OSSC through Extron won’t sync.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I received an Extron Crosspoint to avoid connect and disconnect any longer with my setup but I can’t really make it work.

Cable from Extron to OSSC (male scart to BNC) is fine because it works as line out from the PVM to OSSC.

I have installed a sync stripper to the female scart -> BNC but maybe something is wrong with what I have connected. Take a look at the picture if something isn’t right. Or it could be a faulty Extron Crosspoint as the seller couldn’t test it if works. When I power it up it makes a test and lights up all buttons for one second. All buttons also behave as the unit is working.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: After applying the sync stripper in the female scart, nothing will sync with my PVM either.
As you can see in the picture orange goes to sync, purple to ground, yellow is sync in, Black is coming from 5v, maybe is something wrong with the power pin?
F0369A61-6E19-428F-B354-B843CA49B1E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
My PVM won’t sync either from Extron’s output. PVM won’t even sync using the female scart to bnc equipped the sync stripper.
Wii and XBOX 360 via component will work via Extron as normal though. I also used a SNES with sync on luma and it would sync for 1 second via Extron while sync normally on PVM.
All consoles will sync successfully with OSSC if connected directly in the scart input of the OSSC.

So either EXTRON isn’t compatible with lm1881 or needs to be fed with different sync signal. Is it so picky? There is a possibility the crosspoint is faulty or I may have connected the sync stripper the wrong way into the scart. And what about sync on luma? It didn’t work either.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I mailed Rob from retro gaming cables where I bought the strippers and he advised me to reverse sync cables. I had not realized that “IN” on chip actually means “in scart”. Now it’s working flawlessly. I only need to receive from mail the Extron SMX series with HDMI and VGA and connect everything to everything. All retro and new generation consoles to all possible outputs, upscalers, digital and analog displays.
Here is a picture for reference if someone sticks to the same issue as me
A748BBE3-BB01-435A-AB21-C03AE806A852.jpeg

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Awesome every time i see posts about Extron Cross points I have a voice yelling at me to finish building my RGB/Component switcher setup LOL

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
What devices do you need for your setup to be finished?

Extrons are cool and are cheap themselves but the real cost is either build the cables yourself + those stupid audio phoenix connectors or pony up for them. Even with decent cable management having more than a few consoles hooked up will still look like a giant electrical daisy chained fire death trap.

Extron stuff is built really well imo. The S-video MAV 88 SVA S-video Matrix switch I have is pretty dope though. 8 inputs, 8 outputs that you can mix and match is pretty crazy.

I hope superg orders more of those Gcompswitches he made as it is the only thing I need for my setup (currently rocking a Gscart meme lite with a Shinybow SB-2840 RGB SCART to Component).

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
What devices do you need for your setup to be finished?

Extrons are cool and are cheap themselves but the real cost is either build the cables yourself + those stupid audio phoenix connectors or pony up for them. Even with decent cable management having more than a few consoles hooked up will still look like a giant electrical daisy chained fire death trap.

Extron stuff is built really well imo. The S-video MAV 88 SVA S-video Matrix switch I have is pretty dope though. 8 inputs, 8 outputs that you can mix and match is pretty crazy.

I hope superg orders more of those Gcompswitches he made as it is the only thing I need for my setup (currently rocking a Gscart meme lite with a Shinybow SB-2840 RGB SCART to Component).

Its mostly wiring tbh, Im not ready to pony up the costs. I have block diagrams made for my setup though. I considered building the cables my self *shrug*. I also want to get a Shiny Bow Scart RGB to Component Transcoder because I do not have any TV's that will take pure RGB but my CRT Tv's in my setup have component. And yeah those Pheonix connectors are stupid expensive. LOL

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Yes it is a nice setup but here I discovered issues with the OSSC. If the OSSC using a supergun is connected to Extron output or PVM line out, then there sync problems with a lot of pcbs like all CPS1, CPS2 and pre CPS1, some IREM bords and more. It can’t sync while 4x and 5x but only with 2x and not perfectly. OSSC can play faultlessly if the supergun is connected directly in its scart input.

