Nintendo Switch

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I have bought HD Remix for the 360 and I've instantly regretted the purchase. How is it possible that even now people think what Udon has done to the original graphics is OK in any way, shape or form? I can't stand the updated sprites. That western faux-manga style just gets on my nerves. It's like Dreamwave Comics way back when people thought westernized manga look was actually cool. It wasn't.

Ha ha. Dreamwave Transfromers G1 run drawn by Pat Lee was awesome. Joe Madureira's Battle Chasers and Uncanny/Astonishing X-Men was awesome. Jim Lee is probably the greatest comic artist that has ever lived. Every single one of them are heavily influenced by Japanese art. If you can manage to blend the best of both styles it works great, I guess the problem lies in the actual talent of the artist but the mix f the two styles works well if done proper.

Funny that Jim Lee was influenced by Japanese art and Capcom was influenced by Jim Lee...I guess some artist don't really give a fuck about regions and different styles.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Jim Lee is probably the greatest comic artist that has ever lived.

I was going to argue this fact with pictures and a wall of text, but fuck it, art is subjective.

I liked UDON's art for HDR.

The only thing really keeping me from fully enjoying Greg Capullo's work is the fact that he used to draw Spawn, and I can still see the stench of McFarlane in his current stuff.

I liked Jim Lee better when he was at Marvel. His X-Men are iconic second only to Kirby.

Speaking of Kirby, he still shits on anyone currently in the industry today.

None of this is OT, but Id be happy to discuss this in it's own thread.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Ha ha. Dreamwave Transfromers G1 run drawn by Pat Lee was awesome.

I never got into the new Transformers stuff. It wasn't interesting to me. In fact, while I did like some of Dreamwave's originals [Darkminds], heavy use of digital tools was a turn-off for me back then. Sometimes I felt like they were going through all of the Photoshop's stock filters, including the ridiculous lens flare. Depth of field in a hand drawn comic? No, thank you. Not that others didn't use digital tools [Top Cow], but DW took it to the next level. They were routinely photoshopping themselves into images of explosions or some other action scenes.

Jim Lee is probably the greatest comic artist that has ever lived.

I wouldn't call him the greatest, but he's up there. I loved his X-Men. His art is so good I can totally forgive him for making everyone squint all the time.

FilthyRear said:
The only thing really keeping me from fully enjoying Greg Capullo's work is the fact that he used to draw Spawn, and I can still see the stench of McFarlane in his current stuff.

Where's the McFarlane hate coming from? He's a great artist. I loved his Spider-Man. I was devastated when Erik Larsen took over after him. Everyone was so damn ugly and disproportionate. The only thing missing from going full Liefeld was the gazillion teeth. But, being completely honest, I think I liked Capullo's Spawn better than McFarlane's.

As for "great artists", there's probably no point in listing names. There are so many of them, across countries, studios, etc. But yeah, we can make a separate thread for this.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Capullo draws the best Spawn, although medina's was awesome too. Yes he did inherit those dirty lines from MCcFarlane, but then again I guess it adds atmosphere, you know, homeless shit and all.

As for photoshop. I hear what you are saying, but that's just how the colorist jobbers evolved. They all had to start somewhere with new tools. Also, if you know anything about comic production then you'd prolly know that the coloring process actually became more and more geared towards the artist rather than geared towards production. When the printing industry changed so did the role of the colorists.

There are plenty of good and bad examples of coloring, just like there are good and bad examples of anatomy and what have you. MacFarlane (Which I'm a big fan of as well) can be pretty harsh with anatomy, almost lazy if you will. Also his scratch dirty lines are useless, they serve no other purpose other than distraction, at least that's how I feel about it. His best time as an artist was during the first year of Spawn, prolly 'cause he felt tremendous freedom, what I really liked about his style the most was the page layouts, really cool stuff back then.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Been playing Splatoon 2 the last few days and I agree that it feels more like an expansion instead of a proper sequel. I like the minor improvements they made but they dropped the ball in a few areas like not being able to pick levels, the other modes not being as fun as turf war, and no supported voice chat option. Salmon run is fun but it should be available at all times.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Great system,looking forward to play Super Mario odyssey!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Anyone get either of the Psikyo releases on the eshop? I got Gunbarich and it's a lot of fun. I can't see me playing it for long though. I will probably get Strikers 1945 at some point.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Been playing Splatoon 2 the last few days and I agree that it feels more like an expansion instead of a proper sequel. I like the minor improvements they made but they dropped the ball in a few areas like not being able to pick levels, the other modes not being as fun as turf war, and no supported voice chat option. Salmon run is fun but it should be available at all times.

Well, this Splatfest went a bit more like the first...except maybe worse. So many ketchup vs ketchup matches that it was just nuts. Not sure how the effects the final tallies, but I think Nintendo needs to figure something out or else it's going to be a mess. I'm sure many people are voting only because of Marina, but I just like ketchup more. Haha. And honestly, should have been Ketchup vs Mustard here in the US.

Still enjoying it and did make it up to the highest ranking, so got plenty of those snails to upgrade my equipment.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Gunbarich is awesome - one of my pcb-sell regrets. It's best when playing competitively against others.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Gunbarich is awesome!!! I'm so happy!!! I think I got my PCB from chief or you, can't remember.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Word is out that a sequel has been made -- Dragon Quest Builders 2 -- and it's going to Switch (and PS4.)

Takes the good parts of minecraft, removes the annoying shit of minecraft, and then blends with the elements of DQ the fans love. Seems like it could be a lot of fun.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Gunbarich is awesome!!! I'm so happy!!! I think I got my PCB from chief or you, can't remember.

Gunbarich is awesome - one of my pcb-sell regrets. It's best when playing competitively against others.

I am enjoying it, but this release seems a bit bare. I've not played the game before, but there are no different modes and no multiplayer option.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ha ha. Dreamwave Transfromers G1 run drawn by Pat Lee was awesome. Joe Madureira's Battle Chasers and Uncanny/Astonishing X-Men was awesome. Jim Lee is probably the greatest comic artist that has ever lived. Every single one of them are heavily influenced by Japanese art. If you can manage to blend the best of both styles it works great, I guess the problem lies in the actual talent of the artist but the mix f the two styles works well if done proper.

Funny that Jim Lee was influenced by Japanese art and Capcom was influenced by Jim Lee...I guess some artist don't really give a fuck about regions and different styles.

You all realize SF2 has an option to set the graphics to old school right?

On another token though I wouldnt buy the game for the sole fact violent ken, evil ryu, and akuma are selectable in ranked. I know how online would go in ranked. Out of 10 fights 8 would consist of those characters and one would be ken and one would be ryu. They really broke the game there more than it already was.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Salmon run feels almost impossible at the higher levels, especially at high tide when there is very little room to navigate around the level and you got like 5 bosses coming at all directions.
It doesnt help that three of the four weapons you might get stuck with suck balls. Haven't tried using the voice chat app for the game yet but i dont plan on using it. And yeah splatfest was crazy, i picked ketchup and fought nothing but ketchup but mayo somehow won.

Also the arcade stick looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJ0juxJ_Fg&t=548s

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I am enjoying it, but this release seems a bit bare. I've not played the game before, but there are no different modes and no multiplayer option.

What a bout the graphics? Is the game filtered? The screenshots make it look like it is. I'm tempted for this game but if it's filtered I'm not gonna bite.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Salmon run feels almost impossible at the higher levels, especially at high tide when there is very little room to navigate around the level and you got like 5 bosses coming at all directions.
It doesnt help that three of the four weapons you might get stuck with suck balls. Haven't tried using the voice chat app for the game yet but i dont plan on using it. And yeah splatfest was crazy, i picked ketchup and fought nothing but ketchup but mayo somehow won.

Also the arcade stick looks good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJ0juxJ_Fg&t=548s

Finally did my first Salmon run. It wasn't too bad, obviously just starting out though. As long as I don't get the charger, I don't have too much trouble with the weapons. The machine gun one can be a bit of a pain sometime if you don't hit what's coming right at you. I can only imagine how nuts it gets though at higher levels.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
This is the stick I got yesterday
What do you think of it so far? I've seen the Hori so far and also some random 8bitdo pad hacks (the official stick isn't out yet)?

I want to get a Switch soon and the USF online is one of the main draws along with all the NG ports. Can any of you give a bit of advice as far as arcade sticks go that would be worthwhile? It looks like these are all fairly lightweight, but not much else to go on. :)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hey we talked about it on the last page or the one before that. The Brook Fighting board supports switch, do it up!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Are any of you other guys still having a hell of a time finding a Switch console? I mean FFS the darn thing came out like 6 months ago and still cant find one anywhere :(

Do I just have sh!t luck?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Are any of you other guys still having a hell of a time finding a Switch console? I mean FFS the darn thing came out like 6 months ago and still cant find one anywhere :(

I watch brickseek and locally to me the walmarts get about 2 at a time, but they seem to get them every few days. I also see them available on Amazon sporadically but they go extremely quick. It would seem with so few coming available for retail that you probably are not alone in having difficulty finding one.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Gamestop gets them once a week, I'm sure it's a different day for each store but the one I go to had them Tuesday, yesterday I met an old friend there by coincidence and he picked up a switch, they get few like 3 or 4 at a time. It's not your luck, Nintendo's wacky strategy I guess, not your fault.

Last edited: