Neo Geo X prices seem to already be going up

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The Lynx had hardware features like scaling and came out the same year as the Game Boy. It was pretty far from shit. Nintendo didn't have a portable that could handle stuff like Checkered Flag or Blue Lightning until the GBA in 2001.

Lynx was amazing - still holds up

MAYAman

n00b
I've owned AES from new. Sold it with 14 games. Was contemplating getting another but then this came out. I have it jailbroken with every NeoGeo game.

Also, all you need for exact controllers is to get broken Neo stick off Ebay and swap the sticks and cherry switches. Use the Neo stick shell as well because they are identical. The stick feels exactly like my AES, exactly.

Lastly, I pull it out and put it in my pocket and have Neo, Genesis, SNES, NES,GBA, Atari 2600 at work lunch break. Get home, pop back in and it feels just like an AES.

Sorry but 99% of the reviews are utter bullshit. Jailbreak this bitch, get the OMGSNK card and thank me later. Fucking thing is so underrated its stupid. Then purists trying to protect the value of their collections and millenials who weren't even fucking alive when NeoGeo came out and have never owned one bash the fucking thing. SMH.

Sorry, but the hate the thing receive's is out of proportion by miles and miles. It's a fantastic way for normal people to enjoy Neo Geo. Please take the elitist glasses off.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Normal people don't buy discontinued limited release flashback consoles and jailbreak them.

MAYAman

n00b
LOL as if paying hundreds of dollars per game was normal. Again you can keep up the elitist opinion but it doesn't change the fact that it's a great way for people who never got to experience the Neo to enjoy it. Jailbroken and with simple mod to the stick it's great.

I can take pics of the stick mod in case you're curious. It's super easy as the AES and X stick housings are identical.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You could just play the romz at home and get the same experience. Take a old psp on the go and again get the same experience if not better.

People here buy Neo Games and consoles for the same reason they buy other retro games and consoles. They want the real thing.

You don't even have to buy the games now. You could get a NeoSD flash cart or if you want to go real cheap, just buy a 161-1 and you get good selection of games and your playing on real hardware.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
LOL as if paying hundreds of dollars per game was normal. Again you can keep up the elitist opinion but it doesn't change the fact that it's a great way for people who never got to experience the Neo to enjoy it. Jailbroken and with simple mod to the stick it's great.

I can take pics of the stick mod in case you're curious. It's super easy as the AES and X stick housings are identical.

Although I agree with you that the neo geo x is indeed "good enough" for many who want to play some titles, you could make that same argument for most console ports of neo geo titles dating back to the genesis and snes era. The neo geo x can be a fun relatively low-cost option to play many neo geo games, but the device and it's execution is flawed. With respect to gameplay, try to beat World Heroes 2 Jet on a Neo Geo X and the battle against Zeus will reveal just how flawed the emulation on it really is. If monetary value is your sticking point, then the japanese ps2 compilations offer better gameplay accuracy and cost far less then the Neo Geo X did even at it's original msrp.

Even though many ports and emulation efforts can easily be deemed playable for most, it is unnecessary to judge others for how they choose to enjoy what they play or what they are willing to pay. Looking at your pejorative use of the term "millennials" and the fact that you've deemed anyone who does not agree with your viewpoint an "elitist", I'd say the real closed-minded one here is you.

MAYAman

n00b
I think the fixation with the NGX not being "official" is hilarious. It's 100% more official than my hacked PSP as it was endorsed by SNK. Secondly, I'm pretty sure a lot of the purists weren't even born when SNK released the Neo.

I'm a huge SNK fan, orifinal day one owner of an AES and don't have to convince myself of anything. With a couple of mods the NGX is the easiest and cheapest way to enjoy SNK games on official hardware.

The sticks are identical, but the NGX parts plastic is slightly thinner. You can get dead AES sticks for nothing, swap the mechanical parts and have an exact feel to the real deal.

You can undock the NGX and play on lunch break at work from several emulators. I'm pretty sure most people who shit on the system are typical millenials. Never actually owned the thing but have expert opinions.

I bought a two extra docks from Ebay along with 4 extra sticks. When I visit my nephews house and my brothers house all I have to do is bring the hand held and we have Neo Geo goodness.

You can keep up the elitist bulls hit but it's your loss. Trying to show you what this unfairly bashed system is great for.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
You could just play the romz at home and get the same experience. Take a old psp on the go and again get the same experience if not better.

People here buy Neo Games and consoles for the same reason they buy other retro games and consoles. They want the real thing.

You don't even have to buy the games now. You could get a NeoSD flash cart or if you want to go real cheap, just buy a 161-1 and you get good selection of games and your playing on real hardware.

