Need help with an MV1C NeoGeo Board + Jamma SuperGun to LCD 1080P TV

hogcia

n00b
I am new here, I do collect retro systems and recently got into MVS NeoGeo. I purchased a MV1C Board and was hoping to connect this unit to my LCD 1080P TV.

I want to buy the Jamma SuperGun Board and a HDMI to SCART Converter in hopes I could make that connection.

Does anyone know if this setup will work? Ive included an image showing what I want to get.

Some of the parts:

1) CiBest HDMI to SCART Converter-Composite Video Stereo Audio Adapter for PAL/NTSC PS3 /STB/Xbox/Blue-Ray DVD Players/TV/PC

2) MV1C NeoGeo Board

3)Arcade Jamma Supergun RetroelectroniK

4)15 Amp Arcade Switching Power Supply 110 Watt, 110/220v

5)Scart Male to Male

6)standard HDMI Cable

https://image.ibb.co/gTr15b/Untitled_2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes, it should work fine. As long as that supergun has an RGB output with the correct resistors installed on the lines.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
You're going to have to get an adapter for the SCART cable to the Supergun, and unless the SCART to HDMI is an upscaler, your LCD could very likely have an issue accepting anything less than 480p through HDMI.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That's one of those upscalers that treats 240p like 480i.

hogcia

n00b
Thank you for all your good information, I am very passionate about NeoGeo MVS. The Jamma SupperGun does have RGB output, but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about RGB. Ive included a detailed pic of the board where it shows RGB out. Does anyone know if there is a better alternative to replace the HDMI to SCART Converter? I am also not sure what is an adapter for the SCART cable to the Supergun? arcade_supergun_RETROELECTRONIK_jeutel_jamma.jpg

JoeAwesome

Those pictures don't really show the connection, but I may have been wrong for saying you'll need an adapter to connect it to a SCART cable. I still believe using the SCART to HDMI can be an issue unless you use a device that can handle the low resolution, or upscale it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Well, that upscaler is the cheap one people get instead of a Framemeister. Obviously Framemeister is the Cadillac but you'll save a lot of money.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Those pictures don't really show the connection, but I may have been wrong for saying you'll need an adapter to connect it to a SCART cable. I still believe using the SCART to HDMI can be an issue unless you use a device that can handle the low resolution, or upscale it.

Yeah, he doesn't need anything else. The SCART cable plugs right into the supergun board. Also, I'd swap that arcade power supply out for a ATX2 one, since that's what's used by the supergun board. It's likely people just have power supplies from their old computers, and judging by that upscaler, he's on a budget.

Speaking of these upscalers, I have one. If you have a SCART input in your TV, it's a far better option, which isn't to say these upscalers are useless, but you'll notice the whites being a bit too bright and the image is on the sharp side, in this artificial sort of way. It wants to be crisp, but it almost looks like a Photoshop sharpen effect. Switching between 720 and 1080 doesn't help. In fact, these scalers have a bunch of resolution options, but yeah ... they're no competition for a Framemeister, which is really expensive.

JoeAwesome

If you have a SCART input in your TV, it's a far better option...

A US LCD with SCART input isn't likely.

Well, that upscaler is the cheap one people get instead of a Framemeister. Obviously Framemeister is the Cadillac but you'll save a lot of money.

Because this upscaler will likely be garbage for what he's looking to do. If the LCD even takes the signal with the SCART to HDMI converter, it'll be a dirty signal.

pva

Mega Shock!!
Speaking of these upscalers, I have one. If you have a SCART input in your TV, it's a far better option, which isn't to say these upscalers are useless, but you'll notice the whites being a bit too bright and the image is on the sharp side, in this artificial sort of way. It wants to be crisp, but it almost looks like a Photoshop sharpen effect. Switching between 720 and 1080 doesn't help. In fact, these scalers have a bunch of resolution options, but yeah ... they're no competition for a Framemeister, which is really expensive.

Pricewise, the OSSC might be an attractive middle-of-the-road option, provided it's compatible with the OP's TV and his MVS motherboard, plus he's willing to wait for the next batch to ship.

I know those are some pretty big ifs, but if you can get all the pieces to fall into place, the OSSC will blow the FM out of the water in terms of both PQ and lag (it has virtually none). I've been happier than a pig in muck with my AES, OSSC and Panny plasma once I got everything dialed in.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
A US LCD with SCART input isn't likely.

I missed that OP was from NY. Too bad SCART has been on its way out for years in Europe. I don't think you can get a modern TV with SCART input. It's such a good standard, though.

pva said:
Pricewise, the OSSC might be an attractive middle-of-the-road option, provided it's compatible with the OP's TV and his MVS motherboard

It looks like all of the MVS motherboards are compatible, though 1C and 1FZ need a setting adjustment. As for the OSCC, I'd give it more credit than "middle-of-the-road". It's an excellent product, for sure. Competitively priced, too. Too bad the demand keeps exceeding their supply.

pva

Mega Shock!!
As for the OSCC, I'd give it more credit than "middle-of-the-road". It's an excellent product, for sure. Competitively priced, too. Too bad the demand keeps exceeding their supply.

What I meant was that it's a middle-of-the-road option in terms of price, landing squarely between – to extend Neo Alec's metaphor – no-name clunkers off Amazon/eBay and top-of-the-line Cadillacs from Solaris Japan.

The FM is less finicky about the hardware it's paired with and supports S-Video, but on all other fronts, the OSSC will beat the pants off it. So you'll get no argument from me there.

Thankfully, the supply situation has been somewhat improved with the v1.6, as you now have to wait for mere months instead of half a year for one!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Get a different supergun, don't support that asshole who steals other people's designs.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Get a different supergun, don't support that asshole who steals other people's designs.

If OP is after SCART, Vogatek MK IV might be an option. It has a stereo switch and Neo Geo controller ports. There are other Vogatek models if you prefer screw terminals instead of controller ports, but when it comes to games using kick harnesses, screw terminals won't help you, as Vogateks don't integrate these inputs. And why should they.

hogcia

n00b
Guys thank you for all the input and support.

@Xian Xi, Sorry but I already ordered the Supergun by RetroelectroniK. I was aware that there were other similar options in the market, but RetroelectroniK's Supergun was the only board I could find that had all the inputs I needed. The RetroelectroniK team has been super helpful as well, they even gave me free scart cables with purchase.

In terms of the Framemeister and OSSC, they are way over my budget. I feel that if I go that route, I may as well buy a consolized MVS. I am sorry if I seem naive, I am just trying to stay under a budget of $300. I’ve already ordered most of the parts including the MV1C and only spent $250 so far.

The only extra parts I want to put money towards are the unibios and a new battery.

So reading some of your comments, I’ve decided to scrap the Scart to HDMI upscaler and go with a GBS8200 instead. I am also adding a scanline generator with a mini VGA to HD out. The GBS8200 should convert the scart signal to something the mini VGA to HD can output to my TV.

I’ve attached a drawing I did of this setup, never intended to share the drawing so it may be a little hard to understand. Thanks a mil guys
MV1C Diag.JPG

Last edited: