Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Um I mentioned pages and pages ago that the publisher probably wouldn't look kindly on you putting one of their publications up for public use.

Oh and I can assure you that MikeB is someone else entirely.

Darran,

In the banana famine staff crisis at your headquarters, I'm surprised you have the time to worry about copyright infringement. Besides that, if anyone were to post a scan from your magazine, you can be certain that Bobak or myself would quickly remove it.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Um I mentioned pages and pages ago that the publisher probably wouldn't look kindly on you putting one of their publications up for public use.

Oh and I can assure you that MikeB is someone else entirely.

I'm quite aware that Mike Bevan is a different person entirely. I just felt it fair to explain that his point about online polls and the supposed popularity of Mr Cambells articles came into question the moment his fiercest supporters where shown to be shady at best.

RevStu

n00b
He admitted on another forum that "Edge of Heaven" was a charade.

I don't suppose I should be surprised that you're so gargantuanly stupid you even managed to misunderstand that.

For the sake of the historical record, every single post I've made in this forum has been under the name RevStu. Plenty of people were eloquently and intelligently defending the feature against the onslaught of idiocy, I can't imagine why I would have wanted or needed to create one - it's not like I was pulling any punches under my own name. That you've faked a screenshot (or, stretching fairness and the bounds of probability to their limits, that there's been a technical hiccup misassigning an IP address, as someone has already suggested) proves nothing except that you're as malicious as you are stupid. (And wow, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, by embarrassing yourselves with an MS Paint hack job just at the point when you'd actually nailed a genuine if trivial error, after 28 pages of hilariously inept effort.)

That your extraordinary, hysterical witch-hunt paranoia extends to claiming that practically everyone who's defended the feature is secretly me, including other RG contributors posting openly under their REAL NAMES because they're not pathetic children pretending to be ninjas, merely demonstrates your desperation to find some pretext to suck each other's cocks on.

So thanks, kids. I thank you for the extra paying subscribers you've directed to my site, who've expressly stated both here and elsewhere that this thread was the reason. I thank you for so spectacularly surpassing Sam and I's modest goal of beating the previous replies record of 346, a total we've now exceeded by a margin of almost 600 and counting. I thank you for the great comedy, of which I think my bestest favourite was "I had to quote the squirrel pictures for context". And I thank you for reminding me why I don't recycle - the sooner your retard nation is reclaimed by the sea the better for all concerned. Cheerio!

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Horrifying. They just put me on 'ignore' over there rather than reply. Ah, the age of public discourse meets the hold tone.

For the record, it's funny that one of his forum member's talks about how this makes him dislike americans all the more, 'cause I'm sure the japanese fans wouldn't freak at that type of error and tone. But then again I'm just some evil yankee imperialist running dog, so whatevs.

Why are they trying to make this a British vs American thing? It's not as if only Americans were voicing their opinions in this thread. We're an international forum after all.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't suppose I should be surprised that you're so gargantuanly stupid you even managed to misunderstand that.

For the sake of the historical record, every single post I've made in this forum has been under the name RevStu. Plenty of people were eloquently and intelligently defending the feature against the onslaught of idiocy, I can't imagine why I would have wanted or needed to create one - it's not like I was pulling any punches under my own name. That you've faked a screenshot (or, stretching fairness and the bounds of probability to their limits, that there's been a technical hiccup misassigning an IP address, as someone has already suggested) proves nothing except that you're as malicious as you are stupid. (And wow, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, by embarrassing yourselves with an MS Paint hack job just at the point when you'd actually nailed a genuine if trivial error, after 28 pages of hilariously inept effort.)

That your extraordinary, hysterical witch-hunt paranoia extends to claiming that practically everyone who's defended the feature is secretly me, including other RG contributors posting openly under their REAL NAMES because they're not pathetic children pretending to be ninjas, merely demonstrates your desperation to find some pretext to suck each other's cocks on.

