Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
2018 is going to be amazing! This announcement was a dream come true and I am ultra pumped for what else TerraOnion has in the works. I'm just hoping at least one arcade product makes it in there. No matter what I'm sure they'll knock it out of the park :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My top pick for New Product is a Cps1 multi that wouldn't require a A board but if it did, so be it. Beggars can't be choosers.

Another CPS2 multi option all in one that doesn't require a A board would be cool as well. Just something all in one.

We mentioned a Sega CD device that would run Sega Cd's without the need for a Sega CD unit. That would be cool.

A plug in device that runs Sega Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast games. If possible, that would be neat.

These are probably the only things I would be interested in but the Cps1 multi would be king in my book.

Whatever TerraOnion releases, I'm sure it will be great.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'm curious about what's next.

It's clear that the console market is waaaaay more profitable than the arcade one. Still, there are many key products missing in the arcade world which would be awesome to have.

My hopes is that Terraonion will release a console product to make good profit and then invest in an arcade one.

CPS1 would be my main choice as of now, way too many good games on that platform.

Of course, a CPS1/CPS2 all-in-one multi cart would be absolutely bonkers and would probably outsell even the NeoSD giving how many iconic titles those platforms have (including CPS1.5 since it's a stepping in between CPS1 and 2).

About consoles... yesterday I was looking at the PSIO project and it got me really excited, except that I discovered that, for some reason, the XA streams get resampled in the process which ends up yielding not accurate audio.
I'd really love to see a Playstation 1 multi done right, the Terraonion way.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Yeah, a drive replacement, or even something that plugs into the I/O port for PS from these guys would be an instant buy. I've got, like, five or six PlayStations, and would happily turn one into rom machine.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
The next logical device is for the PC-FX...right?

Who's with me?

*crickets*

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
NeoSD's first two products were in untapped markets so a Mega CD device makes sense.

PS, DC and Saturn drive replacements have alternatives so it's less attractive on the business side.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm curious about what's next.

It's clear that the console market is waaaaay more profitable than the arcade one. Still, there are many key products missing in the arcade world which would be awesome to have.

My hopes is that Terraonion will release a console product to make good profit and then invest in an arcade one.

CPS1 would be my main choice as of now, way too many good games on that platform.

Of course, a CPS1/CPS2 all-in-one multi cart would be absolutely bonkers and would probably outsell even the NeoSD giving how many iconic titles those platforms have (including CPS1.5 since it's a stepping in between CPS1 and 2).

About consoles... yesterday I was looking at the PSIO project and it got me really excited, except that I discovered that, for some reason, the XA streams get resampled in the process which ends up yielding not accurate audio.
I'd really love to see a Playstation 1 multi done right, the Terraonion way.

From what I understand, CPS1 games won't run properly on a CPS2 due to some hardware missing.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
From what I understand, CPS1 games won't run properly on a CPS2 due to some hardware missing.

I asked Raz about it... he suggests it's possible but difficult...

But the real question.... is it profitable enough to consider?

xROTx

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I admit I'm the least informed on this, so I can only speak from an arcade fan/enthusiast prospective.

Neo Geo might have one of the most memorable library of games of all time.
Just think of Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, Puzzle Bobble and King of Fighters. The latter even have new installments on current hardware architectures (PC, PS4) while the others have truckloads of remake, due to their sheer quality, replay value and, last but not least, nostalgia factor. They have a place in pop culture, I think everyone who ever set their foot in an arcade knows what Metal Slug is.
So I'm not that amazed at how big the community is and the request it had for a flash cart (which we now have, thanks to NeoSD).

On the other side, we have Capcom, which is a giant still today with IPs like Street Fighter still going strong and has its roots in the arcade hardware back in the late 80s and early 90s onwards.
If you ask anyone about Street Fighter, you have a very high chance he knows what it's about.
Not just that, take a look at the game catalog on CPS1, 1.5 and 2:

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=793 (CPS1)
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=794 (CPS1.5)
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=795 (CPS2)

1941 series
Final Fight
Ghouls'n'Ghosts
Street Fighter series (plus all the various crossovers and marvel fighters)
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
The Punisher

These, just to name a few of the most iconic games ever made.

IMHO, a CPS1+1.5+2 multicart would sell really well, without mentioning the possibility of an FPGA based motherboard with modern outputs like HDMI (or, to avoid royalties, DVI, you can buy a cheap DVI-HDMI adapter on amazon for a few bucks) which would enable literally EVERYONE to play those classic on their modern sets, which means it would sell like hot cakes even to those who never gave a shit about arcade hardware, just to play the classics on their TV sets without any fuss.
This, in my opinion, would be a highly marketable (and desirable) product, aimed to both arcade enthusiasts and the average joe who wants to play those old games without the mess that is MAME and emulators.