Sup Razo. To play a bit of devil's advocate in this discussion, why do many members use sayings such as "but at least you're playing on real hardware" when it comes to the use of downloaded roms? The hardware itself is not the sole factor that dictates the accuracy of the game code; the gameplay is subject to the accuracy of the rom dump itself too. If the romset/rom dump being played is flawed, then it will be innacurate regardless of hardware used. Sound and graphic flaws present in inaccurate dumps of games would remain flawed regardless if mvs hardware or emulation software is used, no?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Your just angry you sold off your shit, lol. Trying to come with excuses for people to like this thing after we heard so many reviews on how much it sucks. Stop bringing up the stick mod too. You said it a bunch of times, no one here cares.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I think the fixation with the NGX not being "official" is hilarious. It's 100% more official than my hacked PSP as it was endorsed by SNK. Secondly, I'm pretty sure a lot of the purists weren't even born when SNK released the Neo.

I'm a huge SNK fan, orifinal day one owner of an AES and don't have to convince myself of anything. With a couple of mods the NGX is the easiest and cheapest way to enjoy SNK games on official hardware.

The sticks are identical, but the NGX parts plastic is slightly thinner. You can get dead AES sticks for nothing, swap the mechanical parts and have an exact feel to the real deal.

You can undock the NGX and play on lunch break at work from several emulators. I'm pretty sure most people who shit on the system are typical millenials. Never actually owned the thing but have expert opinions.

I bought a two extra docks from Ebay along with 4 extra sticks. When I visit my nephews house and my brothers house all I have to do is bring the hand held and we have Neo Geo goodness.

You can keep up the elitist bulls hit but it's your loss. Trying to show you what this unfairly bashed system is great for.

If you personally enjoy the neo geo x system, that's awesome. Why come here and comment on those who don't? The PS2 compilations, Wii Virtual Console releases, and the PS3 Neo Geo Station titles are just as fun and are more accurate than the neo geo x emulation yet you did not come here to discuss those cheaper alternatives. I enjoy the neo geo x too, but all of the alternatives that I listed above feature more accurate gameplay than the neo geo x and are legal options.

BTW SNK withdrew their support of the neo geo x unit so I wouldn't cite SNK's endorsment as a way to legitimize the hardware to anyone who isn't already a proponent of the NGX.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't hate on the NGX like most, but it really is subpar emulation that never got a decent update. A Raspberry Pi can do a much better job and the NGX sticks will work on them.

MAYAman

n00b
Your just angry you sold off your shit, lol. Trying to come with excuses for people to like this thing after we heard so many reviews on how much it sucks. Stop bringing up the stick mod too. You said it a bunch of times, no one here cares.

LOL, I can buy the entire AES library back if I really wanted to, but I don't. And the constant references to choices with money from folks spending hundreds and thousands on a single cart. Holy irony.

BlackaneseNinja, fair enough. I'm just trying to balance out the amazing amount of bullshit put out by people who don't even own the system. And to be honest, the tiny differences in the emulation are something that 99.99999% of anyone would ever notice. I stand by what I said. It still a valid choice to have tons of options with an AES library. Lots of versatility. And I have just as much right to comment on those who don't as those same people insulting me for having one. That goes both ways my friend.

As for the stick mod, maybe you don't care, but I'm sure that there are some that do. So just ignore it.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I don't hate on the NGX like most, but it really is subpar emulation that never got a decent update. A Raspberry Pi can do a much better job and the NGX sticks will work on them.

This 100%. I really wanted to see the Neo Geo X succeed and receive the full neo geo library. A few more updates via their rocket-cable solution could have made the unit something much nicer than it is. At present, the system is flawed and was simply unable to to fulfill it's full potential. Jailbreak solutions and rom use was able to sweeten the deal for some, but it's a shame that Tommo was not able to fix more of the emulation bugs, sound issues, flesh out the menu, and release the full game library.

MAYAman

n00b
This 100%. I really wanted to see the Neo Geo X succeed and receive the full neo geo library. A few more updates via their rocket-cable solution could have made the unit something much nicer than it is. At present, the system is flawed and was simply unable to to fulfill it's full potential. Jailbreak solutions and rom use was able to sweeten the deal for some, but it's a shame that Tommo was not able to fix more of the emulation bugs, sound issues, flesh out the menu, and release the full game library.

I'm messing around with a Raspberry now. Going to make it a SEGA emulator for my nephew.
Yeah Tommo fucked up, but its not nearly as bad as most make it. Thats my point. Its a little late now as the prices have begun to get to crazy levels for some reason. But the fact that its a portable and a home system is my main point. Its great just for that one reason. Its super flexible.

