What Fighting Games are you playing ATM?

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
jack.jpg

FUCKYOUYOUFATCUUUUUUUUUNT

It seems I can't make my own topic, but it sounds like Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite is coming to XBox One and PS4 for download. I wish it was available on the XBox 360 though. I'd be curious enough to get it if it was cheap.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
it sounds like Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite is coming to XBox One and PS4 for download. I wish it was available on the XBox 360 though. I'd be curious enough to get it if it was cheap.

I picked it up for Switch today. I'm enjoying the high score challenges and caravan mode in these Neo ACA releases a lot more than I figured I would.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Interesting, I might have to read up on the various differences in the CPS1 versions of SFII. I kinda just wrote all of them off as "Why play this when Super Turbo exists", and never really touched them.

It has a lot to do with the game speed being so slow you can easily react to moves. Say someone does a jump in on you. Well you can usually see it a mile away and react, but using a special that is also slow can be a pain to time, so you use normals.

Now once CE came out the bosses being so crazy broken makes using specials way more essential.

Yeah but he's a cunt to play against

All's fair in extending the fun at the arcade.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Over the weekend, I had some fun with Kaiser Knuckle. Unfortunately, I don't have a kick harness wired up, so I can't say I've experienced it fully, but I focused on characters like Barts, with strong arm based specials. I'm definitely no pro fighter, so you won't hear me complaining about frame advantage based balance issues. The game looks solid, though. I'm definitely enjoying the music and visuals. Especially the hidden areas in the arenas. The 3D depth effects are nice, once you break through the walls.

I was also playing Dan-Ku-Ga on the F3 multi, and while I prefer the old palette, the gameplay seems to be improved greatly. Backwards dash for all characters is a nice addition. You can even change the game speed in the test menu, although if you up it to 3, it's too fast. Has anyone else tried this one? It seems like a polished fighter, but I haven't heard much about it before.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Over the weekend, I had some fun with Kaiser Knuckle. Unfortunately, I don't have a kick harness wired up, so I can't say I've experienced it fully, but I focused on characters like Barts, with strong arm based specials. I'm definitely no pro fighter, so you won't hear me complaining about frame advantage based balance issues. The game looks solid, though. I'm definitely enjoying the music and visuals. Especially the hidden areas in the arenas. The 3D depth effects are nice, once you break through the walls.

I was also playing Dan-Ku-Ga on the F3 multi, and while I prefer the old palette, the gameplay seems to be improved greatly. Backwards dash for all characters is a nice addition. You can even change the game speed in the test menu, although if you up it to 3, it's too fast. Has anyone else tried this one? It seems like a polished fighter, but I haven't heard much about it before.

I've always wanted to play Dan-Ku-Ga. It does appear to be an improvement over Kaiser Knuckle.

So the final boss in Kaiser Knuckle is supposedly like the hardest ever.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Been trying out MVCI for the 1st time. From someone who is casual with this series but has played it from the start (X-Men COTA) It feels pretty good. It's easy to pick some of the older characters you know and they play similar, but have new twists to them. Also some of the new ones I played so far (Black Panther, Monster Hunter) are actually fun to play.

I called off work today and got some game in KOF '02UM and Garou in. Who knew Mondays were so popular for old school 2d fighters?

fdasta0079

n00b

I played it a bit with some friends at a meetup. Seemed pretty fun, and some of the characters were hilarious.

fdasta0079

n00b
I bought a Virtua Fighter cab recently, so I've been playing a bunch of that. My roommate and I also played a bit of VF5 Final Showdown after catching the VF bug, though I think as far as modern 3D fighters go I prefer Tekken. It's a bit easier to get the hang of.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I bought a Virtua Fighter cab recently, so I've been playing a bunch of that. My roommate and I also played a bit of VF5 Final Showdown after catching the VF bug, though I think as far as modern 3D fighters go I prefer Tekken. It's a bit easier to get the hang of.

Tekken is for children.

Virtua Fighter is for adults.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
So the final boss in Kaiser Knuckle is supposedly like the hardest ever.

Yeah. The General is INSANELY hard. Crazy fast, with full screen specials, a four or five hit slide-in low attack and a bunch of other crazy stuff. Here's a video of people from Mikado trying to beat him. It took them two hours to finally figure out a [relatively simple] strategy. Absolutely bonkers.

fdasta0079

n00b
I def like both, but if I want to get into VF5 I'm basically stuck playing with people who will absolutely destroy me, whereas with Tekken I don't really have that problem.

Sega just needs to make VF6 already.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
VF is like that in general. The more or less experience you have usually translates to how well you will do with an opponent. Tekken has more shenanagins so you can steal wins from better players.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Got the Xbox version of KOF Neowave on my Xbox One a couple weeks ago. Liking it, but is there a way to turn that ugly ass smoothing off?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Naruto: Ninja Council 3 on the NDS. It's a 2D arena fighter, sort of like Super Smash Bros. Oddly, you simply cannot play a "normal" match with CPU opponents, that's only available as multiplayer, which seems like a pretty big oversight on the developer's part. Instead, in single player, you just get a bunch of missions to go through with various win conditions (beat your opponent with a particular super move, grab ten bowels of ramen, defeat 100 ninjas within the time limit, etc.) to work through in order to unlock additional fighters and other features. I'm about 65% finished with those right now, with only two "B" tier missions left before I can move on to the "A" tier missions. Some of the missions are super easy, others incredibly frustrating, but it's a fairly addictive affair.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Got the Xbox version of KOF Neowave on my Xbox One a couple weeks ago. Liking it, but is there a way to turn that ugly ass smoothing off?

i remember trying to see if there was a way to change from 3d backgrounds to 2d in neowave like you could do in kof 03 on the ps2 version. but it wasn't available nor was there any other options for visual alterations on the ps2 version.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
i remember trying to see if there was a way to change from 3d backgrounds to 2d in neowave like you could do in kof 03 on the ps2 version. but it wasn't available nor was there any other options for visual alterations on the ps2 version.

Backgrounds in Neowave are a mess. The originals were technically 2D, but they were pre-rendered graphics, not hand drawn. In my opinion, 3D is conceptually closer to what the artists were after. You usually use flat pre-rendered graphics, because the hardware can't handle rendering in real time.

As for fighting games, after spending some time with Dan-Ku-Ga, I played some Street Fighter Zero 2. Seeing it at an arcade for the first time left a lasting impression, and I always had a soft spot for the second installment. Sound is so good, too. Gotta' love that deep bass of CPS2.

Also, after seeing a recent Mikado mini tournament, I feel like I should put some hours in with Double Dragon on the Neo. Seeing good matches made me want to play it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
In addition to the usual SF5 grinding and playing Hyper Fighting on the cab when I've had a long day, I've been playing through the story mode of Injustice 1 with my wife. She enjoys the stupid story ("better than Justice League!") and it's easy enough that she can learn like two combos per character and win most of the time. It's an excuse to spend time together more than anything else.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Impressive you got a wife to play fighters. I'm happy when I can get my wife on Rockband or a puzzle game.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Ehhh. My wife probably plays more games than I do at this point. She just plays Picross, Diablo clones and story-heavy indie games instead of fighting games/FPSs. We try to find stuff to play together when possible (recently it's been Overwatch but yeah, we used to play a lot of Rock Band and Portal 2) but mostly she just tolerates my bullshit.

Anyway, fighting games aren't her cup of tea but she loved the 90s era DC animated shows so she's familiar with the characters and the modern Netherrealms games are pretty good about just letting you mash buttons to get through the story.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Anybody playing Fighting Layer EX demo? Its a lot of fun. I have always love the SF EX series, would be awesome if they re-release them.