Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
This is the best time to be a PC gamer, even in emulation, so many great controllers to have for cheaps! It really depends on what you like though, there are Saturn USB pads, SNES USB pads, Logitech Precision Pad is an oldie but a goodie, the PDP microswitch fighting pads are really good, even the SFIV pads are great, the Evo Tourney for SFIIHDR was won by a Zangief player with a Madcatz SFIV pad, so there's no excuse for not thinking of that pad as decent, lol.

Sticks, so many, so many levels, peripherals galore man, good luck with the hunt!

Edit: ATM there are Mortal Kombat Xboner pads that work on PC and can be had at any given gamestop for cheap money prolly 'cause no one buys them, I haven't tried them yet but they look decent.
048-009-PDP-MKX-Fight-Pad-for-XBOne-and-XB360-front__1424297974_74.111.183.70.jpg

These pads were already done much better.

h9e7Y.jpg

They're awesome for shooters.

EDIT: They're also plug-and-play on the PC.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I mentioned them in there as well, just the 360 version but pics are better. Keep in mind you're not gonna find those in retail, maybe a mom & pop shop or egay but they're long gone from the mainstream.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Yeah i hear you guy's, i should have jumped onto the pc emulating scene a long time ago.
I'll get me a decent pad next and i'll be good to go, thank's for the feedback and recommendations fella's.

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Tried out Gunhed on the Engine. Not as deep as Zanac, but what a great game nevertheless. The coolest feature is the earning/stockpiling of instant respawns through flashing orbs. Turns the last stage into a breeze.

Still got to check the secret 8-way weapon, though I prefer to choose the shield supplement with weapon II anyway. You can safely use this setup for the whole game with the exception of the bubble stage, where a change to III becomes a necessity. Those bubbles just take too many hits.

When I'm lazy, I love to pickup the Field Thunder and the Full Fire powerup (recycled in Super Aleste).
Turns the game in to a relaxing experience like the pink beam in Raiden II...

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This image made the front page of Imgur today. Is that Raiden Fighters 2 in the back?

Jo3t5VQ.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
When I'm lazy, I love to pickup the Field Thunder and the Full Fire powerup (recycled in Super Aleste).
Turns the game in to a relaxing experience like the pink beam in Raiden II...

Relaxing, eh? Try the God of the Game mode then ;).

Difficulty Select - At the title or intro screens, hold Select then press (Bomb, Shoot) 10 times. This takes you to a screen where you can choose between "Hard Human" and the default "Normal Dog". Repeat the code once more to add "Super Mania" to the possible selections. Then, do the code still once more to unlock "God of the Game". Once you have your preferred difficulty selected, perform a soft reset to exit this screen. (Source)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I got the 1-ALL in Sengoku Blade.

This took a good deal of practice, but overall, the process was a joy.

sengokublade.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
^Noice!

I have zero Psykio 1CCs under my belt.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
^Noice!

I have zero Psykio 1CCs under my belt.

Cosigned. Got to try Sengoku Blade though -- it's a Hori and that's where I'm at. No luck with any Toaplan Vert, but I cleared Hellfire on one credit because of its sexy horizontal... position.

GreyFox

n00b
Every so often I find myself drawn back to playing Gley Lancer on Sega Megadrive. Just something about the combination of music and slightly garbled Megadrive speech conjures up an awesome atmosphere "a huge battleship approaches" The opening stage is particularly memorable flying through the planet rings but just a polished game all round with lots of play style options (plus the matching game for a change of pace :)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Cosigned. Got to try Sengoku Blade though -- it's a Hori and that's where I'm at. No luck with any Toaplan Vert, but I cleared Hellfire on one credit because of its sexy horizontal... position.

Batsugun Special is an "easy" Toaplan vert 1CC. By "easy" I mean "I 1CC'd it so it musn't be too hard."

J-P

NEST Puppet
Is vanilla Batsugun a lot harder?

There are quite a few differences with Batsugun vs Special. Most notable is that your hitbox is smaller in special. Bombs are different (full-screen in special) and there are special pigs which give EXP. Oh - also Special loops 4 times and you get an insane amount of suicide bullets.

I'd actually say in some ways Vanilla is easier, but I prefer Special.

As for shmups I've been playing recently :P
- Batsugun (Special)
- Armed Police Batrider
- ESP Galuda II
- Mushihimesama Futari (and 1.5)
- Thunder Force V
- Trouble Shooter II (Battle Mania Daiginjō)

As far as hardware goes. I've been playing the megadrive stuff on carts, TFV and Batsugun on the Saturn (with a modded Seimitsu LS-56 Virtua Stick) and Mushi on PC/360. Other stuff is in shmupmame. I use a mayflash USB and my Saturn sticks on the PC. All outputting to a PVM2950. Funtimes :P

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Intelligent...lol..."hardware specs: yakety-yak, shoobadoo, I'm cool guys, right?!"

Edit: and why would you ask such thing?

Edit#2: Oh yeah and you're dead to me. Dio>Ozzy

Last edited:

J-P

NEST Puppet
lol you guys. Just trying to be informative. Forgive any noobishness, I haven't been on a forum in bloody years and for sure it shows. I know not the ways and customs of this strange land.

Back on topic (ish): in terms of using emulation to play some of these shooters anyway:
in an attempt to eliminate lag, bad in fighters too for sure... but shooters definitely; has anyone (using USB sticks or pads) ever thought of modifying the polling rate to 1000Hz (default is 125)? FPS folks do it for mice all the time to boost responsiveness.

I did some tests with various emulators running the 240p test suite (it's a national holiday here in Canada, and I had nothing else better to do but join this place and post these things) and anyhoo I managed to see a noticable difference in lag. Now, forewarning is that I'm not sure if it's just placebo.

Pre mod I was getting 4-5 frames on the manual lag test. Post, I was seeing more zeros. Definitely found NES titles less laggy (Nestopia) also tested in Kega Fusion (MD/Gen) and MAME. All seemed to be a bit tighter and more responsive. I tested with Gley Lancer and Contra Hard Corps - and then tried again on real hardware. Tried this with saturn pads, various sticks and found the same outcome.

In other news, I can confirm the soundtrack in Gleylancer is, very much, the dogs bollocks.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Played through U.N. Squadron (SNES) for the first time. It's one of those games I've watched a lot of people play, but never really played it myself before. Took me awhile to get used to the idea that you need to buy and use a lot of special weapons. Also the first plane sucks hard. It's just so damn slow. Will definitely come back to this one and maybe not try to use up every single life and continue beating it...