxes off the wall. Ask if they have a nice complete one in the drawer. If they don't and you do want the one from the wall, you could always just ask them. 9 customers out of 10 could care less about the condition of the box or if it has a manual. 10 out of 10 employees could care less about you getting a mint collectors piece, especially after that piss poor company has crushed your spirit.

Wow, that was definitely not the case when I worked there. That's fucked up.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Wow, that was definitely not the case when I worked there. That's fucked up.

It used to be only one case before they merged with EB, whom displayed 2 of every used game. I worked for them from 1999 till 2011. I saw all the dumb ideas that they've had come and go. This program will be just like all the others. It will last a few months and then fade away.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

It used to be only one case before they merged with EB, whom displayed 2 of every used game. I worked for them from 1999 till 2011. I saw all the dumb ideas that they've had come and go. This program will be just like all the others. It will last a few months and then fade away.

I anticipate this being a one shot deal, and done by April, never mind June.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The video game industry already trained their consumer animals towards online exclusivity. If there ever was a consent in this business, then it's that there's no way back. Complete ceased to be haptic anymore. As Trump said: "the cloud is getting in the way of my ability to do my job" ...and that's what GameStop can write on their obituary.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The video game industry already trained their consumer animals towards online exclusivity. If there ever was a consent in this business, then it's that there's no way back. Complete ceased to be haptic anymore. As Trump said: "the cloud is getting in the way of my ability to do my job" ...and that's what GameStop can write on their obituary.

I still buy my console games on disc - but rarely from GameStop. If a game is brand new, just released, and I know I'm going to pay full price (i.e. once every few years) then I'll just grab it at GameStop. Otherwise, they essentially never have the best price, new or used.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So my friend that runs a GameStop says that they rolled this out yesterday and discontinued it by the end of the day. The email said that refunds would be issued to those who signed up and that they hoped to relaunch the program soon.

L
o
L

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

So my friend that runs a GameStop says that they rolled this out yesterday and discontinued it by the end of the day. The email said that refunds would be issued to those who signed up and that they hoped to relaunch the program soon.

L
o
L

:lolz: DOA.