The SegaDude's Neo Geo AES and Neo Geo Pocket Collection

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Instead of a HD crt, the best option for your consoles would be a CRT with Scart/RGB. Or a Sony PVM...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Nice collection! I really dig your approach to it. And yeah, the NGP(C) is awesome ;)

*My Nam-1975 does have the censorship marks.
You can remove the marks on the case and the cart easily afaik, never done it myself, but there are plenty of people here that did it with great success.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Nice collection! I really dig your approach to it. And yeah, the NGP(C) is awesome ;)

You can remove the marks on the case and the cart easily afaik, never done it myself, but there are plenty of people here that did it with great success.

Thanks! I like facing a few of the games to show them off instead of just seeing spines.

That's good to know about the censorship marks. I'd love to be able to remove the them. I use WD-40 to remove left over goo from stickers and it works great. I tried it on the NAM marker but it didn't do enough. What are people using to completely remove it? I'm surprised to it can be done on the cart label. But that's great news!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just look online and I found this locally : Sony Wega Trinitron 32" flat screen Model KV-32XBR200 for $50
I believe it's only 480i. Is that what most normal CRT's are? Could it be better than my Zenith 25"?
The screen size alone might be worth the $50. What do you think?

Well, personally I'd look for a Sony PVM/BVM, XM-2950 or other RGB monitor for gaming. As for the Sony TVs, you should probably hold out for a Hi Scan or Super Fine Pitch model.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That's good to know about the censorship marks. I'd love to be able to remove the them. I use WD-40 to remove left over goo from stickers and it works great. I tried it on the NAM marker but it didn't do enough. What are people using to completely remove it? I'm surprised to it can be done on the cart label. But that's great news!
Look here. I'd go with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and some cotton swabs, carefully of course. Hope it helps ;)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I've tried and failed to remove the censorship marks from at least 5 NAM cases. Isopropyl, Goo Gone, etc - nothing worked for me. All it seems to do is lighten the black marker. It's like the marker has sunk in and melded with the plastic. Never had a problem with the carts though.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Look here. I'd go with IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and some cotton swabs, carefully of course. Hope it helps ;)

Hmm, I did try with isopropyl alcohol (99% rubbing alcohol). It worked a little bit. Solid black became very slight transparent. I'll have to try harder. I'll try the cart label too.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Instead of a HD crt, the best option for your consoles would be a CRT with Scart/RGB. Or a Sony PVM...

I thought the only way you could get RGB on a CRT TV was with a Scart port. And I thought Scart was only in Europe. Has anyone in North America managed to get a TV with Scart?
I did look at those old professional monitors but I am not able to find any locally and it looks like the good ones still sell for a few hundred bucks.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
As nice the spread of titles are, you should treat yourself to a larger CRT TV. Maybe something in the 20 to 27 inch range?

OK HeavyMachineGun you have shamed me into getting a better CRT TV. Good work! I owe you one.

I've updated my OP. And here a direct link:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14728&d=1401416015

It's a SONY FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32XBR200.

I know it's not HD but it's still pretty nice. I looked into some of the recommendations posted here for higher model XBR's and professional monitors but since I wanted to get this done locally all I really had was craigslist and kijiji. And on them I could not find any of the really premium stuff. And I've read that HD CRT TVs and monitors often sell for around $200.

But I did find this 32" 175 lbs monster above and for $50 it felt like a pretty safe experiment. (although there is nothing safe about transporting this thing)

The visually quality does look better than my 25" Zenith and what surprised me is the sound quality is way better. I wasn't expecting that.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Really like the Genesis titles. You have a very nice game space. What is that art work on top of the TV? I had similar difficulty transporting my 32" Panasonic CRT when I bought it. :D

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Really like the Genesis titles. You have a very nice game space. What is that art work on top of the TV? I had similar difficulty transporting my 32" Panasonic CRT when I bought it. :D

Thanks! Ever since I got those real wood shelves they really helped make the display look a lot nicer. They're only pine but they look a lot better than press-board.

The artwork is something so crazy that I could not resist it. It's titled: No One Wants to Play Sega With Harrison Ford. By Brandon Bird.

http://www.brandonbird.com/sega_ford.html
ford_tropical_skittles.jpg

Mine is just a print that cost $8 plus shipping. But it cost me about $30 to mount it. When the Genesis was new Harrison Ford was in all my favorite movies. Namely; Star Wars and Indiana Jones. So to finding this bizarre smash-up just felt like a must have.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you want to get rid of attachments, go to edit post, then choose advanced editing. Scroll down all the way past your post, you should see your pics in a white box. Choose manage attachments and another window will open up. Check the box and then X in the top right corner of each picture. Spoiler has step by step, and no, not the one with Patrick Duffy

Spoiler:
edit.png
goadvanced.pngmanage.pngdelete.pngpatrick-duffy.jpg

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you want to get rid of attachments, go to edit post, then choose advanced editing. Scroll down all the way past your post, you should see your pics in a white box. Choose manage attachments and another window will open up. Check the box and then X in the top right corner of each picture. Spoiler has step by step, and no, not the one with Patrick Duffy

Thanks Kid Panda. I over looked the the 'x' on the thumbnail in Manage Attachments. I was able to clean up my OP.
Great detail! I appreciate the help!

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
nice score on the CRT!

Yeah I thought for $50 it was pretty safe to try it out. I ended up with a larger screen, better visual, better sound and a friend who's not so willing to help out any more. All in; not bad.

brettybluevein

New Challenger
So I started collecting for the Neo Geo a few months after getting a Neo Geo X.

I know there are a lot of Die Hards that love slamming the Neo Geo X but it's what got me into both my Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo AES collection.

I usually use the Neo Geo X as a hand held and after playing and loving Mutation Nation and Last Resort I decided I wanted the real thing. I knew I could not afford many of the awesome games that I'd love to have but I'm happy to have some.

Never could have this system as a kid so if feels great to finally step in!

View attachment 14457

Below is my whole retro video game collection:

View attachment 14495

I've got details about my Neo Geo AES games here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tOoy3erhlMNxGUvV1AFae-8Uqs/edit#gid=521181295

Edit: I went out and got a new CRT TV. SONY KV-32XBR200 for $50

View attachment 14727

I know it's not a full HD CRT TV but for the price I feel like it was a worth while upgrade.

View attachment 14728

And here are close-ups of the rest of the collection:

View attachment 14533

View attachment 14534

View attachment 14535

View attachment 14536

View attachment 14537

View attachment 14538

View attachment 14539

View attachment 14540

View attachment 14541

Does anyone know how to remove attached Images? I want to get rid of the two below:

Wow man, your collection is beautiful! I love those bookcases, they are a great size!

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Wow man, your collection is beautiful! I love those bookcases, they are a great size!

Thanks!
I use to think the shelves were a great size too... but now they're starting to fill up! :D
The book cases are from Ikea. I think they now cost $175 each. It's a lot more money than cheap press-board shelves but I think it's worth it.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Very nice collection TSDude :)

Thanks! I have 6 more Neo Geo AES games in the mail :)
And I just added 16 more Master System games to the collection as well; 12 of them came from trading.
I suppose I should be checking the bank account...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
As others have said already, nice SEGA collection dude.

Out of interest, what's your collecting ethic?