EDIT: just to make it clear... I'm not asking for a CPS2 multicart which is able to play CPS1 games.
I'm saying... just make a single multicart with the connectors to use it on either a CPS1 or CPS2 motherboard, so that you don't have to buy separate multis. You put the multi on a CPS1, you play CPS1 games. You put it on a CPS2, you play CPS2 (maybe CPS1.5?) games, instead of making two separate carts.

Last edited:

darkndnet

n00b
Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast, I think that would be great that would have a good (and serious) seller with this...they are needed, and seeing the quality of Terraoinion they would be awesome!

beecee

n00b
Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast, I think that would be great that would have a good (and serious) seller with this...they are needed, and seeing the quality of Terraoinion they would be awesome!

The DC has the GDemu drive replacement unit and IDE mods, Saturn has the RHEA and PHOEBE drive replacement system.

I had the IDE modded DC and it was perfect, run the games flawlessly.

I am waiting on my PSIO being delivered, and that seems to be pretty good, and is getting updated firmware to get better compatibility and features.

The SEGA CD one will be great, but would need to have extra hardware as the Sega CD added extra processors for sprite scaling etc.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
It is true that Saturn has the RHEA and PHOEBE drive replacement system. But they are impossible to get, and the better solution, IMO, is to use the Saturn’s mpeg slot. 99.9% of people who own a Saturn are not using this slot for anything, and you would still be able to use the cd drive if you wanted to.

I know that someone else (dr abrasive) is already working on this, but there was also someone else working on a Neo Geo flash cart. And that didn’t stop NEOSD from coming out with a kick-ass product.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
^ This.

I really respect NeoSD way of doing things.

They don't just put a product out, they do extensive research because stuff has to work the proper way. This means no shortcuts or hacks, shit has to work the same way it works on original hardware.

I really, really like this approach and hope they'll come up with many more devices, even if some of those already exist.

I'll gladly take a DC/Sat/PSX flashcart.

darkndnet

n00b
The DC has the GDemu drive replacement unit and IDE mods, Saturn has the RHEA and PHOEBE drive replacement system.

I had the IDE modded DC and it was perfect, run the games flawlessly.

I am waiting on my PSIO being delivered, and that seems to be pretty good, and is getting updated firmware to get better compatibility and features.

The SEGA CD one will be great, but would need to have extra hardware as the Sega CD added extra processors for sprite scaling etc.

I tried to buy GDemu for Dreamcast and RHEA/PHOEBE for Saturn with no luck (always with no stock), I think that with more "competitors" the consumers we will would win, more stock maybe...

I agree with SEGA CD, will be great...in general all CD emulators all welcome

Last edited:

mistahsnart

New Challenger
A lot of votes for the Sega CD. I'd love to see it too, but there's a lot more going on with it than just being an ODE. You've got a whole other 68000, a separate sound chip, etc... Not saying Terraonion isn't up to the challenge if they wanted to, just that it's more than a "standard" ODE. But hey: NeoGeo flash carts were 'impossible' at one point too. :smirk:

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Although, let's say you had a FPGA implementation of a 68000. All kind of interesting doors might open.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Although, let's say you had a FPGA implementation of a 68000. All kind of interesting doors might open.
Absolutely. Been done by more than a few people. There are even a couple of open source ones out there.

Like I said: not impossible by any stretch, just that people shouldn't group it in with the generic ODE concept.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I should've clarified: the TerraOnion team strike me as a do it themselves kind of shop. They've accumulated some great tech after their first two products, which have already opened all kinds of interesting possibilities. Having a 68000 would add even more. I agree with you, the Sega CD isn't one to underestimate, there's a lot of hardware inside that device. Much more complex than the PCE CD setup.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
While a Sega CD ODE would be a neat concept, are there really enough games on that platform to justify the expense necessary to develop it?

mistahsnart

New Challenger
IMO, the Working Designs published games alone make it worth it. That's not even getting into stuff like Snatcher, Earthworm Jim SE, or the shmup library.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
While a Sega CD ODE would be a neat concept, are there really enough games on that platform to justify the expense necessary to develop it?

I just looked at a list and there's over 80 I'd be interested in. So you may be right. (Not sarcasm, if there were 100+ different story )

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
The Sega CD has a bad rep because of the FMV games, but it actually has solid, unique games covering almost every 16 bit genre. Yes, some of them are Genesis ports, but the ports are "definitive" versions with more animation, more levels, animated cut scenes and CD audio. All of these Sega CD games are worthwhile:

JRPG
Lunar The Silver Star
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Vay

Strategy
Shining Force CD
Dark Wizard

Platform Action
Sonic CD
Popful Mail
Earthworm Jim
Out of this World 1 & 2