Golden Axe 2: RODA no sound...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I just hooked up a Golden Axe 2: RODA board I had picked up awhile back and sadly I'm not getting any sound...

I tried the board in three different cabs cabinets, no sound on any of them...so I'd have to assume the problem is with the board itself.

I accessed the test menu, cleared the back up data and did a RAM/ROM check and everything tested "good". I didn't get any sound under the sound test option either. I next adjusted the sound pot on board, didn't seem to have any effect either...

I'm getting +5.3v and +11.7 at the jamma harness...

Any ideas???
20170508_111249.jpg

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Do you have any other System 32 games? The A boards on those can be super flakey.

Edit: I had a similar problem with spiderman and the bottom board was the problem.

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Do you have any other System 32 games? The A boards on those can be super flakey.

Edit: I had a similar problem with spiderman and the bottom board was the problem.

Hmmmm...that's a bummer to hear about the main boards:/ I currently don't have any other System 32 games either, lame...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Your going to have to get your hands a little dirty and dig into it with at least a logic probe. If you want a hail marry than change the z80.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Your going to have to get your hands a little dirty and dig into it with at least a logic probe. If you want a hail marry than change the z80.

Well crap...I've never used a logic probe before, my skills start and end at through hole soldering haaaaaaa. I suppose I could throw a new Z80 at it if you think that's the tickets...

You wouldn't happen to know anybody that's good at repairing these types of boards do you?

Here's some board pics
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gm5kh4uqzbn4omj/AABvj1t2fpWOb17Zzn6dYO2_a?dl=0

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
According to klov its amplified stereo, so you cant hook it up to the rca plugs. You could test it with one speaker.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Lower your +5v line a bit.

It should be set at+5.00v (or a little above) and hold constant.

Exceeding +5.25v is asking NOT a good thing.

---

With the board powered on: touch the bottom of the volume pot with your finger tip and listen for a buzzing noize from the cab.

A buzzing noise when you touch the volume pot will tell you if it's possible for a sound a sound signal to travel from the the volume pot to the (cab) speakers.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Lower your +5v line a bit.

It should be set at+5.00v (or a little above) and hold constant.

Exceeding +5.25v is asking NOT a good thing.

---

With the board powered on: touch the bottom of the volume pot with your finger tip and listen for a buzzing noize from the cab.

A buzzing noise when you touch the volume pot will tell you if it's possible for a sound a sound signal to travel from the the volume pot to the (cab) speakers.

I lowered the PSU +5v output and checked out the volume pot...I got a bit of static noise from the cab speakers...and what sounded like a faint radio station actually...that...I was not expecting hahaha. So...basically what that tells us is that the board is capable of outputting sound should it receive a signal to do so, correct?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If you want to sale drop me a pm, if you want it fixed drop me a pm but be warned I no longer work for flat rate buddy prices.