MVS coin counter reset?

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Is it possible to reset the coin counter on a big reg mvs cab?
I would prefer not to disassemble it...

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Coin counters are not made to be reset. Either put in a new one, or keep flipping your current one until it rolls over back to 000000.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The black mechanical coin counters cannot be reset and usually trying to take them apart to do it will break it. They do make resettable ones with a black button on the side. When pressed, they reset the digits all to 0.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i reset a unresettable one. i tore it apart and reworked the gears and slowly put it back together.

this take a bit of time and a careful idea to what you saw and plenty of macro pictures.

not worth the time i put into it but im a bored geek

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is your cab on location or you just need it to be at zero?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Can you just hold down the coin switch? Or does it only keep flip once per closing of the switch?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I like the idea of this..

Say to know how many times you played your machine from the coin counter..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Once per close.

You could make a rapid fire circuit to flip it on it's own to get to zero.

I like the idea of this..

Say to know how many times you played your machine from the coin counter..

You don't need to reset the counter just make a not of the current count and subtract when done. Of course zeros would be nice.

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
That could work.
It would have to be running for a while tho...its not really high but would be nice to have it at 0.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
I know this tread is 10 years old, but maybe its interesting for somone and this tread already exists.
I reseted my counter, by open it and set it to zero, its an easy fix.
IMG-8024.jpg

IMG-8028.jpg

I used a blade to open it, only go around the plastic edge and its open.
IMG-8025.jpg

i had to bend the frame slightly to move the pieces inside
IMG-8026.jpg

fixed the weel Position with tape, and put everything in place again.
24-FDB803-1-FB8-4697-A6-DB-1140-C1-F7-D478.jpg

Done! it works perfect :)

greetings Alex

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You shouldn't do this. It's like tampering with the odometer in a used vehicle. The next owner should be able to know how many plays the cab has been through to get an idea of how much use it has seen.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
There will never be a new owner and expect the crt everything is new inside. Also if the cab was on freeplay the last 10 years, the counter stays in still and no one can see how many times it was used.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
There will never be a new owner and expect the crt everything is new inside.

Well unless you are going to be buried in it then it will have a new owner one day.

Personally I dont believe in reseting them, Its part of the authenticity of having a cab.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Well unless you are going to be buried in it then it will have a new owner one day.

Personally I dont believe in reseting them, Its part of the authenticity of having a cab.

Sure, but if the CRT still works when Im going to be buried, the counter only show how many coins were used and does not show how many times the cab was used. Like I said, the pre owner could play for years in freeplay mode and it does not effect the counter.
No one will read anything out of it. I bought it with the counter unplugged, how can I say how many times it was used? The MVS board was used too when I added it, does the counter tells me how many times it was used? I restored the Cab, and activated the Counter and now it starts fom zero, now I can see how many times it was Played.
the counter is only to see how many Money was made with the Cab

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You shouldn't do this. It's like tampering with the odometer in a used vehicle. The next owner should be able to know how many plays the cab has been through to get an idea of how much use it has seen.

If the cab was 100% original I would say leave it alone but it doesn't really matter.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What's the point of setting it back to 0 anyway?

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
What's the point of setting it back to 0 anyway?

Its only for fun, I love to play with coins and never use freeplay. So I can see how many times it was played on my machine since I own it. That’s all.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Sure, but if the CRT still works when Im going to be buried, the counter only show how many coins were used and does not show how many times the cab was used. Like I said, the pre owner could play for years in freeplay mode and it does not effect the counter.
No one will read anything out of it. I bought it with the counter unplugged, how can I say how many times it was used? The MVS board was used too when I added it, does the counter tells me how many times it was used? I restored the Cab, and activated the Counter and now it starts fom zero, now I can see how many times it was Played.
the counter is only to see how many Money was made with the Cab

You made my point there.

The counter is only there to see how much money the cab has made in its lifetime.
The board/monitor/free play is totally irrelevant.

I am not saying that you should not do it per se, I am just pointing out that its a cool little piece of originality that adds to the over all charm of the cabinet.

The counter in both my Area 51 and Neo Berry cabs were both dissconected/broken when I got them but both now work.
I didnt zero either of them though just let them carry on from where they left off how ever many years ago.

Its the same reason I leave old PAT test stickers and stuff like that on if possible as its just those little bites of authenticity to remember that at some point it was in some location being used and abused for money.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I like my counter. It gives a kind of history and character to it.