Washer and dryer recommendations? (<$1,500 all in)

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
So, we initiated the sale of our current house, and the purchase of a new house at the end of last year. Our current washer and dryer got thrown in as a deal sweetener on the sale of our current house, so we need to buy a new set. Problem is that the world is ending, and we can't just go look at appliances now.

As always, I come to ng for answers.

If anybody has had a stellar experience with a particular washer and dryer combo, or has any washer/dryer industry expertise, please let me know.

These should be available on Best Buy's website, as they're the only company delivering around here that I know of.

No Samsung or LG, because there's only one technician to service each of those brands for the whole state.

Would like to stay under $1,500 out the door. Thanks all.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't speak for combo's but I bought a Bosch condenser dryer 8 years ago and only had to replace the $40 drive belt in that time.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So, we initiated the sale of our current house, and the purchase of a new house at the end of last year. Our current washer and dryer got thrown in as a deal sweetener on the sale of our current house, so we need to buy a new set. Problem is that the world is ending, and we can't just go look at appliances now.

As always, I come to ng for answers.

If anybody has had a stellar experience with a particular washer and dryer combo, or has any washer/dryer industry expertise, please let me know.

These should be available on Best Buy's website, as they're the only company delivering around here that I know of.

No Samsung or LG, because there's only one technician to service each of those brands for the whole state.

Would like to stay under $1,500 out the door. Thanks all.

Ask yourself if the home buyers are buying your actual washer and dryer, or just want to make sure the house has a washer dryer. You can probably just put a $1400 samsung set there, and bring your existing old washer dryer set with you. Either way, I would go for LG, but you'll need to spend a few hundred more. It will be worth it. They're the best on the market. Pay extra for the Best Buy service plan and they'll have to replace the units when they can't repair them.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Buy the cheapest top loader (washer) you can find new at your local store. Don't buy a HE/belt driven front loader with a million settings/functions you will never use. $350-500 should do it.

For dryer, get a basic gas model and call it a day. Maybe $500-700.

If they break, they break. It is cheaper to just replace them than to try to fix them. Build in obsolescent sucks.

I bought both units (maytag? Whirlpool? No clue) for under $1k about 7 years ago and they are still going strong.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Buy the cheapest top loader (washer) you can find new at your local store. Don't buy a HE/belt driven front loader with a million settings/functions you will never use. $350-500 should do it.

For dryer, get a basic gas model and call it a day. Maybe $500-700.

If they break, they break. It is cheaper to just replace them than to try to fix them. Build in obsolescent sucks.

I bought both units (maytag? Whirlpool? No clue) for under $1k about 7 years ago and they are still going strong.

For clarification, front load dryers are prone to mildew, and the mildew can spread though the machine quickly, rendering it unusable as a cleaning device.

Marek

Banned
For clarification, front load dryers are prone to mildew, and the mildew can spread though the machine quickly, rendering it unusable as a cleaning device.

Yes but as long as you never actually close the door of a front loader when not in use, use a towel to dry the large gasket, and run a load with the special cleaning tablet at the recommended interval then its all good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yes but as long as you never actually close the door of a front loader when not in use, use a towel to dry the large gasket, and run a load with the special cleaning tablet at the recommended interval then its all good.

which is pretty much what I do. But as far as systems go, I prefer the top loader.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
ITT: Buncha faggots discussing washing machines... :keke:

I would personally avoid the bargain basement models. Get a mid-range top loader with stainless steel drum and no agitator plus whatever the matching dryer is. Whatever you get, spring for the longest extended warranty possible. If you need just one service call, it will more than pay for itself. Best Buy is my go-to store for appliances. Might be worth checking with Costco, Sam's Club, etc if you are a member.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have a stacked front loading washer and front loading dryer in my galley kitchen.

You want a top loader.

Trust me.

I did just replace my washer after my old one finally died after 10 years of shitty service.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My current place has GE unit's from the 80's that are still going. I just can't bring myself to replace them as they still work. They are not visually appealing, but who cares?
My previous place had a smaller front load Bosch that never had any issues for the 8 years I was there.

I would agree that a Top Loader is best. The caveat would be HE for water expenses.... Or front load if it makes more sense in your space.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
The less electronics to run fancy/worthless cycles & features the better. Less shit to crap out on ya (and it will).

And stay away from the no center agitator top loaders if you get a top loader. Last place I lived we got one to replace a top loader w/center agitator. Non-agitator model took over an hour and a half to run a load and didn't clean that well.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

I hate my front loader washer for this reason. In addition to being slower and clothes not getting as clean as my ancient whirlpool top loader that ran like a tank.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I just had my 20 year old Kenmore serviced on Monday.
The guy had it up and running in like 20 minutes.
He said, "How old is this thing? Dont get me wrong this think is a tank! I hope you can get another 10-15 years out of it. Avoid any of the new washer with digital anything, they suck and are expensive to repair."

Check out the Maytag Commercial Grade washer and dryer.
They include a 5 year parts and labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty.

They are top leader and have knobs instead of digital controls.
They have a water sensing feature, but also have a full load feature that waste more water compared to the HE models, but washes clothes much better than most HE washers.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Hey all, thank you for the input.

Poppy, I lived in Japan for a good min. Moved back to SLC in 2015 actually, just kinda lurked for a couple years there.

Sage, thanks homie, got married in 2014.

Edit: Current set is GE. We haven't actually lived in our current spot all that long (late summer 2018) and got the appliances then. Top loading washer with an agitator. My wife really hates the washer, so she is happy to be able to get another crack at this.

As far as brands go, we're kinda all over the place in this thread, aren't we? I'm eyeing a Whirlpool set and a Maytag set. Any strong opinions one way or the other on these?

Also, we're not really feelin' digital controls, did I get that part right? But if you get a warranty, shouldn't you be good to go?

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
which is pretty much what I do. But as far as systems go, I prefer the top loader.

Agreed. My old front loader was so quiet... I left it for the boys at my old house though. I couldn't just tale everything from them haha

Shackleford

Banned
1,500 bucks.....fuck that. The basic units without all the extra shit, like wifi, are better. Less stuff to fail and easier to repair.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I’d at least take a front loader into consideration, especially if you live in an area with expensive water rates and large household. You just need to take extra care in cleaning seals and not to overload the machine. I would also try and find a local appliance store that does their own repairs and buy the best warranty you can get.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Check out the Maytag Commercial Grade washer and dryer.
They include a 5 year parts and labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty.

They are top leader and have knobs instead of digital controls.
They have a water sensing feature, but also have a full load feature that waste more water compared to the HE models, but washes clothes much better than most HE washers.

This is word for word what my parents did.
They had HE front loaders that had nothing but problems. They bought commercial grade washer drier set and haven't looked back.

Marek

Banned
This is word for word what my parents did.
They had HE front loaders that had nothing but problems. They bought commercial grade washer drier set and haven't looked back.

He's a wash hero
The prodigal son returns
Laundry thread magnet

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I’d at least take a front loader into consideration, especially if you live in an area with expensive water rates and large household. You just need to take extra care in cleaning seals and not to overload the machine. I would also try and find a local appliance store that does their own repairs and buy the best warranty you can get.

H/E washers are bs. Clothes aren't clean and you have to do small loads. It is all a marketing scam to double/triple the price of these machines because it has an LCD screen and chrome bits.