PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
What an awesome piece of kit, order placed. Along with my Neo SD I'm now completely covered on the two best systems ever made, brilliant work.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
turn it sideways? :P ...

... Bloody impressive work. Going to have to see about getting one of these.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sure, it’s opinion, but I wouldn’t call my shelves narrow. A supergrafx and a super cd is super deep compared to any other console. And at the same time it’s not very wide. Which is presumably why they put all the connections on the sides.

Put it on a table then? fuckin hell.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Sure, it’s opinion, but I wouldn’t call my shelves narrow. A supergrafx and a super cd is super deep compared to any other console. And at the same time it’s not very wide. Which is presumably why they put all the connections on the sides.

Want just a nice piece advice?

Just enjoy the site man... the product is how it is...

Don't take everything to heart... and occasionally wear a tin hat when posting on the forum...

I'm only giving giving you this advice because of the inundation of new members who are trying to join and the lurker accounts this thread is bringing out...

There's a way to play on NG.com...

xROTx

PS. NONE of the mods really advertise the fact that they are mods... and one or two of them are the irritable type...:eye::eye:

FikNaldo

n00b
Didn't see it asked anywhere else yet, and I don't particularly care about other's opinions about if it should have been implemented or not, but why no HDMI output?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Didn't see it asked anywhere else yet, and I don't particularly care about other's opinions about if it should have been implemented or not, but why no HDMI output?

This would have increased the development costs, manufacturing and the final price aswel.

On the other hand people interested on upscalers are just using framemeisters and oss, so we thought it would be better to have a pure rgb output so everyone can use theyr favourite upscaler ratter than force everyone to purchase a included one.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This would have increased the development costs, manufacturing and the final price aswel.

On the other hand people interested on upscalers are just using framemeisters and oss, so we thought it would be better to have a pure rgb output so everyone can use theyr favourite upscaler ratter than force everyone to purchase a included one.

GOOD ANSWER!

So many cool n00bs posting...

xROTx

PS. OK OK... n00bs... I admit it... all you guys registering in the past few months (or past 5 years)... it has been me that activated your account...

So yes... I will admit I am a mod... just to clarify to some of you guys wondering if they should start shouting at me for spammin'... or trollin'...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Is there a different forum where Terraonion is discussing their product? I didn’t see anything on assemblergames. But Schmups has a small thread about it https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61381&sid=547a340f0da413b82b7b234a664d6b21

We have members who have multiple accounts across a range of forums... They will post info about stuff where they wish too..

Maybe n00bs should be directed there? It really isn’t a Neo Geo product anyway.

Neosd uses this forum as his main base so far...

You are correct it is not a NG product... but after his release of the original product the Terraonion team play here mainly...

They do not have their own dedicated forum... just their sales and faq page...

I am looking to gather opinion about giving the Terraonion team a permanent place on Ng.com with their own dedicated forum... you may post opinions in this thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-forum-on-NG-com-Opinions-please&goto=newpost

xROTx

nam9

Zero's Secretary
...any pictures of the final product? All I've seen are renders...

Otherwise very exciting!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I am way late to this party, but will be all in once the bank stops hating our corner of the world.

Just wanted to offer a quick round of congratulations to the Neo SD team. You guys have somehow really outdone yourselves. This is a really special, fantastic piece of work. Can't wait to try this, and I can only imagine what's next now that you've developed this expertise.

neosd

Neosd Developer
...any pictures of the final product? All I've seen are renders...

Otherwise very exciting!

Next week we hope, we got pictures and videos of the shells but those are pre production units on solid black ABS plastic and the mold was not polished. Final shells are going to be transparent black smoke efect.

This may confuse people

BTW we showed those on chat some weeks ago so a lot of people already saw those.

Remember : nice things happen on chat

Last edited:

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Popped over from GadgetUK's video to give a huge thanks to the Terraonion team! Another excellent piece of kit. I'm going to start a 'NeoSD Team' savings account in January so I can just automatically pick up whatever you're releasing on the holidays of that year. :glee:

FikNaldo

n00b

Ok - fair comment, it's your product and you can make whatever design decision you like.

I'd have preferred HDMI out - but that's just me - as I inferred, everyone will have their own needs / desires and if mine isn't fulfilled then that's just my bad luck.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
HDMI out is great, but a proper implementation would have jacked the price up beyond what I'd be willing to pay.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Ok - fair comment, it's your product and you can make whatever design decision you like.

I'd have preferred HDMI out - but that's just me - as I inferred, everyone will have their own needs / desires and if mine isn't fulfilled then that's just my bad luck.

CRT users like me are very happy :D

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Wished this news came before BF, bought another tgfx everdrive. Ill still get one, great job.

X68

n00b
Thanks to neosd for this, like the release style again - BAM ;)
Does the AV cable require any components to be installed or does it need to be completely passive?
Following deunan & his pce ode development he mentions about how cue/bin & iso images are unsatisfactory - what are your opinions on this & have you encountered any issues so far in testing?

