CRT Fetish Thread

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
I have a question about a PVM 2950 QM I am about to buy. I looked a retrogamingcables and I would need a PVM BNC RGB to female European SCART converter, but does it need a sync cleaner as well? I also have no idea if my current RGB cables are wired for sync?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I believe the SONY monitors aint too picky about sync. Don't take my word for it but my BVM D20f1u had no problem with the sync on any of my consoles.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
picked up a 20l1 and a 14n6a for 50, the 20l1 doesnt have rgb which is strange i was under the assumption that all larger pvms had rgb.
doesnt matter because for 50 it was worth it for the 14 inch. i really have to get around to posting photos of my horde.

I was wondering about that 14 inch BVM. How does it compare to other RGB monitors when it comes to the NES and N64 rgb? I was under the impression that these smaller monitors worked better than the bigger monitors when it came to those systems.

ShiroHagen

n00b
I have a question about a PVM 2950 QM I am about to buy. I looked a retrogamingcables and I would need a PVM BNC RGB to female European SCART converter, but does it need a sync cleaner as well? I also have no idea if my current RGB cables are wired for sync?

I have a pvm 2950 qm and I could not get it to sync without a sync strike. I ended up buying the strike and a vga to 5bnc cable to use with it. I remember having to play via component before said leads arrived. Good but nowhere near as good as the Rgb goodness it deserves

juci

n00b
I was wondering about that 14 inch BVM. How does it compare to other RGB monitors when it comes to the NES and N64 rgb? I was under the impression that these smaller monitors worked better than the bigger monitors when it came to those systems.

the 14 is a pvm, n64 looks good on any size screen to me because there isnt many sprites mainly the hud and scanlines dont make much of a difference.

but for 16 and 8 bit systems it depends how big you like your scanlines, bigger scanlines on more detailed/bigger sprites looks amazing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
the 14 is a pvm, n64 looks good on any size screen to me because there isnt many sprites mainly the hud and scanlines dont make much of a difference.

but for 16 and 8 bit systems it depends how big you like your scanlines, bigger scanlines on more detailed/bigger sprites looks amazing.

aye the 800 line HR Trinitrons are fucking awesome for just this.

juci

n00b
11102982_10153289812228939_2349871485117993794_o.jpg
sony pvm 20L1 with composite input only
sony pvm d20l5a
amiga 1081 with rgb scart input
sony pvm 14n6a

the quest is never over

2050-Z

New Challenger
CRT dedication:

OS4WfqL.jpg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Then why are people always saying that the n64 rgb sucks?

I have an NEC XP 37 plus and a BVM-20d1fu and a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma with an XRGB mini and between all those devices I would say nothing comes close to that BVM. But both the NEC and XRGB mini seem pretty comparable to me in picture quality. But I just really prefer playing on that NEC over the frameister.

juci

n00b
Haha I love melee, I've been playing competitively for over a year now.

The 20l1 has svideo too, does anyone know how to enter the service menu? I have line a, line b, menu, up, down and enter there's no degauss..

N64s rgv does suck compared to 16 bit systems lots of games have a filter which looks terrible and the 3d and textures aren't very good lol. Still worth it though imo.

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
How much is a PVM-2030 with SCART adapter worth? How about a Mitsubishi Megaview XC-3730C? I am moving out of state soon, and I can't take either with me.

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
$100-$200 for each? I would understand that with the PVM, but the XC-3730C is much more rare, and it's a 37" RGB/VGA that cost me $400 when I bought it 4 years ago.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Not sure how popular these MegaViews are. I recently saw a XM29 on ebay go for over $900. I hate using ebay as a guide and the XM29 is probably not as rare as that Megaview but maybe it can give you an idea of what it might go for. I recently bought a NEC XP37 from a guy on Craigslist that was selling it for $100 but i had to pay a over $400 dollars for someone to come pick it up from the guys house, package and palletize the TV, and then have it freight shipped over to where I live.

In reality even though these TVs are rare and awesome, they are not really desired by the retro gaming community.They are really big and heavy, will require having a truck or van, and a extra friend or two. That is why I went with the conservative price tag. Plus the fact that you have to move means you need it out asap.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The XM29 may not be as rare to come across as the Megaview, but I would argue that it is likely the more desirable monitor. From what I've seen, not only is it a bit easier to work with when it comes to configuring it, it's also more easily accepting of different signals the the 3730c. I've has it since August or September and I've only just in the past month or two gotten it to "properly" display higher quality signals.

To put it a bit more plainly, RGBS and RGsB have been done properly; RGBHV is doable, but only thanks to a terribly thrown together HD15 to DB15 cable, which ends up causing quite a lot of interference in the picture. With the NEC, it would have been literally as simple as grabbing any standard VGA cable and going from there.

This is by no means the norm, but I managed to get mine for little more than a few sore backs and a very odd conversation in transporting it across the city.

My camera is rather shit for capturing video, but I think this came out decent enough. The Megaview is being fed RGB and the other two are composite:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Is it really that much of a pain to get different signals on those MegaViews? Wasn't that the point of these persentation display to be able to easily accept all kinds of signals? The only thing I had trouble with at first was the sync to play my old consoles but then my SyncStrike fixed all of that. And I was easily able to plug in my laptop and get 1280x1024 resolution and even played games really nice. Even older games like Command and Conquer and Starcraft looked pretty nice in their native resolutions of 640x480.

I do wonder which of these giant monitors have the better picture quality? The specs seem almost all the same all across the board.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Well, part of the reason it took so long is a lack of funds; Otherwise I could have likely gotten it working within a week or two fueled by pure money.
RGB2 does seemingly need a custom cable though, as all the adapters I found out there for going from HD15 to DB15 are wired up way outside of what is needed in this situation.

Picture quality? XM29 in all likelihood, if only for the fact that I haven't heard of it having an issue with discoloration like the 3730c's seem to be afflicted with. That and I figure the smaller size would provide a sharper image in comparison.

sam-k

n00b
Pic-04112015-002.jpg Just picked this up for $50 brand new the other day--
tumblr_nkuyq4j1Ok1qau0p5o1_500.jpg BVM 1900A preparing itself to be moved upstairs

I'll get some juicier pictures or footage when I get my gameroom reassembled

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Not sure how popular these MegaViews are. I recently saw a XM29 on ebay go for over $900. I hate using ebay as a guide and the XM29 is probably not as rare as that Megaview but maybe it can give you an idea of what it might go for. I recently bought a NEC XP37 from a guy on Craigslist that was selling it for $100 but i had to pay a over $400 dollars for someone to come pick it up from the guys house, package and palletize the TV, and then have it freight shipped over to where I live.

In reality even though these TVs are rare and awesome, they are not really desired by the retro gaming community.They are really big and heavy, will require having a truck or van, and a extra friend or two. That is why I went with the conservative price tag. Plus the fact that you have to move means you need it out asap.
Sometimes the larger ones (29"+) can go for a lot less than they're worth, as people are trying to offload them. They are worth getting for gaming, even though they're harder to handle. I would say a larger monitor (like 29", 32", 37") would be worth an interstate trip. Anything bigger than 29" starts getting hard for one person to move around.