Tommo probably would have updated it had it sold better. It didn't sell because the unknowing masses decided to get into group think mode and literally destroy any chances of it ever succeeding. I see this alot with tons of products. I mention millenials a lot because they have this unhealthy fixation with failure. Top ten fails, top ten plane crashes, top ten beheading, top ten bullshit top ten lists. I mean, WTF? YouTube is littered with this garbage. Its as if they're predisposed to hoping things are shit so they can complain about it. Guess I'm just an old man shaking my fist at clouds.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm messing around with a Raspberry now. Going to make it a SEGA emulator for my nephew.
Yeah Tommo fucked up, but its not nearly as bad as most make it. Thats my point. Its a little late now as the prices have begun to get to crazy levels for some reason. But the fact that its a portable and a home system is my main point. Its great just for that one reason. Its super flexible.

Indeed. The flexibility of the unit is what I enjoy most about the NGX. Rock on my friend :buttrock:

EDIT: With all this talk of gameplay, what games do you find yourself playing on the NGX anyway? I own an mvs cab, aes, cd, cdz, ngpc, and hng64 and find myself playing the ngx simply for the older titles and coop with my son.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
LOL, I can buy the entire AES library back if I really wanted to, but I don't.

Here we go - another one trying to flex his e-dick.

And the constant references to choices with money from folks spending hundreds and thousands on a single cart. Holy irony.

Hey my dude, show me where I spent "hundreds and thousands on a single cart" cause I'm pretty sure I'm one of the more frugal members here.

Which brings me back to this:

LOL, I can buy the entire AES library back if I really wanted to, but I don't.

You sound like you got more money than sense. Especially if you're still trying to justify the NGX purchase.

But hey, homie, keep working on that stick mod. Sounds like you got yourself a helluva project there.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
first of all: holy fuck, I can't believe you guys are discussing this for the umpteenth time... damn you, 2006 noob.

second:
*80s highfive*
notice how Blackanese didn't quote your lame rant against "group think" and "millenials", you elitist fuck.
[just to get this out of the way: I'm not a millenial myself, nor do I buy carts for several hundreds]

//EDIT: kinda beaten to it by guiltygear...

Last edited:

MAYAman

n00b
Here we go - another one trying to flex his e-dick.

Hey my dude, show me where I spent "hundreds and thousands on a single cart" cause I'm pretty sure I'm one of the more frugal members here.

Which brings me back to this:

You sound like you got more money than sense. Especially if you're still trying to justify the NGX purchase.

But hey, homie, keep working on that stick mod. Sounds like you got yourself a helluva project there.

You see, here is the problem. You insinuate that someone is angry at selling their collection, then you yourself get angry when someone responds. That is called baiting. Are you trying to insinuate that I can't or that I'm trying to flex? What is E flexing? Is that a thing? I merely stated that I regret nothing and can at any point get the entire collection back if I wanted, which I can. I just spent 50k developing the most realistic driving simulator in the world for private use, so I can assure you, the AES library is not a hurdle. http://www.isrtv.com/motion-simulator/wil-mayaman-tosados-mind-blowing-porsche-motion-rig/

But why do that when I can save all the space. So if you don't want people responding to your obvious bait post, then don't post it and then get angry.

The stick project was just that, a little project. I saw some people were having issues with it and decided to update that thread with a solution. But again, being that so many SNK fans are raving lunatics, even this insults your purists sensibilities so much as to fling insults and get your panties in a bunch. Calm the fuck down.

As for my lame rant about group think, its not lame at all. I was in the video game industry in the 80s and 90s and we ran extensive demographic testing on what kids at the time wanted, why they wanted it. The correlation between peer pressure and group think is real. Its why you have instances like the Call of Duty video being disliked so much even though the majority of the people disliking never watched the entire video. They just snowballed like the rest of the lemmings.

Lastly, any point made about the "millenials" or "people who spend hundreds on a cart" aren't directly aimed at you genius. Its aimed at the people who will do backflips to assure that the value of their collections doesn't take a hit. They will downplay, destroy, talk shit about anything that does anything to hurt that perceived value.

And I'm the elitist fuck for embracing the so called shit NGX. Holy hell lol.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This guy boasting about his $50k project and calling people who buy Neo Games Elitist. Ohh please.

MAYAman

n00b
This guy boasting about his $50k project and calling people who buy Neo Games Elitist. Ohh please.

Guess you didn't read my post or you have problems with comprehension. Read again, its pretty plain why that was added. But you go on and twist it any way you want. Lots here are good at that.