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
thank you guys! I will buy it!

I have 3 questions for NeoSD member:

1) I have to buy the PC ENGINE: do you suggest a specific model? Pc Engine, Core Grafx, Core grafx 2, Turbo Grafx 16...ecc.. or Are all the model equivalent?Can I buy the cheapest one and the games will work in the same way when i run them with Super System 3?
2) the RGB cable and the microSD aren't included in the box, am I right?
3) the cd games could have different format: bin+cue, iso+cue, wav files + cue and so on. Are all the format supported?
4) a lot of Pc Engine on ebay are RGB modded: do you think that the modded console with the RGB output could not work with Super System 3?

thank you!

neodev

Neosd Tech
thank you guys! I will buy it!

I have 3 questions for NeoSD member:

1) I have to buy the PC ENGINE: do you suggest a specific model? Pc Engine, Core Grafx, Core grafx 2, Turbo Grafx 16...ecc.. or Are all the model equivalent?Can I buy the cheapest one and the games will work in the same way when i run them with Super System 3?
2) the RGB cable and the microSD aren't included in the box, am I right?
3) the cd games could have different format: bin+cue, iso+cue, wav files + cue and so on. Are all the format supported?
4) a lot of Pc Engine on ebay are RGB modded: do you think that the modded console with the RGB output could not work with Super System 3?

thank you!

I can answer a few:

The cart currently supports cue+iso and cue+bin, but adding cue+wav is easy. cue+mp3 and similar formats with compressed audio won't be supported.

I think a rgb modded console will work. You can also continue using your modded rgb output if you wish, but the audio must be taken from the sd system 3 connector, otherwise you'll miss the cdda + adpcm sound that is generated by the cdrom block

neosd

Neosd Developer
Thanks to neosd for this, like the release style again - BAM ;)
Does the AV cable require any components to be installed or does it need to be completely passive?

Totally pasive, the rgb amplifier is on the super sd system 3 pcb

Following deunan & his pce ode development he mentions about how cue/bin & iso images are unsatisfactory - what are your opinions on this & have you encountered any issues so far in testing?

I would let neodev to give you a deeper answer but all the issues we had while developing it were related to timmings ratter than other things.
I am a big fan of redump.org so those were the sets we primary images we used. We also used images from a lot of different places such as emuparadise and so, everything we tried worked fine. As long as you got a cue and audio is not compressed in mp3 and so, you will be fine.

We spent months while getting every single game working on all different boards, so maybe Deunan just wanted to say he had timming issues at all

BTW Deunan is a top guy, we worked with him in the past on some naomi things. Pretty good coder and a better person aswel.

Alex,

Also i would like to explain that we saw Deunan development after we were already working on ours.

I have to say that we felt happy to see our aproach were really different than his. As far as i know he was working on just emulate the cdrom drive itself while using the ADPCM hardware included on the suitcase, while our aproach was to emulate the entire hardware plus arcade card and hucards.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
I would let neodev to give you a deeper answer but all the issues we had while developing it were related to timmings ratter than other things.
I am a big fan of redump.org so those were the sets we primally used, even we used images from a lot of places such as emuparadise and so, everything we tried worked fine. As long as you got a cue, you will be fine

We spent months while getting every single game working on all different boards, so maybe Deunan just wanted to say he had timming issues at all

BT Deunan is a top guy, we worked with him in the past on some naomi things. Pretty good coder and a better person aswel.

Alex,

Yes, the main issue we had was with the access timmings.

.cue files can be tricky to parse sometimes, as there are different variations, but we think we got all the current existing dumps covered, so far we aren't aware of any dumped game that fails to parse the .cue file (there were issues in the past).

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
What you can see on gadgets video is the launch firmware but we have other things planed to be added by software after launch.

I wont sell anything we don´t have until we have it, but we got something pretty nice planned before cheats.

The route plan is the same as NEOSD, you guys get it, ask for changes and improvements and we do as many as possible as long as those are worth doing.

You all know from the last time that we listen and do any needed firmware changes to have everyone happy.

I totally understand and appreciate not selling features that don't exist. I was just hoping to present it as an idea for a future firmware update. Definitely looking forward to this product.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I totally understand and appreciate not selling features that don't exist. I was just hoping to present it as an idea for a future firmware update. Definitely looking forward to this product.

Yes, any idea is welcome, we really apreciate those.

About the questions :

I am updating the seccond post on the first page with relevant questions, have a look before asking please. This will save new users to read 100 pages

Thanks

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I have seen so many people complaining about the lack of component video output. Just a note, buy HDRetrovision cables and plug them in. There is your component. Offering RGB is the simplest way to handle the analog output.

For the people bitching about no HDMI output, go buy the UperGrafx. Enjoy your $500-600US 720p HDMI with no HuCard support or Arcade Card support.