Karnov's Revenge Booting as Fighters History Dynamite

mcjefe

n00b
Hello Everyone,

I just recently picked up a copy of Karnov's Revenge on MVS. The label is original and says 'Karnov's Revenge'. I have a US big red 6 slot cabinet.

When I boot the game, the title screen and character selection screen both show 'Fighters History Dynamite'. I thought that was the Japanese name of the game. Shouldn't the game boot up as 'Karnov's Revenge' if I am using it in my US 6 slot cabinet?

I don't have my unibios installed yet, so I'm not sure what could be going on. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I have a similar Karnov's Revenge cart and MVS setup, and I see what you see. I thought it was weird, too, when I first got the game but never really checked into it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Your cab may be a US cab but the 6 slot board inside sounds either Euro or JP.

NeoLucian

New Challenger
Hello Everyone,

I just recently picked up a copy of Karnov's Revenge on MVS. The label is original and says 'Karnov's Revenge'. I have a US big red 6 slot cabinet.

When I boot the game, the title screen and character selection screen both show 'Fighters History Dynamite'. I thought that was the Japanese name of the game. Shouldn't the game boot up as 'Karnov's Revenge' if I am using it in my US 6 slot cabinet?

I don't have my unibios installed yet, so I'm not sure what could be going on. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I think it would depend on what Region the Bios is from, even if you have a U.S. cab it could have a Japanese Board/Bios.
Once your Unibios is installed you should be able to select between Regions and see both titles of the Game by switching between regions.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Once your Unibios is installed you should be able to select between Regions and see both titles of the Game by switching between regions.

Then, you'll also get to enjoy the european difficulty bug in Sonic Wings 3, the american cities in Dunk Dream or even... red(!) blood in Samurai Spirits. Whoa! The texts in all those quiz games won't change to English, though, and Master of Syougi won't unfortunately change to chess, as the Mahjong trio won't change to dominoes. D'oh...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Then, you'll also get to enjoy the european difficulty bug in Sonic Wings 3, the american cities in Dunk Dream or even... red(!) blood in Samurai Spirits. Whoa! The texts in all those quiz games won't change to English, though, and Master of Syougi won't unfortunately change to chess, as the Mahjong trio won't change to dominoes. D'oh...

Quiz Daisousasen 2 would be a pretty good game for a fan translation though as it's seriously wacky.

mcjefe

n00b
I think it would depend on what Region the Bios is from, even if you have a U.S. cab it could have a Japanese Board/Bios.

Did SNK do that? My cab was manufactured in 1990. Maybe they didn’t have a ‘US’ bios at that point in time?

I don’t think it has a Japanese bios because Aero Fighters boots as Aero Fighters and all carts I play have English text except for Neo Bomberman and Super Dodge Ball of course.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Did SNK do that? My cab was manufactured in 1990. Maybe they didn’t have a ‘US’ bios at that point in time?

I don’t think it has a Japanese bios because Aero Fighters boots as Aero Fighters and all carts I play have English text except for Neo Bomberman and Super Dodge Ball of course.

Your bios could be European then.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Did you buy this cab from SNK in 1990 and have it boxed up all this time? something could have changed... :envy:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
This is a well known & well documented tidbit with certain 3rd party neogeo carts. The bios for USA & EURO (as well as the much later ASIA region bios plays most carts in "English", but not in "USA".

For example, some carts have 3 title screens, not just 2.
And it's not always obvious with the third screen. They can even be named the same. As well as which one was intended to be the TRUE "USA" title screen. (originally, it was dependent on wether or not the third party company (such as Taito or Data East was going to distribute it themselves) or if SNK would do so.

Games like:
Bust A Move / Puzzle Bobble
Street Slam / Street Hoop
Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3
are perfect examples of this phenomenon.

Your HOME console (even a perfectly legit factory untouched & unmodded USA system) will not display the "intended" title screen / (region mode) of one of those Cartridges because of this.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Due the easy region mod of the NGCD, you can check the CD games for different titles.
Street Hoop has 3 Titles ( Street hoop/Street Slam/Dunk Dreams) and 2 game modes. The jpn/eu will have world teams while the US Version has NBA Teams and some different team looks.

Puzzle Bobble / Bust a move i only saw 2 titles if you dont count the japanese language ( its also the same on NGP/NGPC)

Dont know about sonic wings 3 as i only got 2 on CD.