So thanks, kids. I thank you for the extra paying subscribers you've directed to my site, who've expressly stated both here and elsewhere that this thread was the reason. I thank you for so spectacularly surpassing Sam and I's modest goal of beating the previous replies record of 346, a total we've now exceeded by a margin of almost 600 and counting. I thank you for the great comedy, of which I think my bestest favourite was "I had to quote the squirrel pictures for context". And I thank you for reminding me why I don't recycle - the sooner your retard nation is reclaimed by the sea the better for all concerned. Cheerio!

You write about video games for a living.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
You know this whole thing gets worse and worse. The only person in this thread with any relation to RG that has handled himself well is Darran. I know some have said otherwise, but I disagree in whole.

This nam1972 guy whom is using another website to HIDE his IP is almost certainly Stu. Then other pathetic facts about Stu as an individual keep coming out of the wood work (such as the wikipedia thing). It is extremely difficult to imagine how anyone can have any sort of respect for this guy. Oh, the definitive is being voted the most popular feature? By who? Stu and his 100 fake accounts? The "Making Of" bits are easily the best part of RG, they are full of info that you can get no where else.

What is REALLY bothering me now though is I am curious about all the new members that joined up in the course of this thread in Stuart's defense. One of the mods here has already said many of them have suspect IPs. Darran has said Mike Bevan is NOT Stu. But then who is Mike Bevan? It might have been better if he were Stu. If it is revealed that any of these people are in any way, shape, or form related to the magazine then I will have lost pretty much all respect for the publication. Is RG a gang of thugs who will join up on any forum and attempt to bully people into believing that they are right and that is that?

This is coming from someone who has selflessly promoted the magazine for years running and encouraged all those interested in anything retro to buy it. Even I have limits. I'd also note this has nothing to do with me being a member of NG.com, but just as a person in complete disgust of what I've seen.

I know I will certainly never look at future issues in the same light. This has truly soiled what I believed to be one of the best things running. :(

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier

:lolz:

Have you ever used MS Paint? There's not a chance in hell wasabi could make it look even close to authentic. It's a real screencap.

You got busted, plain and simple. The only "hiccup" was that your retarded ass has never heard of IP masking.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

STFU. You are a 41 year old male but acts like a little girl when someone called you ugly. Seriously, if you are so awesome at what you do, you wouldn't be bothered by a little criticism from one of countless retrogaming websites.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

I should write definitive guides that mention MS1 has 5 levels, and get paid for it.

Sounds like a fantastic deal.

haha ... 'definitive'

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Why are they trying to make this a British vs American thing? It's not as if only Americans were voicing their opinions in this thread. We're an international forum after all.

it isn't really.
we have great british members here,
but instead of discussing the article they came in here
just throwing out insults, really unfunny insults to be honest.
But I never did get british humor.

hey.
sorry to see we can't get any scans on this.
I wouldn't mind seeing actual words to all this,
but seeing as this would have been an article written by
someone as acerbic as this fellow Stu,
I'm even more inclined to take bobak's review at his word.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Gametrailers.com Retrospectives are better than THE DEFINITIVE. You get less of a bitch fest from a 41 year old bachelor with a morbidly awful crew cut.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I should write definitive guides that mention MS1 has 5 levels, and get paid for it.

Sounds like a fantastic deal.

haha ... 'definitive'

Hey kern, I distinctly remember that Metal Slug only went to Mission 5. After that you had to enter the secret code to get the Final Mission.

But there never was a Mission 6.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member

Don't worry Stu, your ass might heal someday. E-Rape's a terrible thing, but then again, you're a terrible writer.

stucampbell_sig.jpg

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Hey kern, I distinctly remember that Metal Slug only went to Mission 5. After that you had to enter the secret code to get the Final Mission.

But there never was a Mission 6.

*awaits 20+ pages of arguing about how Final and 6 are synonymous*

:lolz:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You might be right actually, I only get my info from UK retro games publications where most of the information is either stolen from wikipedia, or staff members just plain up ask people on forums for their definitive guides.

