Is puzzled/ joy joy kid a decent game?

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Big fan of tetris and have a version on most of my consoles and this is where I am. Watched a bunch of videos to get a feel for it and it looks alright. Just wondering how it is from people who own it before I shell out for the one on the neo store that looks tempting. I know neo alec is doing it next but Im having a hard time waiting. And yay for my first topic try not to eat me alive.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
It's definitely different than Tetris, but honestly I quite enjoy playing it from time to time. I would say grab it if you can get it inexpensively.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It's definitely different than Tetris, but honestly I quite enjoy playing it from time to time. I would say grab it if you can get it inexpensively.

It’s definitely a fun little puzzle game. It was also one of the first MVS games I owned since it was pretty inexpensive at the time. I have no idea what it goes for these days tho.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I'm absolutely terrible at Puzzled and most Tetris clones, but I must also say I enjoy it a lot. The main gimmick makes each level different and challenging, and even if some stages seem impossible, I'm pretty sure there's always some trick to make things easier (I'm just too lazy to find out).
I just wish you could rotate the blocks in both directions like Tetris, the single direction makes escaping near-death situations harder than it should be.
In my opinion, it's worth the buy and I wish the Neo had more games like this one.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Currently planning to release the video Tuesday. Yeah, if you like Tetris, I think you will like it. The fact that all the player blocks fall when you complete a line puts enough of a new twist on the formula.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I’ve always called Puzzled “Tetris with a purpose”. Because instead of just making lines over and over with nothing but high scores as your goal, you actually have a point and an ending to the game. And it’s pretty challenging and long as well. It actually has a Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins style of “ending”. When you think you finally beat it, it’s only the half way point. But it does play more fairly then Tetris; much easier anyhow. In the sense that a cleared line also causes all the bricks to fall down to their lowest possible points which in turn makes it easier to continue clearing areas.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I'm absolutely terrible at Puzzled and most Tetris clones, but I must also say I enjoy it a lot. The main gimmick makes each level different and challenging, and even if some stages seem impossible, I'm pretty sure there's always some trick to make things easier (I'm just too lazy to find out).
I just wish you could rotate the blocks in both directions like Tetris, the single direction makes escaping near-death situations harder than it should be.
In my opinion, it's worth the buy and I wish the Neo had more games like this one.

A lot of Tetris clones inexplicably have this problem.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I think they thought they were simplifying the controls by having only one rotate button. It was still the early days -- Tetris on the Game Boy was a hit at the time. So maybe the gaming public could've been trusted with two rotate buttons, but they weren't confident about it at the time.

... Or they just intended it as a limitation that's part of the game mechanics.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

Probably because it makes the game 20% different. The threshold for cloning a product without violating patents and copyrights.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm not into this game. Owned it and tried to get into it, eventually traded it. The thing that bothered me most was trying to play a 4-way stick game on an 8-way. Not recommended. Just play Tetris (NES, Atari coin-op) or any TGM.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'm not into this game. Owned it and tried to get into it, eventually traded it. The thing that bothered me most was trying to play a 4-way stick game on an 8-way. Not recommended. Just play Tetris (NES, Atari coin-op) or any TGM.
Id assume it may be difficult to control with a stick. We will see. Hopefully the game stays a bit longer in the neo store by the time I get a good paycheck. I usually buy one neo geo game aes or mvs every few months. And its the only place I trust for legit releases as 8 of my 16 current games come from there.

I also don't mind the one button one way rotating as when I'm in a hectic spot my mind doesn't think to rotate left unless its a T block for a much needed T spin. But In either case looks like this will be my next game.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I know this is gonna sound quite obvious, but.. couldn't you just try the rom for free with emulation (Winkawaks, for example), and only then decide if you wanna shell out that kind of money for this game? ;)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I know this is gonna sound quite obvious, but.. couldn't you just try the rom for free with emulation (Winkawaks, for example), and only then decide if you wanna shell out that kind of money for this game? ;)
I don't mind having one button to rotate either. I usually go the long way around anyway, but if I had any real puzzle game skills, I probably would mind.

The video goes up tomorrow morning.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

If I had the means. I am currently inbetween things right now but I likely would do as you suggest. But like I said I am a huge Tetris fan and I'm really leaning towards it.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
I thought this game was terrible when I first played it - but it's alright once you get into it. Nice twist on Tetris. Nothing special though

I think they thought they were simplifying the controls by having only one rotate button. It was still the early days -- Tetris on the Game Boy was a hit at the time. So maybe the gaming public could've been trusted with two rotate buttons, but they weren't confident about it at the time.

... Or they just intended it as a limitation that's part of the game mechanics.

The original Atari Tetris Arcade game only uses one button - that has always annoyed the hell out of me. It would be a great game with 2. The dumb thing is - if you give people 2 rotate buttons - they can ignore one of them if they want. But if you give them one - it spoils it for the more advanced players,

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I don't mind having one button to rotate either. I usually go the long way around anyway, but if I had any real puzzle game skills, I probably would mind.

The video goes up tomorrow morning.

I feel the same with standard Tetris. I wonder if Raz can patch a second button rotation as a cheat for the unibios?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if this thread and NeoAlec's video will kickstart a price hike for this game.

I mean, it's already pretty spendy on both MVS and AES, but the only constant with Neo Geo is going up it seems.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I feel the same with standard Tetris. I wonder if Raz can patch a second button rotation as a cheat for the unibios?
Most of the Unibios cheats are just memory patches. That would seem to require reprogramming of the game code.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread and NeoAlec's video will kickstart a price hike for this game.

I mean, it's already pretty spendy on both MVS and AES, but the only constant with Neo Geo is going up it seems.
For Puzzled? From my channel? Have things gotten that bad?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
For Puzzled? From my channel? Have things gotten that bad?

Oh I'm sure our good friends at Metal Jesus will have you covered there. It's like when you say a funny joke, then the popular kid says it louder.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I can't stand Metal Jesus. Gameboy advance was cheap 4 years ago as I was able to pick up games at 5 bucks a pop. That was gone the moment he made a hidden gem horse shit video. To the topic, I was already interested in puzzled before Alec made the video and I was looking forward to viewing it as his past videos I really enjoyed.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Oh I'm sure our good friends at Metal Jesus will have you covered there. It's like when you say a funny joke, then the popular kid says it louder.

Do you REALLY think that Metal Skeezuz, a guy who knows jack about the Neo, the guy who gets confused by MVS and AES, is going to talk about a game like Joy Joy Kid all of a sudden? Do you think any mainstream gaming YouTuber will drop what they’re doing and cover something like Joy Joy Kid? If you do, you’re out of your mind. Joy Joy Kid is one of the more fringe games on the platform and it will remain that way.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Puzzled/Joyjoy Kid is awesome. Period.

It brings more challenge/strategy than just pulling tetris lines.

It's however just too expensive for a "tetris" clone game.