Lost Neo Geo Prototype FOUND, REVEALED & RELEASED : "DarkSeed"

jLew

n00b
Expect a wave of visitors and more traffic to our humble community. The NTM find has actually appeared in facebook trending feed!

Yup - it's right on my feed under "Entertainment." Pretty damn cool:

ntm_trending.jpg

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If I'm not mistaken, isn't some of that C ROM "Ranking" screen graphics data from Money Idol Exchanger? I recognize the little diamond cursor thing, the selection rectangles, and the Kanji number font from the ranking screen of money idol exchanger:

i6K65lO.jpg

Compare...

i36iBPd.jpg

1Vz7Oxg.jpg

That reinforces the idea that FACE developed this game.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Good eye there mikejmoffitt!

This is some truly amazing and thrilling stuff. I hope someone is able to get in contact with more people that worked on it, in hopes they have a complete version (or a more complete version) sitting around in a box somewhere.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I guarantee the shit you caught was not from the majority of the people here. It was from the very people trying to hold it over our heads. It's always good to remind people that they wouldn't have Ghostlop if you hadn't stepped in. These details get lost over the years, and if you weren't around during that time you probably don't know the details. You will always have my respect for doing that for everyone. Srsly

Thanks man. Noticed your name was in my Facebook feed today - pretty cool!

Very grateful and honored you remembered me during your time of celebration.

Looks like we're the only two guys on the forum who ever released a proto for free while sacrificing our initial investment.

*looks in someone's direction and laughs in their face*

Funny, SNK never sued me for that...

Haters gonna hate. Enjoy your moment brotha!

playboycougar

Reese. ,
1997 -- in regard to versus fighters, RBS, KoF '97 & Last Blade come to mind. The game has more resemblance to the latter, than any other out of the three. It suits the year graphically.

Face released Money Idol Exchanger in '97... and decided to drop Dragon's Heaven? Last released game by Technos Japan was Super Dodge Ball in '96, so at least they were available for that outsourcing in question. It all fits, at least from an outsider's perspective.

Makes sense. Looking at the character art, Last Blade is the first game that came to mind for me. I'm just not a fan of the pre-rendered 2D backgrounds that were common in the mid-90s, not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution NTM.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Makes sense. Looking at the character art, Last Blade is the first game that came to mind for me. I'm just not a fan of the pre-rendered 2D backgrounds that were common in the mid-90s, not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution NTM.

PBC and Kevums in one thread?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
mikejmoffitt you are right. I did a quick compare and the first 0x100 tiles in the proto are almost identical to the first 0x100 tiles of MIE. The only real difference is the orange square in your picture. I'm guessing they simply copied these tiles in to get the NeoGeo logo.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Nothing to offer here, but Wanted to say thank you to NTM for doing all this with the community's best interests at heart. Amazing stuff man.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
Thank you NTM. May tales of your generosity live on through the ages

fuck all the proto hoarders. By the time you decide to sell them it will be too late and you'll have done nothing but contribute to the NG's eventual demise

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Awesome that we have a potential name now and that NTM is at the top of the Facebook feed when I just checked.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Nothing to offer here, but Wanted to say thank you to NTM for doing all this with the community's best interests at heart. Amazing stuff man.

I feel the same way. Thanks, NTM for doing this. It's crazy to see this stuff come out of seemingly nowhere.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Good investigation going on here, and of course kudos to NTM for how he handled this. Looking forward to finding out more :)