Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Booted up Cho Aniki for PS1. That game's graphics are just... uhg.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I finally had a chance to check out Winds of Thunder, a game, which I've been playing on the Mega-CD extensively. The PC-Engine version is almost totally different, the most prominent change is the much higher difficulty. The sword has far less power in the original game and it's very advisable to change weapons for certain levels.

Whereas on the SEGA version, you could stick to the Water Armor for the entire time, on the Engine the Fire Armor rules, though, arguably, not in every stage. Still, Fire is so strong, it almost seems overpowered. The pros are simple: the Fire Armor has the strongest bomb and the advantage of firing vertically, so you don't have to stand in the line of fire of your enemies, while taking them down.

The final benefit is the fact, that the second to last power-level of Fire is a superb weapon in its own right, it's almost better than the last level, doesn't at all feel like a downgrade. Anyway, andsuchisdeath was absolutely right to recommend it. My impressions just humbly confirm his choice.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Fire and Wind come from the sky, from the Gods of the sky...but Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth...

I prefer the PCE version, I feel the Fire armor is the best, the Water armor also works well in some stages, but after playing with ASID for a bit I'm fully convinced Fire is the way to go.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I prefer the PCE version, I feel the Fire armor is the best, the Water armor also works well in some stages, but after playing with ASID for a bit I'm fully convinced Fire is the way to go.

I was actually able to 1CC the Sega CD version with Wind Armor. I just max'd out the power and shields after the first stage.

I was alternating between the 4 on the PCE.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

No, earth is the way to go!

Also, I think the graphics in cho aniki look great.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Pleasuredome, ERECT ! Next time Oliver we play Choaniki and Gerard will have his stick ready

Magn0x

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Playing Blazing Star on Switch at the minute, really enjoying it, can't go wrong at the price. The graphics are really impressive, I also love the fact you can choose to have scanlines at differing levels to really give that old school look!

I also hear Last Resort is a must play ;)

Has anyone got any other recommendations for top shooters on the Neo Geo that are worth a look?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Tried out Gunhed on the Engine. Not as deep as Zanac, but what a great game nevertheless. The coolest feature is the earning/stockpiling of instant respawns through flashing orbs. Turns the last stage into a breeze.

Still got to check the secret 8-way weapon, though I prefer to choose the shield supplement with weapon II anyway. You can safely use this setup for the whole game with the exception of the bubble stage, where a change to III becomes a necessity. Those bubbles just take too many hits.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Tried out Gunhed on the Engine. Not as deep as Zanac, but what a great game nevertheless. The coolest feature is the earning/stockpiling of instant respawns through flashing orbs. Turns the last stage into a breeze.

Still got to check the secret 8-way weapon, though I prefer to choose the shield supplement with weapon II anyway. You can safely use this setup for the whole game with the exception of the bubble stage, where a change to III becomes a necessity. Those bubbles just take too many hits.

Destruction Wave! (weapon II) is great for a lot of the stages, but not the final boss.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've finally built myself a half decent gaming pc and i've been aquainting myself with a few pc emulators.
Played a bit of harmful park on ePSXe and i'm very impressed.
Also radiant silvergun on SSF, first time i've been able to play it on an emulator, it's worthy of the hype, great game.
I need to pick up a decent controller though, the cheap arse 2 bob one i got that was knocking about the house absolutely sucks and is not fit for purpose for shooters.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Cat(s): All your emulators are belong to us... seriously though, it's one of the best decisions you made. So much great new doujin stuff awaits you (Kamui or RefleX) and the old crap can be pimped up with 60fps, higher resolutions, progressive modes etc. etc. Well, it's very exciting.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is the best time to be a PC gamer, even in emulation, so many great controllers to have for cheaps! It really depends on what you like though, there are Saturn USB pads, SNES USB pads, Logitech Precision Pad is an oldie but a goodie, the PDP microswitch fighting pads are really good, even the SFIV pads are great, the Evo Tourney for SFIIHDR was won by a Zangief player with a Madcatz SFIV pad, so there's no excuse for not thinking of that pad as decent, lol.

Sticks, so many, so many levels, peripherals galore man, good luck with the hunt!

Edit: ATM there are Mortal Kombat Xboner pads that work on PC and can be had at any given gamestop for cheap money prolly 'cause no one buys them, I haven't tried them yet but they look decent.
048-009-PDP-MKX-Fight-Pad-for-XBOne-and-XB360-front__1424297974_74.111.183.70.jpg

Last edited: