PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I have a SSDS3 Rev 1 w/no reversed cap
Stock Mega Drive 2 rev 4 Stereo audio cables picked up from the local flea market
PCE Coregrafx I with original silkscreen on the top and original 100v PSU, (I noticed alot of people are using the 110v adapter which may burn out your system faster), original controller that has never been used outside of being taken out to take pictures of
PCE Core Grafx I box with original foam inserts and baggies. Sadly the twist ties are aftermarket
Sony PVM 2530 with original box and manual. Also has original remote
Sandisk Ultra 64 GB microSD with Sandisk SD adapter
SSDS3 Iso pack with good bin/cue files

I haven't even hooked it up yet, I just like looking at the setup on my memaw table, Hopefully I can borrow her flip phone so I can take some pictures to post so everyone can tell me how cool I am.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Been messing around with mine for about a half hour so far. Took out my flip phone ;) and loaded up Valis 2 people talk about seeing diagonal lines on and tried Bonk's blue sky too, and on my BVM-D20 it looks nice and purdy at first glance (don't mind the regular weirdness you get from taking pics of a CRT):

zponU6v.jpg

tZswtpj.jpg

Audio BUZZ is definitely there though. Like without any doubt whatsoever. I tested the same Genesis 2 cable on my buddies Genesis 2 and the audio is perfect (as are all my other systems). Using high quality upgraded coax cable with Phoenix connectors from Retro-Access. Hoping the firmware update fixes the audio (or DIY is fine too).

Don't have my OSSC hooked up right now to test on the flatscreen.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Been messing around with mine for about a half hour so far. Took out my flip phone ;) and loaded up Valis 2 people talk about seeing diagonal lines on and tried Bonk's blue sky too, and on my BVM-D20 it looks nice and purdy at first glance (don't mind the regular weirdness you get from taking pics of a CRT):

zponU6v.jpg

tZswtpj.jpg

Audio BUZZ is definitely there though. Like without any doubt whatsoever. I tested the same Genesis 2 cable on my buddies Genesis 2 and the audio is perfect (as are all my other systems). Using high quality upgraded coax cable with Phoenix connectors from Retro-Access. Hoping the firmware update fixes the audio (or DIY is fine too).

Now lets us see it closer, ENHANCE!

Finally got around to testing and so far I have zero issues with my SuperGrafx (with original 100v PSU). Just loaded up Valis 2 and Bonk and could not hear any audio issues. Using a Genesis 2 C-SYNC coax cable from retro-access to a gscartsw 3.4 with 3.5mm audio going to a pair of bookshelf speakers.

fernan1234

War Room Troll
Does anyone have any info on how long shipping is taking for orders placed in the last few days? The SSDS3 shows as In Stock when you put it in your cart so I assumed they would ship quickly. I placed an order last week but haven't seen any shipping update though.

TKP

n00b
I just received my order! (Placed: 02/15/2018) I will test it out with a C-Sync cable (eBay: thefoo.83), a Radio Shack ac adapter (that solved audio/video noise issues I had on Super Famicom) and my OSSC. Let me know if there's any titles or anything else anyone would like me to test on this setup.

fernan1234

War Room Troll
^^Read the thread:rolleyes:

I did read the thread. I've seen posts by folks just receiving their units after ordering months earlier, and I also saw that some units a couple of weeks ago were being delayed to reverse a cap. What I don't know is if such delays continue to be an issue or not. That's why I asked if anyone has current info.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I did read the thread. I've seen posts by folks just receiving their units after ordering months earlier, and I also saw that some units a couple of weeks ago were being delayed to reverse a cap. What I don't know is if such delays continue to be an issue or not. That's why I asked if anyone has current info.

If you order one today, expect 6 to 8 weeks before it ships as they are still fulfilling previous orders.

fernan1234

War Room Troll
Thanks for the helpful reply. Too bad it's kind of a long wait still, but worth it for what really seems to be a great product with small flaws.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Thanks for the helpful reply. Too bad it's kind of a long wait still, but worth it for what really seems to be a great product with small flaws.

Long wait pal?

Try ordering Kraut Buster from NG.dev... 3 YEARS... and counting...

You are ordering a cool device for a DEAD system....

Just sayin' my man...

xROTx

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's a risk you have to take with independent hardware manufacturers.

It's going on one year now for Paprium from Watermelon Corp...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
It's a risk you have to take with independent hardware manufacturers.

It's going on one year now for Paparium from Watermelon Corp...

I APPRECIATE THAT MAN...

I am sayin'... a 4-8 week postage time aint gonna fuckin' kill you....

So unless you have something more substantial to say... keep out of my way...

xROTx

Loukey

n00b
Does anyone have any info on how long shipping is taking for orders placed in the last few days? The SSDS3 shows as In Stock when you put it in your cart so I assumed they would ship quickly. I placed an order last week but haven't seen any shipping update though.

Ordered mine on 12/12/17. Still awaiting receipt. Don’t complain about a week or two.

AirZonk

n00b
I ordered mine in February and just got it yesterday. Terraonion upgraded the shipping for me which was very nice of them. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try it out until the weekend.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The move from Rev 1 boards to Rev 2 added time. Switching the capacitor added time.

There's people in line ahead of you, added time.

Weeks worth of unexpected time has unfortunately been added.

That's a cliff's notes so if you want more information, omg, you'll have to read the thread.

TKP

n00b
I ordered mine in February and just got it yesterday. Terraonion upgraded the shipping for me which was very nice of them. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to try it out until the weekend.

I forgot to mention, he upgraded mine too! Very nice indeed!

jcoelho

n00b
The SSDS3 is a thing of beauty, I'm really, really enjoying it. The video quality is great even on composite video! I've been having some troubles at finding a proper romset though, not enough seeds for the ones I found and some of them claim to be "complete" even though they're far from there :o/

jcoelho

n00b
Hi Black_Tiger,

Is there any chance for you to share that "complete" set? Probably a PM? I've struggled to find one.

Thanks.

I finished unzipping and converting a "complete" set of Turbo/PCE isos. Often a Japanese version is not included if there is an English version of a game. Some demos are included. It seems to be as complete as can be expected for commercial releases, except Daisenryaku II is missing. It currently totals 438 discs and takes up 174GB. So a 256GB sd card has plenty of room for published homebrew, hacks and translations.

Opening the folder of CD games in the SSS3 menu takes 13 seconds and then navigating through them is as fast as folders of any format or size. My HuCard rom folder has 768 files, is 218MB in size and takes a split second to open. It includes translations, sound roms, hes files and misc demos.

Traditional sound roms don't usually work with the SSS3, but some do. Sound roms made by Deflemask that I've tried have not worked. Hes files don't show up in the list. Tom's adpcm example roms, which are decoded by the PC Engine's cpu and not the IFU chip, play fine. So for now, the Turbo Everdrive is still relevant for its ability to play chiptune rips. But it's still much easier to navigate through HuCard roms on the SSS3.

I'd resisted stretching out my SSS3 by trying it on my unmodified TG-16 until today. After spending a lot of time using it with my white PC Engine, I noticed a lot more static/lines/misc across picture when a CD game was loading or certain processes were happening during games of any kind. During typical gameplay segments though, there was only the minimal jailbars I described before. This PC Engine has an RGB mod which produces a picture as perfect as I've seen with various video mods performed by various people. It also has a region switch mod.

When I tried the SS3 with my unmodified TurboGrafx-16 (and SMS psu), I found none of those picture issues during processes and the in-game jailbars are pretty much invisible while the screen is moving. Knowing exactly what a stronger version of them looks like makes them more apparent to me, but they're still difficult to pick out at first, even when a game is paused.

This is why I wanted to report imperfections with a disclaimer about the setups I was trying. Many people take recommended settings as an "excuse" for problems with a product. I've already narrowed down not only a range of issues from using a cheap power supply and possibly unoptimal RGB cable, but it now seems that a jailbar fix, RGB or region switch mods are also the cause of picture quality degradation.

I'm probably going to go back to my original plan of getting an umodified CoreGrafx with stock power supply to use withe SSS3 and a Packapunch MD2 cable without audio breakout. I'll just use a TED with my modded SuperGrafx when I feel like playing SGX games.

Thanks a lot. SMS and model 1 Genesis ac adaptors have always been very hard to find locally and all of my official SMS and Mark III psus cut out when the cord is bent a certain way.

fernan1234

War Room Troll
Point taken.

I've been waiting on a PSIO order for much longer than this so I'm okay with waiting. It's just that when you order something that is marked as "in stock" in kind of sets your expectations in a certain way, you know?

Regarding good rom sets for this device, wouldn't the No Intro dumps be the preferred choice? For CD games I think they only have individual downloads set up though, but I could be wrong.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

I don't think anyone has seen the noise on a CRT, which is great. Only seems to pop-up on HDtvs using composite video as sync cables (such as retrovision). Then depending on a host of issues outside of the SSDS3 (PSU, filtering on the TV, components with the system) you may have some video noise.

TKP

n00b
I don't think anyone has seen the noise on a CRT, which is great. Only seems to pop-up on HDtvs using composite video as sync cables (such as retrovision). Then depending on a host of issues outside of the SSDS3 (PSU, filtering on the TV, components with the system) you may have some video noise.

No noise on my 51 inch Samsung plasma thruough an OSSC. I tryed out Bonk and Valis 2, no noise at all. It did take a second to sync when I powered on but work fine from there. I did manage to notice the hum while playing Sapphire, but I had to really try. I already had a Turbo Everdrive, but I'm really happy to add CD support and RGB to my Core 2. I'm a very pleased customer.