FATAL FURY I & II OVAs & THE MOTION PICTURE on R1 DVD By DISCOTEK MEDIA

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
These anime were released a couple of days ago on official R1 DVDs courtesy of Discotek Media. I've watched both videos so here's my mini review and update to this original post. I'm also uploading screen caps comparing Viz Video's & Discotek Media's OVA DVDs.

This DVD release of The Motion Picture is easily the BEST in existence. The packaging states Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture was created from a new print and is presented in anamorphic widescreen. Finally, after 20 years we've gotten a vivid and sharp widescreen edition that's near Blu-ray quality. Apparently, even in Japan Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture doesn't even exist in anamorphic widescreen. The sound is fantastic too. I haven't uploaded any screen caps of The Motion Picture because it easily bests any previous DVDs of it. As I wrote, this DVD is in anamorphic widescreen and a new master; no proof necessary.

On the Discotek Media OVAs DVD:

The Good:

-Discotek Media is an awesome brand that deserves praise for giving us a respectable new release of this classic anime.
-The OVAs seem uncut and maybe more risque than the Viz release.
-The Joe Higashi fight scene is in it's original place during the OVA and not an Easter egg (it defaults to Japanese audio just for the scene so turn on those subs).
-Both OVAs have the original Japanese titles and text credits and no the dumbed-down for Amerika-jin audiences.
-Though not perfect, this DVD is still highly recommended because both of these OVAs are very entertaining and should be watched.

Bad:

--An old video master was probably used for this transfer; may be the only source Discotek had access to.
-Discotek Media's OVAs color is a bit washed out compared to the Viz DVD.
-The image is less sharp than the Viz DVD.
-There's rainbow banding on intricate line art such as hair.

Audio for both releases is fine, so no complaints there.

In this age it's becoming financially risky to produce physical DVDs of niche market anime because of internet piracy. I hope those with an interest in SNK and high quality vintage anime releases will BUY these DVDs. It will be money well spent.

Where to buy:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=es083

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=es08401 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 024.jpg02 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 024.png03 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 009.jpg04 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 009.png05 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 012.jpg06 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 012.png07 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 010.jpg08 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 010.png09 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 004.png010 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 004.jpg011 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 006.png012 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 006.jpg013 Viz Video Fatal Fury OVAs 017.png014 Discotek Fatal Fury OVAs 017.jpg

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Wow this is pretty cool. Not a bad price either.

Will probably pick them both up.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
These movies beat the live action kof movie...

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
How is the movie?

I saw the OVA's years ago, and I remember liking them, but I'm not sure if it was because they were actually good, or if it was because I was a Terry fanboy...

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I like the box art, very AES like.

The movie was pretty good, I remember liking it more than the OVAs.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Pretty sweet; I ordered both as well as Cybersix! Lamentably, Sexy Soccer is out of print.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
By the same people who did the character design work for Gowcaizer.

Moria/the man

New Challenger
Man, The second move was so awesome growing up... I know I watched more than a couple dozen times. I think I'll have to pick up the 1st one. I'm pretty sure I still have the VHS tape. NEO GEO fer everz!!!!!

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I updated my initial post with some comparison pics. Sorry it took so long for a more in-depth review.. work was gettin' in the way. Please check out my original post. Thank you.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you should really write which caps are from which DVD, that would make your post/review easier to read.

I've never seen these, maybe I'll pick up the new releases. However I have a lot of stuff to watch on my list and can't help but feel the FF OVAs and Motion Picture might not have an as intriguing story as other animes I haven't seen yet.

bdlou

Quiz Detective
That's pretty cool. I still have my VHS copies of this in storage somewhere. As a kid that was a Neo fan, my mind was blown when I found these in a store randomly.

snkjoe

New Challenger
I like the cover for them. I mite have to get them since I only have them on vhs.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sorry about the lack of labeling. When on the photos, if you hover your cursor over an image without clicking anything the file name states which photo is from what.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I owned them on vhs and have the Viz releases. Will get this soon, I was very impressed with the Terry, Joe, Mai and Andy fight against Lao-corn (sp?) KOF before KOF 94 hit the arcades ;). Thanks for the review sir.

Also, I can back up Discotek's quality, they released Golden Boy on dvd and it's just about perfect. They even left the dub intact! :)

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
-The OVAs seem uncut and maybe more risque than the Viz release.

I finally watched the two OAVs on the new edition DVD over the past couple days, and I can't say that the new edition is any more risque than the old Viz release. The new DVD most definitely added back that missing fight from Fatal Fury 2, though.

I an hoping for some extra titty goodness in the new edition of the movie, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The shower scene on the Viz edition did seem to cut out in a bit of a strange way, so maybe there's a bit more. I don't know. I probably won't know for a few days.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I am one of the biggest fans on planet blue of these anime's. I am not a huge anime nut, but these specifically are special to me.

http://lwk.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

I cleaned up real good on some stuff recently.
This one is so bad ass. Probably the best close up centered cel of him transformed.

4000.jpg

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Even though I have all three on vhs I'll still buy the dvds.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I finally watched the two OAVs on the new edition DVD over the past couple days, and I can't say that the new edition is any more risque than the old Viz release. The new DVD most definitely added back that missing fight from Fatal Fury 2, though.

I an hoping for some extra titty goodness in the new edition of the movie, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The shower scene on the Viz edition did seem to cut out in a bit of a strange way, so maybe there's a bit more. I don't know. I probably won't know for a few days.

I own the original Japanese Laserdisc release of the movie and bought the Viz VHS release back in the day as well. There is no difference. the weird cut in the shower scene where you see nipple for a second is in the normal cut along with the nudity with the Wind Guy fight scenes and the lady fight.

I bought the Viz DVD release a couple of months ago, but never bothered to watch it yet. I might throw it in soon for shits and giggles.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I own the original Japanese Laserdisc release of the movie and bought the Viz VHS release back in the day as well. There is no difference. the weird cut in the shower scene where you see nipple for a second is in the normal cut along with the nudity with the Wind Guy fight scenes and the lady fight.

I bought the Viz DVD release a couple of months ago, but never bothered to watch it yet. I might throw it in soon for shits and giggles.

Oh really? That's too bad :( At least you get to see Mai pop out all over the place throughout the rest of the movie. Gotta be quick with the pause button, though.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I just watched the new version of the movie. There's no extra titty action, but holy shit does the new DVD look amazing. It upscales to 1080p extremely well. Sometimes I thought I was actually watching a blu ray. Highly recommended.