Playstation 1 CD-R

Ricard350

n00b
I have a playstation model 7501 and with a game enhancer (external mod chip) to play CD-R games.

The optic assembly was really picky, it would only read darker CD-R so with all the burned attempt I did, (on a old laptop burned in 2-4x) the only one that managed to work was on a fujifilm CD.

Not long ago my optics shit the bed, I think one motor died as the lends would not travel from left to right anymore. So I got a new unit with the same P/N of the one in the PSone slim.

Everything works 10x better, now every CD-R works, without struggle.

I tried to burn DOOM and for some reason it freeze during the loading screen right after the "WILLIAMS" logo video.

I tried to download several version of it but most of them are the same exact image.

I see lots of people on the comments section of those emulation site saying and it dosent even works on emulator, that the image is broken.
Does anyone has the original DOOM on ps1 that could create an image from it?

Sorry for my broken english...

Thanks
David

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Don’t have it dude, probably have more luck asking this question on the isozone, but why not try Final Doom while you get a Doom iso. Or, ya know, buy Doom on PSX.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Final Doom on PSX is awful - on par with Saturn Doom.

I remember trying to get Doom to run on my PSP after I hacked it many moons ago, but could never get it to work.

It's cheap enough, tho. Just buy it.

Ricard350

n00b
It's cheap enough, tho. Just buy it.

Ill probably end up buying it, I just wanted to ask before, if someone had a working image or could make one out of their CD.
I was just pissed that of all the iso available online, this particular one was "broken".

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Final Doom on PSX is awful - on par with Saturn Doom.

I've played Final Doom and don't remember it being as choppy as Saturn Doom, was years ago mind.

Saturn Doom was playable enough for me to complete. 3DO Doom on the other hand is proper shite. Apart from maybe the sound track.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I've played Final Doom and don't remember it being as choppy as Saturn Doom, was years ago mind.

Saturn Doom was playable enough for me to complete. 3DO Doom on the other hand is proper shite. Apart from maybe the sound track.

I played through Saturn Doom, too. Final Doom on PSX run a bit smoother, but not by much. Considering that the original game ran great, I don't understand why this didn't.

I never bothered with 3DO Doom. I would see screens in Gamepro and EGM and think it was ugly.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I never bothered with 3DO Doom. I would see screens in Gamepro and EGM and think it was ugly.

Legend goes that the programmer had 10 weeks to port it. To save time, she got a local band to re-record the music in cd audio instead of porting the midi player to 3DO. That bit was kinda successful. But the rest of the game ran in software mode, so it looked like ass and ran at a shitty framerate (less than 10 fps) fullscreen.

Edit, E1M1 music added.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
3DO Doom was a joke, what she accomplished was amazing though. She enlisted the help of Carmack to get some of the stuff going though. This is worth a watch.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
3do Doom is one of the worst ports ever, but the story behind it is a good read. The fact that the (lone) programmer got anything playable with what she was given is amazing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The only way to play any old ID game is PC. Will run on anything 15 years old or more no issues.

WADS are the best thing about Doom now. The modding community has made so much content you could play the rest of your life and never finish it all.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
The only way to play any old ID game is PC. Will run on anything 15 years old or more no issues.

WADS are the best thing about Doom now. The modding community has made so much content you could play the rest of your life and never finish it all.

HUGE portion of it is garbage, tho.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Brutal Doom and the metal music pack make it all worth it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Brutal Doom and the metal music pack make it all worth it.

Yeah brutal doom is my fav as well.
I thought ps1 doom was great, used to play it a lot with a link cable, 2 ps1's and 2 tv's, pain to set up but fab with a gang of mates and a few beers, ridge racer rev was another we'd play with this set up.
Final doom on ps1 is average at best and doom on the 3DO, whatever the history, is terrible IMO.