I must be wrong, I've only been playing Metal Slug for years and years, but I'd rather take the word of 90's haircut man instead because he has 36,000 videogames - and obviously knows fuck all about them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That you've faked a screenshot (or, stretching fairness and the bounds of probability to their limits, that there's been a technical hiccup misassigning an IP address, as someone has already suggested) proves nothing except that you're as malicious as you are stupid.

No hiccup and no "hackjob." My use of MS Paint was simply to crop the part of the screen that displayed your fraud, while cutting out the rest of my screen information.

I am sorry that technology has been such a thorn in your side.

picture.php

28 posts with a masked IP address.

picture.php

2 that you were probably too lazy to cover.

did a search on the unmasked IP

http://www.realtech.co.za/realwiki.php?title=Special:Contributions/83.67.217.135

"Those comments are borderline libellous" - taken from
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:83.67.217.135&oldid=248438280

Whoa... "Mike Bevan"? Care to comment? Striking similar writing style...

Definitive on Copyright Infringement
by Stuart Campbell
http://www.rllmukforum.com/lofiversion/index.php?t23544-0.html

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire

"The IP thing is super-weird. Firstly, nobody noticed this apparently glaringly obvious ruse for 28 pages, even though nearly all the twats are mods who could see IPs on every post."

This is what you wrote on your own message board, and it sounds like a confession if I ever saw one. Then you come BACK here (and we presume we posted under nam1972 in the mean time, because you are far too egotistical to know when to quit) and say the MODs of this forum are making the whole thing up? That is ridiculous. On these forums, nearly ANYTHING flies. You should research this.

Unfortunately with your level of douche baggery it takes a bit of time to get these things confirmed. After all, it is SAFEST to assume they are you defending yourself. Yes, you are truly that sad.

It's unfortunate that you feel the need to sacrifice the reputation of Retro Gamer magazine for your own personal gain. I hope Darran is still reading.

Lovergoat

So you have never tried to assume a different identity to support your own argument?
# Keep These complaints appear to be entirely personally motivated. Very similar entries such as that for Julian Rignall have not been subjected to such requests. The claim that the subject created the entry himself is entirely unsubstantiated. As for the standard of the entry, I have now edited it to supply citations from various sources for most of the challenged items. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 83.67.217.135 (talk • contribs). — 83.67.217.135 (talk • contribs) has made few or no other edits outside this topic.
From a page on wikepedia regarding the potential deletion of a page titled "Stuart Campbell (video game journalist)." Please note the ip matching the very same ip in Wasabis alleged "photoshop", also note the unmistakable third person tone.
The claim that the subject created the entry himself is entirely unsubstantiated.
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Stuart_Campbell_(video_game_journalist)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The voice at the beginning of the last mission of MS1 says, "Mission 6 start," but the on-screen text says, "FINAL MISSION START!" That must be where all this confusion is coming from.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
How come there isn't anything about Metal Slug 3d?
Definitive my ass.

Lovergoat

Oh and just to shatter yet another of our favourite new members delusions. I'd just like to point out that this thread, contrary to what his enormous yet clearly immature and fragile ego tell him, doesn't even come close to the longest or most replied to thread.

Did you guys know he's scraping at some claim that "The thread is, after all, by an enormous margin the most popular single-topic thread in the 5-years-plus history of that forum."

What a monumental loser!

Please stop assuming this idiot somehow represents British people as a whole. He is an arse.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Oh and just to shatter yet another of our favourite new members delusions. I'd just like to point out that this thread, contrary to what his enormous yet clearly immature and fragile ego tell him, doesn't even come close to the longest or most replied to thread.

Did you guys know he's scraping at some claim that "The thread is, after all, by an enormous margin the most popular single-topic thread in the 5-years-plus history of that forum."

What a monumental loser!

Please stop assuming this idiot somehow represents British people as a whole. He is an arse.

only if you apologize for Thatcher...

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
How come there isn't anything about Metal Slug 3d?
Definitive my ass.

Did he cover the two NGPC games, or Metal Slug Advance?

Oh, and as the Brits go, he's got to do a lot to out-awesome folks like the Monty Python troupe, or Simon Pegg, just to name a couple of examples off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.