I am experimenting with cabling and combinations and if I have something new I will post.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Don't those Extrons take TTL in and output TTL Csync out? I would imagine your supergun is attenuated to 75ohms. Hopefully you can narrow down why this does this.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Don't those Extrons take TTL in and output TTL Csync out? I would imagine your supergun is attenuated to 75ohms. Hopefully you can narrow down why this does this.
I feed Extron Csync as normal usinc a stripper inside the female to bnc scart. It also has tiny termination switches on the back to choose between 75 ohms or 510 ohms . Here is what it says on the manual: "Each switch provides the option of selecting either 510 ohms or 75 ohms. The 75 ohms position is required only for an input with non-TTL sync, greater than 5V p-p. The normal position is 510 ohms."

It also has a note: "NOTE: An input that produces an out of sync display, a display that is rolling vertically with or without horizontal tearing, could indicate a non-TTL sync input. A device that is known to output non-TTL sync levels (greater than 5V p-p) should be connected to one of the inputs with sync termination switches, and the switches for that input should be set to the 75 ohm position. If you are not sure, check the specifications in the User Guide for the input device"

Whatever switch I choose it won't sync at 5x or 4x for Capcom pcbs. CPSIII runs at 5x without issues though...
My scart cable from supergun doesn't have resistor in sync line.

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I feed Extron Csync as normal usinc a stripper inside the female to bnc scart. It also has tiny termination switches on the back to choose between 75 ohms or 510 ohms . Here is what it says on the manual: "Each switch provides the option of selecting either 510 ohms or 75 ohms. The 75 ohms position is required only for an input with non-TTL sync, greater than 5V p-p. The normal position is 510 ohms."

It also has a note: "NOTE: An input that produces an out of sync display, a display that is rolling vertically with or without horizontal tearing, could indicate a non-TTL sync input. A device that is known to output non-TTL sync levels (greater than 5V p-p) should be connected to one of the inputs with sync termination switches, and the switches for that input should be set to the 75 ohm position. If you are not sure, check the specifications in the User Guide for the input device"

Whatever switch I choose it won't sync at 5x or 4x for Capcom pcbs. CPSIII runs at 5x without issues though...
My scart cable from supergun doesn't have resistor in sync line.

A little off topic here but I enjoy this threads information so I got a question for you Green
I intended to switch and pass component through my switcher as well. Now i still need to do my homework more on how these signals get handled by the extron i havent looked in the manual in about a year now but the extron shouldnt have issues with component right?

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
A little off topic here but I enjoy this threads information so I got a question for you Green
I intended to switch and pass component through my switcher as well. Now i still need to do my homework more on how these signals get handled by the extron i havent looked in the manual in about a year now but the extron shouldnt have issues with component right?
As far as I have connected Xbox 360 and Wii they play ok. I need to confirm if there is a tiny flicker though. Maybe it was my long distance cable. I will let you know tomorrow.
Resolution was 1600x1200 for the Wii and Xbox 360. 5x

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
As far as I have connected Xbox 360 and Wii they play ok. I need to confirm if there is a tiny flicker though. Maybe it was my long distance cable. I will let you know tomorrow.
Resolution was 1600x1200 for the Wii and Xbox 360. 5x

Fantastic all this talk about RGB and Extron setups is reigniting my intrests ALOT

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Fantastic all this talk about RGB and Extron setups is reigniting my intrests ALOT
Wii plays great through component to the Extron and then OSSC. It will play 4x and looks fantastic. It’s worth to mention that component goes to Extron and Extron translates the signal to the scart input of the OSSC. You don’t need to hook another 5ft component input to OSSC.

I have ordered a RGB PACKAPUNH cable for Wii. I am curious how much better it can become

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Wii plays great through component to the Extron and then OSSC. It will play 4x and looks fantastic. It’s worth to mention that component goes to Extron and Extron translates the signal to the scart input of the OSSC. You don’t need to hook another 5ft component input to OSSC.

I have ordered a RGB PACKAPUNH cable for Wii. I am curious how much better it can become

I wont be using any scalers, none the less thanks for the info :D