Sega Saturn questions

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Someone just got me a saturn, can i play different region games or back ups? Never had one, would like to buy some games, i see some import games are a bit cheaper...

any help appreciated...

scooby105

Kula's Candy
You'll need a modchip for backups and an import cartridge or region mod for imports. You could do a swap trick, but that won't be in the best interest of your system.

The Phantom Universal modchip is the one to get for backups.

For discs from different regions, most people either modify their system or get the 4-in-1 cartridge from EMS.

If you put a modchip in your system, you could region patch the games when you burn them instead of adding a region mod or the 4-in-1 cartridge.

The Saturn is a nice system. Enjoy.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Someone just got me a saturn, can i play different region games or back ups? Never had one, would like to buy some games, i see some import games are a bit cheaper...

any help appreciated...
The Action Replay 4M should probably be your first purchase. It gives you region free gaming, some save space, a cheat menu, and 1M/4M expansion RAM for the titles that support it.

For playing backups, you can either flash the AR4 with Pseudo Saturn (losing the AR4's save-space and cheat menu, but gaining backup loading) or install a mod-chip like the Phantom Universal. There is only a single wire to solder. I prefer to install chips in my Saturns, but I hook friends up with Pseudo Saturn flashed AR4s.

The Rhea is an SD card loader option for Saturn, but they're rarely stocked and sell out quick when batches come up for sale.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Imports are generally the way to go on most games, especially since they use normal jewel cases.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Imports are generally the way to go on most games, especially since they use normal jewel cases.

Depends on the game. Obviously games where you don't care about story you can grab the japanese versions. But Panzer Dragoon is worth getting in english. And while Panzer Dragoon Saga is pricey, you can always sell it and at least break even. A huge reason for playing all four games is the atmosphere and story.

Guardian Heroes is not worth the asking price, same with Radiant Silvergun, just get a 360 and play those two on XBLA.

Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2 are both cheap and fun.

I've never been a huge street fighter fan, but everyone I know that is, swears by the Saturn versions.

Shining Force 3 is fun, but I'd just play that in emulation so you can get the english patches to the other two scenarios, and actually have the save come over properly.

Magic Knight Rayearth is not worth the price, its an OK adventure, but... not worth more than $30.

FWIW: Langrisser IV for Saturn is considered the best in the series, but... you might want to check el sallia to see if they have the translated script for it. (They translated the Playstation version)

Last edited:

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Just want to put in a +1 for the Pseudo Saturn flashed onto a cart. I had that for two different carts and it worked fantastic. If you can find a cart and flash it, you won't regret it.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm currently waiting on a Saturn as well. I prefer the Phantom modchip over the Pseudo Saturn flash since you keep your cartridge slot available. The Saturn is the King of Shmups and has a great library of games that never made it to the States. Just like other retro console games, Saturn games have skyrocketed in price, so there's a great "try before you buy" option if your console is modded. Get a SCART cable too while you're at it.

Try to keep disc swapping to a minimum since that's a sure way to fry your CD drive motor eventually.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Where can i get the phantom and mem card to start? And thanks for th me help with games. I was a dynamite dekka fan so I'm starting with die hard arcade ntsc and after that I ss three dirty dwarves. But yeah id like to be region free as well

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Yea my bad wasn't thinking, found someone local who does it.. Thanks

madman

Oh and be sure to pick up an s-video cable or SCART cable if you've got an xrgb.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
And if you don't have an XRGB, the Saturn is a great reason to get one. It looks incredible running through the XRGB.

madman

And if you don't have an XRGB, the Saturn is a great reason to get one. It looks incredible running through the XRGB.

+1, I think it was the first system I used on my xrgb w/the scanlines and I was really blown away playing Outrun from the Arcade Classics (or whatever it's called) CD.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I have a xrgb, about to order the cable online... Looking forward to it. thanks

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Do the white Japanese Saturn controllers work on an ntsc machine? I need a second and they seem a bit cheaper price wise..

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I have a grey japanese controller and it work fine on my US console.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
If you're going to mod it for playing backups, you should consider getting a Rhea and save yourself from burning CD's. It replaces the optical drive with an SD reader so you can boot games off a SD card. It's more reliable, region free, is slightly faster at loading.
Currently supports CDI, CCD+IMG+SUB, MDS+MDF, and ISO images.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Do the white Japanese Saturn controllers work on an ntsc machine? I need a second and they seem a bit cheaper price wise..

I have a grey japanese controller and it work fine on my US console.

I also have a grey controller on my US unit and it works fine as well. I believe all the pads are compatible between consoles.

ifkz

n00b
I am also a happy Saturn owner and I have been actively collecting for it. After reading this thread and the options available for a lot of older consoles (flash carts and things like that), is it out of fashion to collect the original games for most retro systems now? Is a stack of original games seen as hoarding now, or is it expense, or space concerns that are driving these trends? I honestly want to know.

Just last night I found a complete very nice copy of Bug! at a Half Priced Books that generally has nothing older than the PS1 (though the PS1 and Saturn were out at the same time, but very unusual all the same). I was very surprised and happy since the game seems to be hard to find in 2015. The case even had intact non cracked hinges. In the last month I added a Saturn Mission Stick and a 4M Cart too.

I also saved my long dead copy of Burning Rangers through a multitude of different resurfacing techniques.

Even if you just stick to the US library there are a lot of good titles. There are some really obscure titles that I recently purchased that no one ever talks about: Crime Wave, Norse by Norsewest (the sequel to the 16-bit Lost Vikings), and Worms (the first one on consoles?).

I have heard through local shop owners that Saturn pads are really difficult to find, so stock up while they are available?

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anybody ever play Warcraft II on the Saturn? I was flipping through an 18 year old EGM and I saw that Warcraft 2 was highly reviewed.

I liked playing that game on the PC and have had my Saturn since Xmas 1996... So would it be worth picking up\? Couldn't be too expensive...

madman

Anybody ever play Warcraft II on the Saturn? I was flipping through an 18 year old EGM and I saw that Warcraft 2 was highly reviewed.

I liked playing that game on the PC and have had my Saturn since Xmas 1996... So would it be worth picking up\? Couldn't be too expensive...

Haven't played that game, but IMO games such as that don't translate to consoles very well due to a lack of a mouse.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
There is a mouse accessory for the Saturn if the game supports it. Looks like the Japanese version is about $20 on ebay.

Actually, that might be a good way to play light-gun games on HDTVs if they work with the mouse.